/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in bed?

BadOlPuttyTat
05-13-2012, 02:42 AM
Ok i am no animal lover but i love my dog who is my first and only pet. Her name is Angel and she is part Chihuahua and part dash hound. She is VERY fearful and cannot be left alone or outside because she will have a total panic attack. So i designate a spot on my bed (its rather large) for her to sleep on with her own set of blankets. But she still thinking 2 feet is to far away from me so she instead sneaks and crawls into my blankets next to me. I am told although i have not read that in the Quran dogs are considered unclean and its best to leave them outside. Also i hear black dogs are not desired as they are deemed evil or demonic. I find this hard to believe so i come to you people.
Would my adorable 10 pound, black, Chiweenie be deemed evil or haraam to have int he same bed? :hmm:imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FREAK-A-ZOID
05-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Why don't you get a bunny from the fluffy bunny institute?

dqsunday
05-13-2012, 04:38 PM
If I recall correctly the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wasalam) said angels won't enter a house which contains a dog. I can't remember where this is mentioned...if its in the Qur'an or the hadith (forgive me I am new to Islam and still have a long way to go to remember proper references to validate things. I just remember coming across this at some point in my research/reading). May be from a book about Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wasalam) by Lings, which I read not all that long ago.

As for the issue with your dog being afraid of everything, I suggest reading/watching Cesar Millan (aka The Dog Whisperer). He has worked quite a bit with dogs who are afraid of everything or something specific. I think its very important for us animal lovers to remember..they are always animals, not furry babies. Even little dogs are still dogs first so best to treat them as dogs (not badly etc, just using methods more dog like, as dogs would do naturally with each other).

Crate training is a great method too. Just don't use it as a punishment, but demonstrate over a period of time the crate is a safe spot for your dog. Make him want to spend time in the crate, so it knows its safe in there. Leaving the door open and encouraging your dog to enter using enticing treats and praise when he stays in of his own accord and letting him come out a few second later to start...will build it his confidence. After awhile he will go to his crate as a safe place to be.You can keep it in your room so he feels comforted by you being there. At start you can always put in one of your old shirts (which you have worn for awhile so it has your scent) into the crate, as a way for him to feel you are close. Scent is a powerful sense to dogs, more powerful than sight for most breeds.

Insaanah
05-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Having dogs in your bed is unhygienic full stop. That's not just a Muslim view, but a view regardless of religion/culture. This is from one vetenary website:

Besides blurring the lines between pet and owner, when you allow your dog to sleep in the bed with you, you are also allowing your dog to bring a host of dirt, bacteria and other substances from outdoors right into bed with you. Most professionals would agree that this practice is very unhygienic.
As for the Islamic view, then that is that keeping a dog as a pet inside the house is not allowed (and this is regardless of its colour).

Here are a couple of relevant hadeeths:

Narrated Ibn `Umar: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Whoever keeps a (pet) dog which is neither a watch dog nor a hunting dog, will get a daily deduction of two Qirat from his good deeds."

(Saheeh al-Bukhari Vol. 7, Book 67, Hadith 389)

It was narrated from Abu Talhah that:
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image (of an animate being)."

(Sunan an-Nasai Vol. 6, Book 2, Hadith 5349)

Have a look at these two links:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/377/
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/161241/dogs

Certainly start now, weaning your dog away from your bed, dqsunday has made one suggestion above. Have a read of this link too for another way of weaning your dog off your bed, and eventually out of the room:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-stop-sleeping-bed.html

Others may be able to add more.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sumaiya54
05-13-2012, 09:50 PM
The Prophet SAW said
"Verily, there is heavenly reward for every act of kindness done to a living animal."
Since your dog is very fearful, then I would suggest not *throwing* him/her out of your bed but slowly encouraging her to sleep on the other side, floor, things like that.
Hope this helps :)
Salaam :)

BadOlPuttyTat
05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Having dogs in your bed is unhygienic full stop. That's not just a Muslim view, but a view regardless of religion/culture. This is from one vetenary website:

As for the Islamic view, then that is that keeping a dog as a pet inside the house is not allowed (and this is regardless of its colour).

Here are a couple of relevant hadeeths:

Narrated Ibn `Umar: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Whoever keeps a (pet) dog which is neither a watch dog nor a hunting dog, will get a daily deduction of two Qirat from his good deeds."

