/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Warrior Training

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Growing up I'd get into quite a few scraps defending my younger sis/bro, or getting picked on myself. Maybe that's why I had a secret wish that my parents had sent me to china to be trained by shaolin monks haha! :embarrassAnyway that wish is history now, but I still got excited when I found this video of real Shaolin monks training. I never thought they'd allow their training to be filmed. What a treat! Maybe I could still pick up a few tips then. :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Scimitar
07-09-2012, 01:20 PM
You might wanna check out the documentary series named "mind, body and kick ass moves" (made by the BBC and presented by martial artist, Chris Crudelli)

Here is an excerpt from one part:

Yup, that old man is Ip Chun, Ip Man's son - Ip Chun trained with Brice Lee.

The series is excellent, Chris travels around the world in order to spearate the myths from the reality of martial arts. I give it 10/10

You can watch other excerpts here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kickasstv?feature=watch

Scimi

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
^Lol thanks! I will watch it in my break time.

Scimitar
07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
If you wanna lear a marital art, learn Wing Chun. It suits women better than it does men, and is one of very few Chinese martial arts that is actually based on the human form and not the 5 animal styles. It's very effective too, I practiced Wing Chun for over 10 yrs.

Scimi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
07-09-2012, 01:47 PM
At 2003, KH (shaykh) Abdullah Gymnastiar invited a group of Shaolin to train Kung Fu to him and his students. They stayed in madrasa Daarut Tauhiid, Bandung, around a month.

This is comment from KH Abdullah Gymnastiar "Kung Fu is not shirk, and very good for health".

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
If you wanna lear a marital art, learn Wing Chun. It suits women better than it does men, and is one of very few Chinese martial arts that is actually based on the human form and not the 5 animal styles. It's very effective too, I practiced Wing Chun for over 10 yrs.

Scimi
Wing chun! Sounds like chicken wings yum. I have been wondering if taking up some form of martial art might help me beat fibromyalgia. At present anything can leave me in pain. So I was wondering if there's such a thing as breaking the pain barrier through martial arts training? And do you know of anyone who had an illness they beat through training?

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
At 2003, KH (shaykh) Abdullah Gymnastiar invited a group of Shaolin to train Kung Fu to him and his students. They stayed in madrasa Daarut Tauhiid, Bandung, around a month.

This is comment from KH Abdullah Gymnastiar "Kung Fu is not shirk, and very good for health".
masha Allah. I thought it was only tai chi that has elements of shirk in it. I've never heard of kung fu being shirk? What is the basis for anyone claiming that?

Scimitar
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
SOme esoteric practices of Kung Fu do indeed have elements of shirk in them. Take the Dip Da clinics in Shanghai. Dip Da literally means "Broken Bone". The Doctors use incantations and write words on paper then stick it to parts of the body. The writing on the paper involes a jinn to come and take the pain away... this is shirk.

There are also elements of Shirk in Tai Chi too dependant, on who is teaching you), but pure Tai Chi has no shirk in it. In fact, after studying tai chi, I conclude that the hard and soft chi are reflective of when Allah tells us that HE created everything in pairs, so we may know that HE is ONE. If one goes by this principle alone, one can stay clear of committing shirk. Tai Chi is a way to achieve a balance in the body thru exercise and relaxation together. Hard and soft starts here, understanding that tai chi is hard and soft. The physical motions are hard, and soft - and complimentary so the body can achieve a balance.

I found that salaah is better than tai chi, though.

Scimi

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 03:00 PM
SOme esoteric practices of Kung Fu do indeed have elements of shirk in them. Take the Dip Da clinics in Shanghai. Dip Da literally means "Broken Bone". The Doctors use incantations and write words on paper then stick it to parts of the body. The writing on the paper involes a jinn to come and take the pain away... this is shirk.

