/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to Survive a 12+ Hour Flight

Misz_Muslimah
07-14-2012, 08:06 PM
(Taken from: http://www.productivemuslim.com)

Flying time, especially if it’s more than a few hours, can be extremely boring since you’re disconnected from the world and you can’t really go anywhere. However, if you think about it, this ’idle’ time is actually what you’ve ALWAYS wished you had whenever you get busy in your real life. How many times have we caught ourselves saying, “If only I had a bit of free time, I’d do X”?Shaytaan is very good at trying to make us waste the treasure of free time on a flight; but with some preparation and pre-planning, we can convert it to the most productive time ever!

Below are 10 ProductiveMuslim tips to make the most of your flights:

1. Try to have your wudhu before boarding the flight. This will help you avoid performing gymnastics in the tight airplane toilets!

2. Upon boarding the flight, take out from your bag the following:
  • Quran,
  • Tasbeeh,
  • Reading Book/Kindle,
  • Pen & Pocket Notebook/Journal,
  • Laptop/iPad
Everything else should be kept in the overhead compartment.
3. Before take-off read the dua for traveling + write down your intentions for this journey in your pocket journal, as well as a rough plan of what you want to do when you arrive (this could be for your entire journey if you’re on vacation, or if you’re returning home, these could be things you need to get done in the 1st three days from arrival).

4. When the plane has lifted and the seat belt signs are turned off, if there’s a row of empty seats nearby, move to them: OR if it’s a packed flight, see if there are any empty seats near the emergency exits which offer more legroom. (Of course, you need to be courteous and allow the elderly or those with children to have priority on such seats).

5. Start your productive flight with a bit of Spiritual Productivity and the longest, most enjoyable set of dhikr you could ask for. Here’s an example:
SubhanaAllah x 100
Alhamdulillah x 100
Allahu Akbar x 100
la hawla wa la quota illa billa x 100
La ilaha illa Allah x 100
la ilaha illa Allah wahdahu la sharika lah, lahulmulk wa lahulhamd wa huwa ala kulli shay’qadeer x 100
SubhanaAllah wa bihamdih SubhanaAllah Al-Atheem x 100
Astaghfurullah wa atoub ilayh x 100
Astaghfurullah lilmo’mineen wal mo’minaat x 100
Allahumma Salli wa Sallim Ala Sayyidina Muhammad

The above should take you roughly 1 hour.

6. Read Surat Al-Baqarah + Aal-Imran. This should take you 3 hours. You don’t have to do this in one sitting – you can spread them over 3 sittings, 1 hour each.
7. Perform loads of Duas, for at least 30 minutes. Remember the significance of making dua while travelling!
8. If you’ve got a nice spot to sleep, aim for 3 sleep cycles (90 minutes/sleep cycle) = 4hrs + 30minutes.

9. Of course, do not forget Salah (even Witr if you want to). On some flights, you can ask to pray in a spot in the back close to the kitchen area, which has enough room to stand and pray normally – but do ask permission from flight attendants first.

10. If you do the above, you’ll probably knock out 8-10 hours. So you’re now left with a few hours which you can spend reading/writing/eating and watching the sunset/sunrise!

BONUS TIP:
Download all your e-mails to your desktop e-mail software before flying out, and spend 1 hour composing replies ready to send them out once you’re back on the ground.
With the above, your long-haul flights will not feel so boring and you’ll actually feel very productive once you land, inshaAllah!

http://www.productivemuslim.com/prod...2-hour-flight/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mustafa2012
08-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Jazaak Allaah khayr. This is a very beneficial thread.

The last time I flew I spent so much time packing that I was unable to get enough sleep the night before so I spent almost half the flight time catching up on sleep.

However I was able to say some words of thanks to Allaah for the blessing of being able to travel such a huge distance with such great ease. And asked Him to help me show gratitude for it.

And the view from up above at night was amazing.

Al Hamdu lillaah.

jameelash
09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
salam,jazakullah khair.useful tips

Cabdullahi
09-28-2012, 02:21 PM
how to Survive a 12+ Hour Flight?

When the food arrives taste it and point your finger towards the food and say 'this is the bomb!' loudly, a lot of things will happen after you say that and it would appear that time is flying.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
09-28-2012, 02:41 PM
^^ lol you tried that ya Abd-Allah?
if there weren't such good advise here already I'd share tips on how I survive it but people are taking the highroad so why would I advise of the poor one..

Cabdullahi
09-29-2012, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by منوة الخيال
^^ lol you tried that ya Abd-Allah?
if there weren't such good advise here already I'd share tips on how I survive it but people are taking the highroad so why would I advise of the poor one..
I have to watch what i say even if it's in soliloquy, after being shamed up in front of all passengers by two female security officials, but Alhamdulilah i kept my cool, even when one of them said i should apply for jobs abroad instead of in England.

