/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to do itikaf?

ILuvAllah
08-13-2012, 12:05 PM
I want to do itikaf the last 3 days of Ramadan but I have no idea how to do it. can someone explain please?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ILuvAllah
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Hello? help me out here anyone plz

~ AbduRahman ~
08-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Praise be to Allaah.

I’tikaaf is only valid if done in the mosque, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not have sexual relations with them (your wives) while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”

[al-Baqarah 2:187]

Men and women are equal in this regard.

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni:

A woman has the right to observe i‘tikaaf in any mosque, and that is not subject to the condition that it be a mosque where prayers are performed in congregation, because that is not obligatory upon her. This was the view of al-Shaafa’i.

She does not have the right to observe i'tikaaf in her house, because Allaah says “while you are in I‘tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques”, and because the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked him for permission to observe i’tikaaf in the mosque, and he gave them permission.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’ (6/480):

It is not correct for a man or a woman to observe i'tikaaf anywhere except in the mosque.

This is the view favoured by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen in al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/513

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

You could spend your time during i'tikaf in the mosque by making Thikr/Duaa, reading Quraan, and praying "nafl prayers".

Hamza Asadullah
08-14-2012, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iluv♥Allah
I want to do itikaf the last 3 days of Ramadan but I have no idea how to do it. can someone explain please?
:sl:

According to the Hanafi madhab and some opinions from Shafi'i and some opinions from the Maliki madhab women may make I'tikaf at a designated place in her home, preferrably at the back of the house. This is because they state that if it is preferable for a woman to pray in her home rather than the Masjid then the same would apply to women wanting to sit I'tikaf which they say is preferable at the back of her house just like her prayer is also preferred at the back of her house.

It is recommended for women to designate a place in their houses as their 'masjid'. They can do i`tikaf there at any time, even for a brief period of time, [Radd al-Muhtar]

A women on her menses may also do I'tikaf at a a designated place in her own home.

So pick a room preferably at the back of your house making intention of making I'tikaf for 3 days and only leave the room for toilet, Wudu, ghusl or absolute emergencies.

May Allah reward you abundantly. Ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ILuvAllah
08-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Oh so I cant do it at home :( I was really looking forward to it.

ILuvAllah
08-14-2012, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah

According to the Hanafi madhab and some opinions from Shafi'i and some opinions from the Maliki madhab women may make I'tikaf at a designated place in her home, preferrably at the back of the house. This is because they state that if it is preferable for a woman to pray in her home rather than the Masjid then the same would apply to women wanting to sit I'tikaf which they say is preferable at the back of her house just like her prayer is also preferred at the back of her house.

A women on her menses may also do I'tikaf at a a designated place in her own home.

So pick a room preferably at the back of your house making intention of making I'tikaf for 3 days and only leave the room for toilet, Wudu, ghusl or absolute emergencies.

May Allah reward you abundantly. Ameen
Thanks akhi. So how do I make the intention of it? and I'm not suppose to speak those 3 days right?

Hamza Asadullah
08-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Thanks akhi. So how do I make the intention of it? and I'm not suppose to speak those 3 days right?
It is not important to say a specific intention verbally but intentions are made in the heart which may also be affirmed by the tongue if it helps one to make a better intention. So affirm that you will make I'tikaf for a specific amount of time solely for the pleasure of Allah and in your heart think of as many good intentions regarding the purpose of you sitting I'tikaf as possible and your rewards will be magnified inshaAllah.

~ AbduRahman ~
08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Oh so I cant do it at home I was really looking forward to it.
As brother Hamza mentioned, there are some views that you can do i'tikaf at home. However, the majority of scholars say that women have the same case for i'tikaf as men.

Hamza Asadullah
08-14-2012, 02:08 PM
There is nothing in the Shari’ah to prevent the women performing I’tikaf in the mosque provided that they fulfil the rights of their family (husband) and that there are facilities for women in the mosques. However, we see that most if not all of the mosques in the U.K and particularly in London do not have adequate facilities for women to perform I’tikaf in the mosques.

Many scholars are of the opinion that allowing women to perform I’tikaf in the mosques at this time where there are no proper arrangements made for them may (and will) open the door to fitnah. Therefore, unless proper arrangements are made where the women can be secure and safe and there is no room for sedition, it is better for women to perform I’tikaf in their homes.

Source: http://maqasid.wordpress.com/2009/09...n-the-mosques/

~ AbduRahman ~
08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
There is nothing in the Shari’ah to prevent the women performing I’tikaf in the mosque provided that they fulfil the rights of their family (husband) and that there are facilities for women in the mosques.
Exactly!

Therefore, sister Iluv♥Allah knows whether she could go to mosque with suitable places for women or not. May Allah reward you sister.
We ask Allah to help us to do and say that which He loves and with which He is pleased.

Hamza Asadullah
08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~ AbduRahman ~
Exactly!

Therefore, sister Iluv♥Allah knows whether she could go to mosque with suitable places for women or not. May Allah reward you sister.
We ask Allah to help us to do and say that which He loves and with which He is pleased.
Since there are hardly any facilities for women to do I'thikaf in a Masjid in the UK then why should she be deprived of such huge rewards. Therefore according to many scholars from the 3 madhabs she and any other woman can make I'tikaf at home.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Insaanah
08-14-2012, 05:18 PM
:sl: sister

I'm not suppose to speak those 3 days right?
You can talk as needed only, and that is not a sin for you to do that. But yes, we should avoid any kind of unnecessary or trivial talk of this worldly life. If a family member is ill, you can (and should) ask how they are, you can return salaams, if you need something you can ask for it, etc.

And Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!