There are also elements of Shirk in Tai Chi too dependant, on who is teaching you), but pure Tai Chi has no shirk in it. In fact, after studying tai chi, I conclude that the hard and soft chi are reflective of when Allah tells us that HE created everything in pairs, so we may know that HE is ONE. If one goes by this principle alone, one can stay clear of committing shirk. Tai Chi is a way to achieve a balance in the body thru exercise and relaxation together. Hard and soft starts here, understanding that tai chi is hard and soft. The physical motions are hard, and soft - and complimentary so the body can achieve a balance.

I found that salaah is better than tai chi, though.

Scimi
Thanks for the clarification bro. I pray salah sitting down. When I do try to stand and pray, I get tired and experience severe pain in my arms when raising myself from sujood. Now that you mentioned it, I am wondering that if salah is difficult for me then how will I ever be able to do martial arts. Only if I can pray manage salah standing up then I can think about other things.

Pure Purple
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Scimi
I don't think these activities beneficial to us.
Martial art was introduced in my school's co-curricular activities.
trainer told us to run 3 rounds in school's compound in the first session.We were exhausted.
We all complained about this to our class teacher and demanded it to remove this activity.

ardianto
07-09-2012, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
masha Allah. I thought it was only tai chi that has elements of shirk in it. I've never heard of kung fu being shirk? What is the basis for anyone claiming that?
If Kung Fu is shirk, KH Abdullah Gymnastiar would not invite Shaolin warrior to train him. As martial art, Kung Fu is not shirk. And Shaolin Kung Fu is not part of Buddhism, I know it. Although I never practice Shaolin Kung Fu, I often read their books.

Actually, mostly of Indonesian people never regard Kung Fu related to shirk. There are many Muslims in Indonesia who become Wushu athletes. My brother learned Kung Fu too when he was kid, although only for several months.

Maybe people who assume Kung Fu (Whusu) is shirk do not know if this martial art is not part of other religions.

ardianto
07-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Take the Dip Da clinics in Shanghai. Dip Da literally means "Broken Bone". The Doctors use incantations and write words on paper then stick it to parts of the body. The writing on the paper involes a jinn to come and take the pain away... this is shirk.
Paper with words? it's called "Hu". It's not part of Kung Fu (Whusu). Hu is from Taoism.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
last winter there was some dude that use to wake up around 6am (when it was EXTREMELY CHILLY) and use to go do shaolin training topless outside lol. but i gess his training had more of a taoism affect.

GuestFellow
07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Ah that looks very hard. Stick with my ornament collection.

Scimitar
07-09-2012, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple
trainer told us to run 3 rounds in school's compound in the first session.We were exhausted.
We all complained about this to our class teacher and demanded it to remove this activity.
I agree, one must learn to be fit first... the teacher probably discovered that MA was too difficult for lazy kids who couldn't even run compound runs. In MA we used to circuit train for a full 2 hours before our lesson officially started. And it was all very VERY repetitive, and this is necessary in order to build something called "muscle memory" ... so when the time comes to actually fight for real, you don't have to think, it just happens ;)

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Paper with words? it's called "Hu". It's not part of Kung Fu (Whusu). Hu is from Taoism.
A master of the Preying Mantis style in Shanghai, owns a dip da clinic and yes he does hu (spirit/jinn) healing - this is very common for martial artists from around the world to go to dip da clinics in order to heal parts of their bodies that conventional doctors say will take surgery to fix...

... like I said in an above post, some elements of martial arts contain shirk. This is one of them.

format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
I pray salah sitting down. When I do try to stand and pray, I get tired and experience severe pain in my arms when raising myself from sujood.
In that case, I do not recommend martial arts. I trained in Muai Thai, Wing Chun, and Hop Gar. In each discipline we were all taught that if one cannot stand, one cannot fight.

We can all stand - so we think this won't be a problem. But in MA, standing means something different. It means being able to keep standing and not get knocked down to the floor. It means, learning stances and doing exercises which train leg muslces. It's tedious work. And stretching for 45 minutes is just the start of most lessons. :D

What I do recommend sis, is to go swimming in a sisters group. All your muscles and your breathing will start to slowly be in tune - in harmony, and gradually you will build strength that is there to stay.

