/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How can I verifiy a quote...

zakahmed
05-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Salaam Brothers and Sisters,

I was just wondering how I can verify this quote:

O Lord, grant me your love, grant me that I love those who love you; grant me, that I might do the deeds that win your love. Make your love dearer to me than the love of myself, my family and wealth.

It's supposed to be in Tirmidhi but I can't find the reference to see if it is authentic?

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
05-25-2012, 07:59 PM
:sl:

Abud-Darda' (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
The Messenger of Allah :saws: said, "One of Prophet Dawud's supplications was: 'Allahumma inni as'aluka hubbaka, wa hubba man yuhibbuka, wal-'amalalladhi yuballighuni hubbaka. Allahumm-aj'al hubbaka ahabba ilayya min nafsi, wa ahli, wa minal-ma'il-baridi (O Allah! I ask You for Your Love, the love of those who love You, and deeds which will cause me to attain Your Love. O Allah! Make Your Love dearer to me than myself, my family and the cold water)."'

[At- Tirmidhi, Sunnah.com reference : Book 17, Hadith 26' Arabic/English book reference : Book 17, Hadith 1490].

You can find it in Riyaad us Saaliheen also.

Arabic text of hadeeth:

وعن أبي الدرداء، رضي الله عنه، قال‏:‏ رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم‏:‏ ‏"‏كان من دعاء داود عليه السلام‏:‏ ‏"‏اللهم إني أسألك حبك، وحب من يحبك، والعمل الذي يبلغني حبك، اللهم اجعل حبك أحب إليّ من نفسي، وأهلي، ومن الماء البارد‏"‏‏.‏ رواه الترمذي وقال حديث حسن‏.‏

Taken from: http://www.sunnah.com/riyadussaliheen/17#26

~ Sabr ~
05-25-2012, 08:07 PM
That quote is going in a banner InshaAllaah!

zakahmed
05-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Insaanah , Jazak Allah for checking that for me it really helps! Could I ask how you tracked it down so I can try to do this myself. I tried serching for it on an online hadith but nothing came up?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
05-26-2012, 10:17 AM
:sl:

I was already familar with a slightly different version of this du'a which translates like this:

Oh Allah, I ask you for Your love, and the love of those who love You, and the love of every action that will bring me closer to Your love.

I like this hadeeth site: www.sunnah.com, because it gives you the Arabic text as well, which I feel is very important, as well as it's chain of narration in most cases, reference in the Arabic book, and the English translation book, where possible. However, as yet, it is only for a limited range of hadeeth collections, so if it was in a collection not mentioned there, it wouldn't come up in the search results.

In the search bar on the homepage, I entered "your love" and it's the second result that comes up. If you know any Arabic words of the hadeeth, you can search in Arabic too.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!