/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Not the typical new convert

Sumaiya54
05-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Asalaamu Aleikum

This forum as helped me a lot with my problems and inshaAllah it will help me with this one too.
After saying my Shahada a month and 9 days ago, I was very happy and planning on saying it at the Masjid soon after that. 2 weeks later, I started praying and have prayed every single prayer after that. I was never on a "extreme" like a lot of new converts and was taking it slow. Then, suddenly, I had some doubts about why Islam is the right religion. One of my only Muslim friends was mad at me, and everything seemed to be going wrong. I am not feeling this right now but am not feeling any better.
I think that all I need is more Muslim friends but I dont know where to find any. I fasted a couple of days ago to become closer to Allah SWT but it was not that hard and I didnt learn anything.

Any advice??

Salaam :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
05-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Interesting. You know after I accepted Islam I also found that fasting wasn't that hard. Until Ramadan came around. Then I truly learned to appreciate food and not to take it for granted. I also learned a few things about myself...

If you accepted Islam for the sake of your Muslim friend or any other people, you are learning now that they'll let you down. If you became a Muslim because of your belief in Allah, and Allah alone, then He will never let you down.

I think it would be good for you get more Muslim friends as staying in the company of believers will help strengthen your faith. It's tough being a Muslim in this country where people hate our deen so much but if you appreciate this guidance that Allah (swt) has given you then you have to work for it and appreciate it. Make sure you do a lot of dhikr and also try to watch some Islamic lectures. I find that also helps me when I am feeling a little down.

In shaa Allah another member here will advise you better than me as I too have not been a Muslim for a year yet and I have much to learn.

May Allah ease everything for you and strengthen your heart and your faith. Ameeeeen

marwen
05-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I think that's a normal feeling. Every muslim experiences sometimes moments of low faith (because of sins or because of being too much involved in life). Also eeman (faith) is something which is built gradually with more worship and with getting more knowledge.
Any time you can get doubts and negative ideas, we all feel that so don't put too much importance on these doubts and keep getting more knowledge and more closeness to Allah by making worship. And whenever you feel like that, just keep in mind that you are on the right path and Allah is in your side.

I advise you my sister to read Qur'an whenever you feel this, as much verses as you can, this will confirm your knowledge and strengthen your eeman. Also try to watch islamic lectures and courses. And always make dua and ask Allah to always guide you.

I suggest you to read this hadeeth which proves that any person, even the companions of the prophet PBUH, feel sometimes their eeman becomes low and they need to strengthen their faith from time to time. (of course the low eeman of the companions is even better than our eeman) :
Abu Rib'i Hanzala ibn ar-Rabi' al-Usaydi the scribe, one of the scribes of the Messenger of Allah, said, "Abu Bakr, may Allah be pleased with him, met me and said, 'How are you, Hanzala?' I said, 'Hanzala is a hypocrite!' I said, Glory be to Allah! What are you saying!' I said, 'We were with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, who reminded us of the Garden and the Fire and it was as if we could see them with our eyes. When we leave the presence of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, we attend to our wives, children and estates in a state of great heedlessness.' Abu Bakr said, 'By Allah, we have experienced the same as this!' So Abu Bakr and I went to visit the Messenger of Allah and I said, 'Hanzala is a hypocrite, Messenger of Allah!' The Messenger of Allahmay Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'Why is that?' I said, 'Messenger of Allah, when we are with you,you remind us of the Garden and Fire and it is as if we could see them with our eyes. When we leave your presence, we attend to our wives, children and estates in a state of great heedlessness.' The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'By the One in whose hand my soul is, if you were to remain in the state you are in when you are in my presence and in the dhikr, the angels would shake hands with you on your bed and in the street, but, Hanzala, different times are not the same.' three times." [Muslim]

Hulk
05-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Hello sis my advice is for you to first gain more knowledge about Islam! In my opinion the best way is to learn from a teacher, I've mentioned this a few times before so forgive me if I am telling you again, are you already doing this?

I really believe that one of the best way to strengthen your iman is to increase your knowledge. Imagine your iman is like a flower and knowledge is the soil, the more soil you ground your flower in the firmer it will be.

I can't emphasize the importance of having a teacher enough as some things if you read them blindly can cause you to misunderstand and be even more confused.
---

Sis aprender posted some cool videos which I think would be beneficial!

Also, and this is very important, take care of your heart!Always try to avoid thoughts or actions which would make you arrogant. I'm talking about genuine humility and not the "fake kind". Learn more about adab, or "etiquette" in the Islamic sense. These are very important things in our deen which are sometimes overlooked.

Oh! And I know it might sound strange but try to limit your visit to forums. I find that sometimes it can lead to a "numb" heart because you face all kinds of "misconceptions" before you have even attained proper knowledge and sometimes what you do to go through this is to harden your heart. Our hearts should not be hard.

If you find that visiting forums have been causing this then take some time off. Also if what is causing you doubts are the certain action of muslims then know that they are the ones with the problem and not Islam. If it is because of certain opinions of some muslims in matters of deen know that there are many different opinions by different scholars in the deen. We might not agree but we respect all the same.

Take care !

PS: Sis I recall you once mentioned that you're about 13 years old. If that is so then MashaAllah to start on a path of knowledge at such a young age is incredible. In the next few years you will probably face a lot of challenges both in terms of peers and within yourself.

When I was in my teenage years I was very "childish" (even now, just look at my nick). But around 17+ I began to reflect upon the purpose of life. From the looks of it you have started at a much earlier age than me MashaAllah.

Never forget to pray for guidance every night!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sumaiya54
05-12-2012, 10:05 PM
JazakAllah everyone!
Your adivice has guided me so much
Salaam :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!