If you cannot swim, I suggest learning to swim, because it is one of the acts not from worship, which Allah takes pleasure in seeing humans do :)

Scimi

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple
I think anyone would find doing 3 rounds they're not used to doing difficult. I think your school was great to have introduced MA though. Shame the teacher put you off.

In that case, I do not recommend martial arts. I trained in Muai Thai, Wing Chun, and Hop Gar. In each discipline we were all taught that if one cannot stand, one cannot fight.

We can all stand - so we think this won't be a problem. But in MA, standing means something different. It means being able to keep standing and not get knocked down to the floor. It means, learning stances and doing exercises which train leg muslces. It's tedious work. And stretching for 45 minutes is just the start of most lessons. :D

What I do recommend sis, is to go swimming in a sisters group. All your muscles and your breathing will start to slowly be in tune - in harmony, and gradually you will build strength that is there to stay.

If you cannot swim, I suggest learning to swim, because it is one of the acts not from worship, which Allah takes pleasure in seeing humans do :)

Scimi
I can walk at a gentle pace, but can get random pains and always get pains afterwards. Standing to cook/wash dishes causes severe back/spinal pain as there's arm movements going on at the same time which affect the back muscles. Swimming is good but what about the chlorine? Surely that's like adding to my health problems rather than fixing them. Hope I'm not being paranoid.

Abdul-Raouf
07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Some interesting info on Shaolin Martial art ..origin...

recently i came to know in news about shaolin martial arts.... cos of a movie released in my native state - Tamil Nadu.

Where they had conveyed the message that shaolin martial art was taught to the Chinese by a Tamil King

Have you heard about?

Bodhidharma was a Buddhist monk who lived during the 5th/6th century CE. He is traditionally credited as the transmitter of Ch'an (Sanskrit: Dhyāna, Japanese: Zen) to China, and regarded as the first Chinese patriarch. According to Chinese legend, he also began the physical training of the Shaolin monks that led to the creation of Shaolinquan. Some traditions specifically describe Bodhidharma to be the third son of a Tamil Pallava king from Kanchipuram.

know about Tamil ?

Tamil is one of the longest surviving classical languages in the world from the available evidences. It is also the only Indian language other than Sanskrit to be considered to be ancient and authentically original in its form and rich literature [6][7] It has been described as "the only language of contemporary India which is recognizably continuous with a classical past"[8] and having "one of the richest literatures in the world".[9] Tamil literature has existed for over 2000 years.[10] The earliest epigraphic records found on rock edicts and hero stones date from around the 3rd century BCE.[11] The earliest period of Tamil literature, Sangam literature, is dated from the 300 BCE – 300 CE.[12][13] Tamil language inscriptions written c. 1st century BCE and 2nd century CE have been discovered in Egypt, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

Hulk
07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Islam doesn't destroy cultures but rather purify it :) for example in the case of "shaolin training". We take what is halal and remove what is not, tada! A purified form. :statisfie

Anyway sis snowflake if you want to try to stay healthy I would recommend getting a stationary bike. Either upright or recumbent(more comfortable seat especially for your back). Having dealt with a knee injury I know how it feels to be limited in activity. I was inactive for a long time thinking that I will continue working out when the injury "got better". Well, the injury did get better but only so far as it was a pretty serious injury. It took a long time for me to accept that if I want to get back on the horse I have no choice but to change my workout routines.. Alhamdulillah things are much better now.

On what bro raouf said.. the chinese and indians have a close history together. Sometimes when I see a chinese person being "racist" towards indians I wonder if they know buddhism originated in india.

Snowflake
07-09-2012, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hulk
Islam doesn't destroy cultures but rather purify it :) for example in the case of "shaolin training". We take what is halal and remove what is not, tada! A purified form. :statisfie

^ Agree!

