/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Surviving My First Official Ramadan in a Christian Dominated Household?

demmaster
07-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Assalamualaikum!

I really need some advice on how to survive my first official Ramadan, as my family is Christian and do not celebrate Ramadan. In fact, they are very ignorant about the holy month. I converted last year to Islam Alhamdulilah and I'm never turning back. The Qur'an has truly changed my life and I want to be apart of the fasting for Ramadan, as it's required of all healthy-bodied Muslims. I just have a difficult obstacle because my family is Christian. I want to be able to break my fast each night. There is a mosque across the street from me. Should I go to the mosque and ask for advice? I haven't been to the mosque yet, but I really want to start attending. Any advice you can give me will be very much appreciated!

Peace and Blessings to you all!

-Dwayne

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
07-19-2012, 04:08 PM
sure akhi, go to the mosque.. make friends, let them teach you about tarwaeeh and break bread with them.. and when you come home you can browse the forum here, in shaa Allah, everyone will post a little something about Ramadan in their country or those who have gone to make umrah can keep us updated..

glo
07-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Ramadan is a good opportunity to start visiting the mosque. Go for it!

Do you live with your family/parents? And do they know that you have converted? If not, you might need to think how you can fast during the day without raising questions ...

KnockKnock
07-19-2012, 05:34 PM
AssalamAleikum Dwayne

Yeah! Go to the Mosque. I guarantee you will feel really good being there and you can ask the Imam there about your situation. Maybe you can take a family member and show them what Islam is all about if they are willing.

Waleikum AsSalam Warahmatullah wabarakatuhu :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hulk
07-19-2012, 05:45 PM
I suggest going to the mosque once in a while to do your prayers with the other muslims. I think it will make you more "comfortable" with going to a mosque. As long as you are muslim don't see yourself as an "outsider" going to the mosque, your intention to go there is to pray to God. You will see that there are others like that as well!

You can also go on Fridays to join for Friday prayers. The first step is always the hardest but once it's behind you you'll realise that it wasn't that hard.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
assalamu alaikum

inshAllah Allah will help you through this difficulty dear bro.

If you feel that being at home will cause you any discomfort then the mosques are always open to the muslims.

I suggest also you buy some Dates for when you need to break it at home. As for Sehri (eating just before fajr) then im sure your family will be asleep so it shouldnt cause too much complication.

and maybe your family wont even notice that your actually fasting :p

demmaster
07-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Waalaikumsalam,

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words and very good advice.

My family indeed knows that I am Muslim and they are very supportive of me. I love them dearly for that. I just wish they could see Islam like I do. :D I remember being scared to tell my mother last year that I've decided on Islam. She didn't understand it, but was supportive. I've also had members of my "family" stop talking to me after my conversion. But I pray the mosque will be open. I think there were renovations being done a while back to the mosque and I wanted to go there to pray Asr, but the gates were locked and no one was there. It's been open since, but I was feeling sick for a while. I feel better now and I think it's a good time for me to start attending the mosque and learning how to pray properly. I'm still used to the Christian ways of praying, though I don't pray to anyone but God. :)

I am actually looking forward to my first official Ramadan. I'm not terrified or anything in that nature. I just want to be ready. Thank you all, brothers and sisters. May all your Ramadans go well by the grace of God!

Peace and Blessings to all!

-Dwayne

areen
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm a convert myself too, so I do have some understanding of what it feels like. I agree with everyone else, go to the mosque. It's scary at first because everything's new, and meeting new people from a different background can be awkward. But as you get to know them, it gets easier. The first step is always the hardest. Most Muslims are really open and welcoming to new converts :), and it's always nice to have someone to show you how to do your salats, and to have some support while you're fasting. This is the month where everyone gets together and support one another!

Mashallah, your family have accepted your conversion! My family was the same, they didn't understand Islam but they supported me in their unique way. I started to cover my hair, and my grandma said she didn't mind me being Muslim, but she said my scarf was 'ugly' and that it wasn't how Americans "dress" LOL. She eventually warmed up to it, though.

Muslim Woman
07-20-2012, 01:44 AM
:sl:

may Allah makes it easy for u bro . As already suggested , try to visit mosque and make friendship with Muslims. InshaAllah u will be able to make use of holy Ramadan properly.

Muslim Woman
07-20-2012, 02:26 AM
:sl:

did not watch the videoes ; looks like can be encouraging for u .

American Ramadan: Official Move Trailer

http://americanramadan.com/trailer

Muslims in America fasting

Abdul-Raouf
07-20-2012, 04:08 AM
This ramadhan i suggest you guys an easy task(earn good deeds)..... If you dont know how to do salaat or if u find difficult to learn arabic....
- Just do wudhu and sit in masjid(do dikhr or read quran english translation or read hadiths).... Alhamdulillah the experience will be cool and you will be getting the duas of malaikas who are there in the masjid as well :)

one more request ..try to use the word masjid ..instead of the english word... lets make that word masjid popular..:)

demmaster
07-20-2012, 12:28 PM
:D Thank you, everyone. I have read the entire Qur'an a while back and it was a good feeling. I am reading it again. I'm also learning all I can about salat and I'll be an expert at it soon enough ;) I hope everyone is having a fantastic Ramadan. I have begun my fast. I also intend on going to Friday prayer today and then return to the mosque, or as brother Abdul said masjid ;) tonight. I thank everyone here. I also intend on being a regular forum member here. My posts I've noticed there was a gap of my absence. Usually when I join a forum, I'm here for the long haul :D Once again, thanks everyone!

Peace and Blessings to all!

-Dwayne

Muhammad
07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam Dwayne,

Congratulations on your conversion. I'm very happy to hear of your experiences with Islam and I hope your first Ramadhan will be wonderful Insha'Allaah.

In Ramadhan, Muslims gather for a special night prayer (called Taraweeh) in Masjids, where the Imam recites portions of the Qur'an each night, such that the entire Qur'an is completed by the end of the month. This is unique in Ramadhan, so it is an excellent time to attend the Masjid and appreciate the recital of the Qur'an in prayers, and also the atmosphere of many Muslims gathering for congregational prayer. Let us know how your experiences at the Masjid go Insha'Allaah. Looking forward to more of your posts.

muslimah bird
07-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Walikum Salaam , brother dwayne . I hope you have a great first Ramadan :)

Just to add to what bro Muhammad said , there are also special prayers in some mosques at night in the last 10 days of Ramadan followed by long duas . The quran is said to have been revealed in one of the odd nights of these last 10 days and praying on this night gives the reward higher than a 1000 months ,so please try and make best use of this wonderful month :)

SBK786
07-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Walikum Assalam.

Brother you should visit the mosque, as stated by the other members, but also, if your family are very supportive, you should think about giving Dawah to your family.

Dawah is like making an invitation to the right path.

May Allah guide those who are astray.

+ ALLAH KNOWS BEST.

Abdul Kareem
10-17-2012, 03:32 AM
May Allah reward you for your struggle.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!