/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Man admits pulling niqab veil from Muslim woman

Ar-RaYYan
06-14-2012, 03:51 PM

A 26-year-old man has admitted pulling a niqab veil off a Muslim woman at a shopping centre in the West Midlands.

Ian Brazier, of Shirley, Solihull, admitted racially aggravated assault after he tugged at Farhana Chughtai's hair in Touchwood, Solihull, in March.

Brazier had been smoking cannabis and was "upset" at not being able to watch two films at a nearby cinema complex.

Ms Chughtai felt "humiliated and upset" when her veil fell to the floor, Solihull Magistrates' Court heard.

Police released CCTV footage of Brazier, of Berkeley Road, following the attack, which took place at about 14:30 GMT on 3 March.

The incident was treated as a race-hate crime.

Prosecutor John McCann, said 26-year-old Ms Chughtai, who does not know Brazier, had been with her family in the shopping centre at the time of the incident.

Confessed to police

Mr McCann said that she had felt a tug at her hair and her niqab [a veil that covers the face] fell on to the floor, leaving her feeling "humiliated and very upset".

Ms Chughtai turned around and saw Mr Brazier running off.

Habib Ahmed, for the defendant, told the court that after after his arrest and not commenting in a police interview, Brazier had later walked into a police station to admit what he had done as he "couldn't live with himself".

He said he had tried to see two films at the centre's cinema complex, but had become upset at one not being shown and the second being on at a different time.

Mr Ahmed said that Brazier had smoked "two cannabis spliffs" for the first time and had not appreciated the effect they would have.

Brazier had coped with learning difficulties from an early age, which might have affected his feelings at being unable to watch the films, the court was told.

He has been released on bail to be sentenced on 4 July at the same court.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-18426178

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
06-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Shouldn't cannabis mellow this dude down? That's his defense? ;D;D;D

~ Sabr ~
06-14-2012, 07:33 PM
SubhanAllaah. This is the effect of drugs. No wonder they are prohibited in Islam !

Snowflake
06-14-2012, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by لميس
Shouldn't cannabis mellow this dude down? That's his defense? ;D;D;D
That's what I was thinking.

Habib Ahmed, for the defendant, told the court that after after his arrest and not commenting in a police interview, Brazier had later walked into a police station to admit what he had done as he "couldn't live with himself".
Couldn't live with himself if he got a harsher sentence for not cooperating more like :/:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
06-14-2012, 07:50 PM
i kinda feel sorry for him and hope Allah guides him.

I hope the niqabis family takes this opportunity to speak to him. he does sound sincere no lie. maybe this is Allahs plan, mayb...

it isthe muslims job to be patient during these types of things anyway right :)

Muezzin
06-14-2012, 08:32 PM
The defence lawyer is Muslim. Awkward.

جوري
06-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I know is-but the defendant Muslim? This is awkward....

BadOlPuttyTat
06-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Nobody admits to being high, nobody I am just sorry to say this.
This man sounds like a person who committed a hate crime then claimed he was on drugs because he viewed it as lesser of two evils.
At my sisters college there are plenty of potheads and they are very smart and functional. And I myself have known a very intelligent pothead who lit up in front of me once. Weed is a relaxant and makes you as calm as a sleeping baby. No pothead has enough sense to even run when they are high because they dont feel a sense of guilt or negativity because they feel so happy and delusional.
This man is most likely just some racist dude who saw a Muslimah and thought "She is oppressed and enslaved" then yanked her niqab off thinking "I have freed her" then noticed that her first expression was shame and humiliation instead of joy and saying "you have freed me".
Perhaps this man was high but I doubt it was weed. I doubt weed and frustration over 2 films made him make a racist crime like this. When I am mad at the cinema then i dish it out on the cinema not the nearest Muslim. ;D
So many holes in this story I swear I could use it as a strainer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!