Anyway sis snowflake if you want to try to stay healthy I would recommend getting a stationary bike. Either upright or recumbent(more comfortable seat especially for your back). Having dealt with a knee injury I know how it feels to be limited in activity. I was inactive for a long time thinking that I will continue working out when the injury "got better". Well, the injury did get better but only so far as it was a pretty serious injury. It took a long time for me to accept that if I want to get back on the horse I have no choice but to change my workout routines.. Alhamdulillah things are much better now.
Al hamdulillah you've recovered bro. But you should massage your knee with olive oil to give it that bit of extra strength insha Allah. And about the bike, this is going to sound daft but I would rather buy a bike and go cycling as there's nothing worse than sitting on a stationary bike staring at the walls lol.

I wanted to know the Islamic ruling on this and found it al hamdulillah. I'm posting it so that other sisters reading might benefit from it insha Allah.

Fatwa No: 152058

Dr. Ahmad al-Hajji al-Kurdi [an expert in al-Mawsoo‘ah al-Fiqhiyyah and a member of the Ifta Committee in Kuwait] was asked:
What is the ruling on women riding bicycles in European countries in order to get to school or work or to the supermarket? He replied: There is no reason why a woman should not ride a motorbike or a bicycle if she is where men cannot see her, so long as she adheres to complete shar‘i hijab that covers her body and she is careful to avoid showing any part of her ‘awrah when getting on and off.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/152058

Masha Allah :statisfie

ardianto
07-10-2012, 02:20 AM
A master of the Preying Mantis style in Shanghai, owns a dip da clinic and yes he does hu (spirit/jinn) healing - this is very common for martial artists from around the world to go to dip da clinics in order to heal parts of their bodies that conventional doctors say will take surgery to fix...

... like I said in an above post, some elements of martial arts contain shirk. This is one of them.
In Indonesia, many Muslim are prefer to go to "Mr Hajj" to heal their broken bones, and get Islamic spiritual healing. The Silat martial artist too, although there is no rule that if Muslims experience broken bones, they should go to "Mr Hajj", not to doctor.

Ever heard about Wu Tang (Bu Tong)?. This is a genre of wushu (that called Kung Fu by westerner) that established by Tao priest, Thio Sam Hong. This is popular enough in the world. From what I've noticed, some Wu Tang wushu "suhu" (master) also become spiritual advisor, like change unluckiness into luckiness. They use Hu, and often provide foods for the "unseen thing". But as martial art, the Wu Tang wushu can be separated from Taoism belief. I don't know from which genre the suhu who run dip da clinic, but must be from Tao based wushu.

Typical of wushu is, use breathe control to raise the inner energy. This is part of wushu that has been adopted into Pencak Silat, the Malay martial art. Raising the inner energy is a part which martial artist can fall into shirk because it can make the martial artists more 'sensitive'. And also there are martial artists who use specific rites to raise their inner energy, like "Ilmu Hikmah' in Pencak Silat. But as long as the martial artists can control themselves, Insha Allah safe. Wushu which people can learn in martial arts studios is safe. It's just sport and self defense technique.

Pure Purple
07-13-2012, 04:47 AM
I agree, one must learn to be fit first... the teacher probably discovered that MA was too difficult for lazy kids who couldn't even run compound runs. In MA we used to circuit train for a full 2 hours before our lesson officially started. And it was all very VERY repetitive, and this is necessary in order to build something called "muscle memory" ... so when the time comes to actually fight for real, you don't have to think, it just happens ;)
After this long run,we had to go to the classroom which was on fifth floor without using lift..:raging:
I didn't understood the purpose,why to learn martial art?they said it is for our self defense.In the next session trainer told us about weak points,of offender,where to attack.
These are all useless,becoz if someone attacks you who is physically stronger than you,will you be able to think where I should attack him/her.

White Rose
07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Haha, its kind of funny because I am also interested in martial arts, especially the one that deals with swords. Problem is, not many centers here teach that and even if they do, its alway a coed class which puts me off. If there was an all girl class, I would take it right away. :hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!