/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Like' function

glo
05-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Having been away for a while I have just come across the 'Like' function on posts. I assumed it had replaced the old reputation system.
But now I realise that the rep system is still in place.

What is the purpose of the 'Like' function?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
marwen
05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Well I guess it's more quick (if you feel lazy to make a rep), and its public, it shows everybody that you like the post.

~ Sabr ~
05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I feel the Like function should be taken away. No point of it.

Hulk
05-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Haha if used in "facebook terms" to me it is when you want to acknowledge to someone that you have read their post but you don't feel a textual response is necessary!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~ Sabr ~
05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
^ That's where reps should come in. :exhausted

Periwinkle18
05-22-2012, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
I feel the Like function should be taken away. No point of it.
noooooo i like the like function

aamirsaab
05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Haha if used in "facebook terms" to me it is when you want to acknowledge to someone that you have read their post but you don't feel a textual response is necessary!
That is it in a nutshell. But this brings problems on forums, because people get lazy and instead of repping or even replying to topics everyone just 'likes' the post instead. Sometimes, the post doesn't even warrant a like, but it still gets one...

~ Sabr ~
05-22-2012, 02:36 PM
^ Like your post has? :unsure:

Scimitar
05-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I use the like function if I like posts in a thread, because they echo what I want to say - and saves me the time of responding... but I go ahead and comment anyway.

Maybe i'm using it wrong ^o)

Scimi

Haya emaan
05-22-2012, 02:44 PM
like button may be used to show..

* i like your post but not much that i spend my reps on you :ermm:
* you like my post, so i like your post
* every one should know i like your post
* look! there must be some thing in this post, so many likes it..!!
* " i have gone through your post.."

now sorry, there isn't any option to DISLIKE my post..!! :skeleton:

P.S i haven't got the point of like button on the forum yet..

Alpha Dude
05-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Lol. I think Haya emaan's post sums it up.

aamirsaab
05-22-2012, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haafizah
^ Like your post has? :unsure:
What's more ironic, the fact that you liked a post complaining about likes instead of receiving reps or the fact that someone else gave it reps?

Answers on a post-card to your usual address!

Periwinkle18
05-22-2012, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
I use the like function if I like posts in a thread
same hea

Endymion
05-22-2012, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan
* you like my post, so i like your post
I need to re-check the likes you have given me :raging:

dqsunday
05-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Ego boost.

Endymion
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Ah you know nothing about Endy,poor soul :/:

Qurratul Ayn
05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Peace

I like to "like" posts and I like to give people reps too.

I give likes to posts that make me smile or laugh or think or I learn from it, and I give reps if I like something of a person's post or signature or writing, and I ask them about it on there.

I think that sums up what I think the purpose of the "Like" button is also the reps too.

Hope that's relevant, Sister glo :D

Peace

Haya emaan
05-22-2012, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion

I need to re-check the likes you have given me :raging:
wait a bit... that was just what i have observed and assumed..!!:/:

i haven't told you yet why I use the like button..:nervous:

Endymion
05-22-2012, 07:46 PM
^o) ................ :mmokay:

Marina-Aisha
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I like it most time I can't b bothered to rep people to like button just easier.. If someone makes me smile or a agree with there post I pressed it. If there really special I give them rep. So I like them both :)

dysphoricrocker
05-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Salaam.

I'm rather new so how exactly do i 'rep' someone else? I can't see any option for that. I can see the 'like' though.

Aprender
05-23-2012, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
Salaam.

I'm rather new so how exactly do i 'rep' someone else? I can't see any option for that. I can see the 'like' though.
Press that sheriffs badge looking star next to the triangle with the ! in it to rep someone else's post. It's on the left under each username in the gray....

Hulk
05-23-2012, 04:56 AM
I have never understood what all this rep thing is about, I think in other forums it is called karma. I suspect the bigger your rep is the bigger your avatar will be I mean just look at sis aprender :statisfie

glo
05-23-2012, 05:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dysphoricrocker
Salaam.

If you click on the 'Settings' tab at the top of the screen, you can see who has made what comment about which if your posts ...

~ Sabr ~
05-23-2012, 05:33 AM
^ Limited members can't see who gave them the rep.

dysphoricrocker
05-23-2012, 05:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
If you click on the 'Settings' tab at the top of the screen, you can see who has made what comment about which if your posts
Thank you for the info (:

Endymion
05-23-2012, 04:02 PM
To me,this function helps me landing upon a decision whether to read that really long post or not :p

Im really bad at reading long stories :hmm: so i just look how many likes the post collected.If there are 5 or more,i go for it :D

Samiun
05-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Funny thing is you gt the same feeling when you're 'liked' on fb

glo
05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
Funny thing is you gt the same feeling when you're 'liked' on fb
True. It seems very facebook-ish ...

~ Sabr ~
05-24-2012, 07:05 AM
^ Exactly, which is why I feel the reps should be increased (you should be allowed to rep more people, e.g. 20 per day) and the likes should be removed.

Marina-Aisha
05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
wot annoys me about rep is u cant rep the same person which is really annoying

Periwinkle18
05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marina-hadeya
wot annoys me about rep is u cant rep the same person which is really annoying
i know u hav to spread reps first tht annoys me :S

Marina-Aisha
05-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes !! That's wot I'm talkin about!! Sooooo annoying!

Muhammad
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
:sl:

I have noticed a problem with the 'like' feature, which is sometimes it can be suggestive of people taking sides. Or if someone makes a negative remark and another person 'likes' it, then it can be hurtful for the receiving person as if people are ganging up or others agree with such remarks. We should be careful to avoid hurting anyone's feelings when we 'like' a post, and give them for the right reasons. Consider whether a reputation might be a better alternative in some situations.

Endymion
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
70% agree.30% disagree

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!