/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting with Fibromyalgia

abbey
07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Asalamualakum

I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in March 2012. I am 23 years old and am particularly healthy. I am a pre nursing student part time and work 30 hours a week in a fast paced, strenuous restaurant as a server. I have not had many previous symptoms in the past pointing to Fibromyalgia other then a mental fog which is also called "Fibrofog" which would disturb my ability to concentrate within school/work. Month's leading up to my diagnosis in March, I begun having severe mental fog and confusion, sharp nerve pain, muscle weakness, and fatigue. In medical science there is no "cure" for fibromyalgia, but I do not believe this. So I have chosen to include a variety of vitamins and supplements to help my fibromyalgia symptoms as well as dua's to ask Allah for his mercy in dealing with this condition. The supplements have helped somewhat to tone down the intensity of my pain, but my mental fog is still so severe at times, I find it almost impossible to concentrate or function during work and school.

As Ramadan has begun, I have been able to fast 2/3 of the days so far. The day that I have worked, my fast was broken early because I found it very difficult to function with my symptoms. I am trying to seek out anyone who has any recommendations with fibromyalgia and fasting. I am not sure if fasting with fibromyalgia will make my condition worse...or if I burden the pain and ask Allah for his mercy and help that perhaps fasting could be beneficial to healing this fibromyalgia from my body.
Inshallah this will be something that will not be a burden to me in the future and I will be able to rid it from my body. Please if you have any knowledgeable input regarding this it would be appreciated.

Thank you to everyone who has read this so far, I hope this reaches you in good health and may Allah forgive us and strengthen our Iman during this holy month. Jazakallah Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
07-22-2012, 10:50 PM
how do you think fasting affects your fibromyalgia?

abbey
07-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Salam, thank you for your replies.
As this is my first Ramadan experiencing fasting with fibromyaglia, I have found it more difficult when I am working. The pain is not so much what I can not bear, it is the continuous mental fog and confusion that is made worse when not eating/drinking. While I am not working, my fibromyalgia has been slightly worse, but not to the point that I feel I should not be fasting because I can always rest when I am not feeling well. It would be ideal to cut back on my hours of work during Ramadan, but it is impossible for me at this time because I do not have benefits which allow me to take time off.

To member X-
I live in the United States. Is there a way of contacting these individuals via email?

Snowflake
07-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Wa alaykum assalam wa rahmatullah Sis,

I have fibro too. Check your reps sis.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Zaria~
07-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Assalaum-alaikum,

Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion.

In other words - all other possible causes for ones symptoms need to excluded by means of blood and other indicated tests - before this diagnosis is reached.
This is important, because there is no specific test available to conclusively prove fibromyalgia.

After taking the above into account, the following has shown to be of some benefit:

- Cognitive behavioural therapy (with the aid of a psychologist)
- Exercise
- If there is still no improvement, anti-depressants have been shown to be associated with improvements of the various symptoms of fibromyalgia.

Above all - seek the aid of Allah (subhanawataála) in duaa and zikr.
And trust in Him.

What you experience, is a test from your Rabb.

Allah says in the Quran: “So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief; Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.” (Quran 94:5-6)

This Ramadaan - hold onto your fast, insha Allah.
And make abundant duaa to the One that knows better than anyone, what you are experiencing.

May Allah grant you shifaa' from all that is afflicting you, and may it be a means of elevating your status in the Hereafter.
Ameen

:wa:

CosmicPathos
07-23-2012, 05:21 AM
^^ Sis, was all that from the top of your head? mA.

I had difficulty recalling the ttx for fibro for helping the sis out. I guess mental fog is taking over my reigns too!

Salaam.

جوري
07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (with the aid of a psychologist)
- Exercise
- If there is still no improvement, anti-depressants have been shown to be associated with improvements of the various symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Just to add to that, drugs that can be used for posthereptic neuralgia or herpes zoster etc. can be used as well, gabapentin and pregabalin..
Amitriptyline, I have always felt like it was a good cheap drug that takes care of many problems at once. But I see that probably the sister is going to go an 'alternate route'
at any rate I feel it is best to lay out all the options out there for her. One Amitriptyline a day can perhaps curb on the pain and enable her to carry on with fast.

:w:

abbey
07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Salam, I am sorry that you also have this frustrating condition. What exactly do you mean by "check your reps" Thank you.

IsmailB
07-27-2013, 12:40 AM
I have Fibromyalgia too along with other problems as well due to my time in the military in the Persian Gulf and am in soo much pain with Migraine headaches, back pain, and sciatic nerve problems. It is making it very difficult to fast and today I'm at a point of I'm not sure if I should continue my fast. Today is the 18th day of fasting and I've made it this far. I have medication for these conditions but I don't like taking them because they keep me doped up and sleepy all the time where I can't function. I am on disability from Social Security and from the Veterans Administration at 100% Unemployable due to this condition and haven't worked since 2009, my wife runs a house cleaning business and supports the family as well. Please help with feed back, should I continue to fast or stop?

Yanal
07-29-2013, 02:49 AM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by abbey
Salam, I am sorry that you also have this frustrating condition. What exactly do you mean by "check your reps" Thank you.
To check reps you can click the tab 'settings' and then scroll down until you see 'Latest Reputation Received'. You can then view who gave you the rep and what comment they left for you. As for your initial concern, can you not check with a doctor if fasting does indeed worsen your condition?
format_quote Originally Posted by IsmailB
I have Fibromyalgia too along with other problems as well due to my time in the military in the Persian Gulf and am in soo much pain with Migraine headaches, back pain, and sciatic nerve problems. It is making it very difficult to fast and today I'm at a point of I'm not sure if I should continue my fast. Today is the 18th day of fasting and I've made it this far. I have medication for these conditions but I don't like taking them because they keep me doped up and sleepy all the time where I can't function. I am on disability from Social Security and from the Veterans Administration at 100% Unemployable due to this condition and haven't worked since 2009, my wife runs a house cleaning business and supports the family as well. Please help with feed back, should I continue to fast or stop?
So you have to take the medicine in order to function properly and carry out your job and you are unsure if you should continue fasting or not?

IsmailB
07-29-2013, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal

To check reps you can click the tab 'settings' and then scroll down until you see 'Latest Reputation Received'. You can then view who gave you the rep and what comment they left for you. As for your initial concern, can you not check with a doctor if fasting does indeed worsen your condition?

So you have to take the medicine in order to function properly and carry out your job and you are unsure if you should continue fasting or not?
Salaamu Alaikum, I don't like taking the medicine but it makes me sooo drowsy and sleepy that I can't function properly. I am disabled from the State and from the Veterans Administration and I don't work at all, my wife does. I don't work because of my illnesses. It's called Gulf War Illness, please look that up and you will see what it does to me, too many things to list. I have been doing good with fasting up till about 5 days ago but now it is starting to take it's toll on me a few hours before the fast is over. Please advise.
Wasalaam

Yanal
07-29-2013, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsmailB
Salaamu Alaikum, I don't like taking the medicine but it makes me sooo drowsy and sleepy that I can't function properly. I am disabled from the State and from the Veterans Administration and I don't work at all, my wife does. I don't work because of my illnesses. It's called Gulf War Illness, please look that up and you will see what it does to me, too many things to list. I have been doing good with fasting up till about 5 days ago but now it is starting to take it's toll on me a few hours before the fast is over. Please advise.
Wasalaam

Is there anyway you can visit a doctor and get reassurance that fasting does not make your condition worse than it is at the moment?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!