Give me a job abroad, and i will go tonight without a second thought.

_Y168
09-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Great tips Ukhtee. :) Baarak Allaahu Feeki. Will deffo try this next time I'm flying. :ia:

Hulk
09-29-2012, 02:44 PM
I've never been on a 12 hour flight before, not even 6, 5, 4.. honestly I would probably sleep..

~Zaria~
09-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

JazakAllah khayrun for this beneficial thread.

I thought I would share a few of my tips for long flights:

- Listen to downloaded talks, quraan with translation (dont forget to carry your ear-plugs : ) )

- In-flight videos are only good for documentaries.....some of the best and most memorable documentaries that I have ever watched, has been during a flight.

- Chat to your neighbour (not if its the opposite gender : ) ) .....you may be fortunate enough to be seated next to someone from the country that you are en-route to, with useful tourist tips (or vice versa).....or just learning about anothers culture and thoughts.
(Ps. A talkative neighbour may be a problem if you are trying to fall asleep, while he/she is still in the middle of their conversation....).

- Sleep
--> Dont leave home without sleeping pills (esp. if you are like me and struggle to sleep on long flights).
(I usually dont recommend sleeping pills, but this is an exception to the rule! : ) )

- When booking your seats, ensure that you are not seated next to the toilets or a family with kids <-- these are proven sleep breakers :/
If its a very long flight, it may also be better not to be seated on the aisle (as you are bound to be frequently disturbed by those who need to use the bathroom).

Hope these are of use, insha Allah.

:wa:

CosmicPathos
09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
wow .... is it just me that I dont get bothered by any of the pointers to avoid mentioned above as long as I reach my destination safely? :s

yea but i defo wont like the smell coming from the toilets.

Cabdullahi
09-29-2012, 09:38 PM
One more thing i forgot to add

Never dump toxic waste in the lavatory, especially when there's a long ass queue outside.

If you do take a nasty dump and people are waiting outside leave the lavatory and the plane all together through the suction hole place.

~Zaria~
09-29-2012, 09:42 PM
^^ For those who have been on very long flights (my longest was ~14hrs), will know that it makes a lot of difference to plan your flight/ time.

Very often one will notice passengers wasting hours upon hours on in-flight movies, because they dont know what else to do.

As muslims, we should plan and try to make good use of time - in zikr and that which would be beneficial to us.

:wa:

CosmicPathos
09-29-2012, 09:43 PM
you are right. But ive been on many >14 hr flights. Canada to Saudi and to Pakistan. Sometimes in olden days about 20 hours?

i usually spend 6-8 hours sleeping. rest of the time, some good music *cough cough*. or some dua. or some book.

~Zaria~
09-29-2012, 09:51 PM
^ The truly fortunate ones are those who can fall asleep despite the awkward posture and no leg room (Im usually the one watching everyone else sleep ; ( ).

Not forgetting, those who travel first class.....

CosmicPathos
09-29-2012, 09:56 PM
allhamdulillah Allah has blessed me and have no sleep problems.

and yea forgot to mention, dont empty your bladder during travels. public washrooms are .... hmmm

a prophylactic loperamide pill or 2 before leaving for the airport also helps. :statisfie

Samiun
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
how to Survive a 12+ Hour Flight?

When the food arrives taste it and point your finger towards the food and say 'this is the bomb!' loudly, a lot of things will happen after you say that and it would appear that time is flying.
:sl: looks like you uttered some words that's a little.. explosive!

Cabdullahi
09-30-2012, 11:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiun
:sl: looks like you uttered some words that's a little.. explosive!
what could i have said? when the food tasted so explosive

PurpleCup
09-30-2012, 10:07 PM
What I would like to avoid is the swollen ankles on such a flight! :hiding:

Veritas
10-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I am Christian so do drink alcohol, though moderately.

On a long flight, I would have a couple of glasses of red wine or a couple of brandies .... then take some anti-hystamine tablets .... and wake up for breakfast

Though looking at those powdered eggs often makes me wonder why I actually woke for breakfast ;D

Mustafa2012
10-18-2012, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Veritas
I am Christian so do drink alcohol, though moderately.

On a long flight, I would have a couple of glasses of red wine or a couple of brandies .... then take some anti-hystamine tablets .... and wake up for breakfast

Though looking at those powdered eggs often makes me wonder why I actually woke for breakfast ;D
That depends of which airline you travel with.

Veritas
10-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I know ... I went with the lowest common denominator for a bit of humour. :p

Personally though I can never face airline eggs ... coffee fruit and a pastry is about all I can muster at 30,000 feet

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!