(Saheeh al-Bukhari Vol. 7, Book 67, Hadith 389)

It was narrated from Abu Talhah that:
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image (of an animate being)."

(Sunan an-Nasai Vol. 6, Book 2, Hadith 5349)

Have a look at these two links:

Certainly start now, weaning your dog away from your bed, dqsunday has made one suggestion above. Have a read of this link too for another way of weaning your dog off your bed, and eventually out of the room:

Others may be able to add more.
my dog is clean considering her constant shedding which can exceed 400 hairs a day and she is not an outside dog at all. So hygiene doesnt matter a lot considering my dog, its why her coat is always shiny, because it sheds daily never leaving any dirt or filth nor ticks nor fleas. Although i will ask this......
You said "out of room". So its only good to have my dog out of my room and not house? Kicking her out the house i cannot do but out of my room is easy because the sun is in my sister's room. Wherever there is sunlight is where ever my dog is which is never my room but my room has the most blankets and comforters (which is 7 total, perhaps a little excessive:p). So my dog always sleeps in my room

BadOlPuttyTat
05-13-2012, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dqsunday
If I recall correctly the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wasalam) said angels won't enter a house which contains a dog. I can't remember where this is mentioned...if its in the Qur'an or the hadith (forgive me I am new to Islam and still have a long way to go to remember proper references to validate things. I just remember coming across this at some point in my research/reading). May be from a book about Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wasalam) by Lings, which I read not all that long ago.

As for the issue with your dog being afraid of everything, I suggest reading/watching Cesar Millan (aka The Dog Whisperer). He has worked quite a bit with dogs who are afraid of everything or something specific. I think its very important for us animal lovers to remember..they are always animals, not furry babies. Even little dogs are still dogs first so best to treat them as dogs (not badly etc, just using methods more dog like, as dogs would do naturally with each other).

Crate training is a great method too. Just don't use it as a punishment, but demonstrate over a period of time the crate is a safe spot for your dog. Make him want to spend time in the crate, so it knows its safe in there. Leaving the door open and encouraging your dog to enter using enticing treats and praise when he stays in of his own accord and letting him come out a few second later to start...will build it his confidence. After awhile he will go to his crate as a safe place to be.You can keep it in your room so he feels comforted by you being there. At start you can always put in one of your old shirts (which you have worn for awhile so it has your scent) into the crate, as a way for him to feel you are close. Scent is a powerful sense to dogs, more powerful than sight for most breeds.
Actually i have done this, i have a box next to my bed with is stuffed with more of my old blankets, i have to many i know :hmm:. I just hate sending her to her box though :'(.

Hulk
05-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Like many things in the deen there are some differences of opinion by scholars even though some opinions are held by more than others.

I am not a maliki myself but here is a link to a little more info on the maliki madhhab view on dogs!

Click --->Dogs In Maliki Madhhab Dogs In Maliki Madhhab

Insaanah
05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ShadowsAndDust
my dog is clean considering her constant shedding which can exceed 400 hairs a day and she is not an outside dog at all. So hygiene doesnt matter a lot considering my dog, its why her coat is always shiny, because it sheds daily never leaving any dirt or filth nor ticks nor fleas. Although i will ask this......
While that may be, Islamically, keeping a dog as a pet isn't allowed. I'm sorry if you find that harsh, but that is the Islamic position, which can't be "watered down" in explaining to anyone, as I would then be doing you a disservice.

You said "out of room". So its only good to have my dog out of my room and not house? Kicking her out the house i cannot do but out of my room is easy because the sun is in my sister's room. Wherever there is sunlight is where ever my dog is which is never my room but my room has the most blankets and comforters (which is 7 total, perhaps a little excessive). So my dog always sleeps in my room
I said that as you've not yet reverted, so you can start now increasing the distance that your dog is away from you. In the meantime, learn more and strengthen your convictions of the concept of God, Prophethood, the Day of Judgement, learn about the five pillars etc. When you are sure ready to submit, and take the shahaadah, then all your previous sins are wiped clean, and you start with a clean fresh slate, and a new relationship with God. Obedience to Him should take precedence over all desires of the self.

Bearing in mind the above hadeeth, it'd be a shame if, once reverted, you were losing reward or the angels didn't visit your house.

But as I said above, take it one step at a time.

