/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Spirituality?

FideiDefensor
05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Greetings,
As a Catholic, I am unfamiliar with Islamic spirituality. While I've read books about Rabia al-Basri and Sufi spirituality, it is my impression that to some Muslims, Sufis tend to deviate from the mainstream. Therefore, my question is, what are some of the more common devotional practices in Islam besides the ritual prayers and the prayer bread? Does Islam value a "personal relationship with God"? What are the main aspects, themes, and focus of Islamic spirituality? For example, in Catholicism, one of the practice was Lectio Divina, in which we read a short portion from the Scriptures, and pray/meditate for God to "speak" to us.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Greetings, FideiDefensor , and welcome to the forum.

format_quote Originally Posted by FideiDefensor
what are some of the more common devotional practices in Islam besides the ritual prayers and the prayer bread? Does Islam value a "personal relationship with God"?
Absolutely. We engage in zhikr, meaning remembrance, glorifying, praising, and exalting Allah's Majesty, quietly on our tongues, and in our minds and hearts, as well as asking forgiveness, and making our personal supplications. These we can do any time, and indeed are encouraged to do as much as possible. If you walk past a Muslim whose lips are moving, be that walking down the street, on the bus, or wherever, chances are they are doing zhikr.

Many Muslims also wake up in the last third of the night, when no one can see them, the world is quiet and asleep, and no one knows, put their heads on the floor in humility and prostration, and praise Allah and beseech Him, and pour their hearts out to him.

I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace.

Addition: Prayer beads don't have a basis in Islam, though some use them to count how many times they've made a certain praise if they had a target number in mind.

Hulk
05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Oh dear. this is huge.

FideiDefensor
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Absolutely. Actually, is there a term to describe personal prayer in Islam? The term "salah" seems to only refer to the daily ritual prayer. Also, is zikir the same as tasbih? I have seen quite a few Muslim men carrying them around while travelling, and I wonder if it is the same thing you're talking about.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Does Islam value a "personal relationship with God"? What are the main aspects, themes, and focus of Islamic spirituality?
Peace

Like the sister said we can constantly remember God by praising him, some common praises we'll say are: Subhan'Allah, Alhamdulillah and AllahuAkbar - meaning: Glory be to Allah, Praise be to Allah and Allah is Great. We can do this without the need for prayer beads.

Regarding our personal relationship with God, this is different on an individual basis - there are no guidlines for this. Some people will 'talk' to Him like a friend others will raise their hands and ask of Him what ever they need and want. We don't literally expect the Al-Mighty to talk back to us but we do get our responses through small signs and guidence.

Insaanah
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Actually, is there a term to describe personal prayer in Islam? The term "salah" seems to only refer to the daily ritual prayer.
The word for personal supplication is du'aa.

Also, is zikir the same as tasbih?
Zhikr is remembrance. Tasbeeh, by definition, is glorification, though in some parts of the world, people use it to refer to beads as well.

Hulk
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Taskiyah tun nafs or tassawuf are terms used for "purification of the heart". I am a very beginner student so I can only say what I know from my perspective.

In a very simple way to explain it.. It is about differentiating between yourself and your nafs. What is your nafs? I want to say carnal desire but I don't think it would do it justice. It's your "animalistic desires" but since you're not an animal it is the human version. Ok that was a terrible explanation. It's the thing that makes a man steal a glance at a woman, it's the thing that makes you see want to eat a burger after seeing a macdonald ad, many things..

Our heart obviously cannot see like our eyes see, hear like our ears hear. However, it can perceive. We have a perceiving heart and as long as we keep our heart pure we would be able to perceive reality for what it is. Meaning we will be free from "facades". Or what master shifu tells po in kung fu panda.. "inner peace".

There is a lot to learn in this field and for me to just say it does not do it justice. It's like a cup of tea, you can tell people how awesome it is but they won't really know unless they take a sip themselves.

We have both the "inner" and "outer" parts of Islam and they both come hand in hand and can't be separated.

I'm actually very sleepy now many I can contribute another day InshaAllah (God willing). Goodnight..

Fiona
05-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Does Islam value a "personal relationship with God"?
I think so. After all when you are all alone and there is no one around to hear you, there is God you can talk to. He is always listening to what you have to say. And we can say whatever we want when we are alone with Him. If this is not a personal relationship, what is it?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!