I pray that Allah makes it easy for you, ameen.

Peace.

dqsunday
05-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Been thinking on this issue for a bit and just had to ask, is it a pure chihuahua? 10 pounds is very heavy for the breed which typically, for males, is around 6 pounds. Might need to cut down on the treats. So easy for the small breeds to become overweight. If its a mix of some sort, harder to tell what a healthy weight it should be.

Back on your initial question/concerns I did come up with a possible solution but I have no way to know if it would be acceptable in Islam. Since Islam seems to only accept dogs who are used for protection or hunting, not strictly companionship (ie pet) could always train your chihuahua to hunt. I know many little dogs, especially the terriers were trained/bred to hunt rodents. Jack Russel Terriers definitely were trained for this and are quite good at it. It wouldn't hurt to research the breed chihuahua's and training/speciality training skills/courses you could do online.

BadOlPuttyTat
05-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Been thinking on this issue for a bit and just had to ask, is it a pure chihuahua? 10 pounds is very heavy for the breed which typically, for males, is around 6 pounds. Might need to cut down on the treats. So easy for the small breeds to become overweight. If its a mix of some sort, harder to tell what a healthy weight it should be.

Back on your initial question/concerns I did come up with a possible solution but I have no way to know if it would be acceptable in Islam. Since Islam seems to only accept dogs who are used for protection or hunting, not strictly companionship (ie pet) could always train your chihuahua to hunt. I know many little dogs, especially the terriers were trained/bred to hunt rodents. Jack Russel Terriers definitely were trained for this and are quite good at it. It wouldn't hurt to research the breed chihuahua's and training/speciality training skills/courses you could do online.
Its a Chiweenie meaning part Chihuahua and part hound. Its actually about 12 pounds i think, very long body and actually is a hunting type but issue is got mad at her for growling at people and lets say i made sure she knew who is boss ;D. But i am also noting that dogs are not permitted according to Haddith and most of it is based off of superstitions from various men not regarding Muhammad(pbuh). Only none prophets speak of dogs as unclean to my understanding and this from Haddiths :confused:. I understand making sure the dog is not in your presence before and during salah and such as it applies to people passing in front of you. But no mention in the Quranowning one nor one directly of Muhammad (so i am told). Wouldnt that be a bit weird and bias?
Attachment 4813

Attachment 4814

Insaanah
05-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Peace.

But i am also noting that dogs are not permitted according to Haddith and most of it is based off of superstitions from various men not regarding Muhammad(pbuh).
You might have missed the two hadeeths I quoted in post number four, it was Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) who said them.

If I misunderstood what you were saying, apologies.

dqsunday
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Ah part hound and part chihuahua would explain the weight. As hounds are hunting dogs, wouldn't hurt to train him to hunt lures etc. Lots of running will wear down his toenails. They are quite long in the picture. Other than that hte dog looks quite healthy and a good weight for its size.

BadOlPuttyTat
05-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Ah part hound and part chihuahua would explain the weight. As hounds are hunting dogs, wouldn't hurt to train him to hunt lures etc. Lots of running will wear down his toenails. They are quite long in the picture. Other than that hte dog looks quite healthy and a good weight for its size.
Its a female i may add. And she is a hunter, years ago she killed 2 doves and we wondered who did it, as it was almost decapitated and we viewed the dog as cowardly. We were outside and wer'e talking then the dog Angel ran out and almost caught 2 rare giant white doves by the tails. Solved the mystery after that. And we always forget to clip the nails, but my family is from the south so we do keep dogs for a purpose and she does function as a guard dog considering she is very nervous around people and is prone to attack anyone that steps on our property lines. I have to give my dog credit for trying to knock my cousin down the stairs on his first visit though :p

BadOlPuttyTat
05-15-2012, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Peace.You might have missed the two hadeeths I quoted in post number four, it was Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) who said them.If I misunderstood what you were saying, apologies.
I didnt notice those were Muhammad's(pbuh). Now i feel like an idiot

GuestFellow
05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Now i feel like an idiot
Salaam,

Don't worry about it.

It looks friendly. It is best not to have too much contact with animals, especially dogs, because you have to pray 5 times a day.

Hulk
05-15-2012, 09:52 PM
MashaAllah beautiful dog.. It looked like a wolf from the thumbnail but upon closer inspection it wasnt.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!