/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Missed Ramadan Fasts

tranquility
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
If someone hadn't made up missed Ramadan fasts from years ago (when he/she wasn't religious), is it enough to make up all the days or does the person have to pay a certain amount of money to charity?

Thanks. :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
09-12-2012, 04:07 PM
:sl:

Fatwa No : 127984
Remembering the exact date when making up for a missed day of Ramadhaan
Fatwa Date : Shawwaal 28, 1430 / 18-10-2009

Question

dear brothers, i have missed a few fasts this ramadan and I want to make it up. But I don't exactly remember which day of ramadan was it. For example, I remember I have missed 3 fasts, but whether they were the 4th of ramzan or 14th of ramzan or 21 of ramzan etc, I do not remember. So my question is when i make them up do i just normally make them up thinking that I have missed 3 fasts in total or is it necessary/obligatory/condition to remember the exact date when the fasts were missed?

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

is His slave and Messenger.

It is not necessary for whoever breaks the fast to remember or intend to make up for a particular day –the 4th or the 5th or else –of Ramadhaan; rather, he should make up the days with the intention that they are from Ramadhaan because we are not aware of any religious evidence of this condition, and no scholar has ever mentioned this condition.
However, if you broke the fast without any sound reason, then you are obliged to repent. If you also had intercourse with your wife during the day of Ramadhaan, it is an obligation to expiate for it as well [in addition to making up the fast] as explained in Fatwa 84189.
Allaah Knows best.PrintSend this fatwa to friend

Muslim Woman
09-12-2012, 04:22 PM

Fatwa No : 154267
She delayed making up her missed fasts without a valid reason
Fatwa Date : Jumaadaa Al-Oula 10, 1432 / 14-4-2011

Question

assalamualaikkum my son was born 2 yrs back in the month of ramadan.i have 20 fasts remaining in that year.can you explain what all i should do to repent on tht fasts. my mother says that if a woman gets her period stopped on the fourth day then she can fast but she cannot perform her salah and can perform only after the seventh day. is there any hadith saying so that u can take ur fast but cant perform salah. pls clarify

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

is His slave and Messenger. First of all, along with making up for those days, you must repent for delaying making them up. Your repentance takes place by regretting being negligent about making up your missed fasts and by being determined not to delay it in the future. Also, you are obligated to expiate for every day if you have no valid reason for delaying making it up. It should be noted that ignorance (of the obligation of making up the missed fasts before next Ramadhaan) is considered a valid reason (i.e. it drops the obligation of the expiation). For more benefit, please refer to Fatwa 101245.On the other hand, it is not correct that if the blood discharges of a menstruating woman stop at the fourth day or at any other day, she has to fast and does not have to pray. Menses and postpartum bleeding are among the matters which prevent a woman from the prayer and fasting, and when she becomes pure, she is no longer prevented from fasting or praying and she becomes obligated to perform the prayer and fasting as well. Whenever a woman is permitted to fast, she is permitted to pray, and whenever she is permitted to pray, she is permitted to fast. There is no difference between them except that fasting is acceptable before performing Ghusl (ritual bath) contrarily to the prayer. Also, regarding making up the missed prayer and fasting, a menstruating woman has to make up the fasting but does not have to make up the prayer. For more benefit, please refer to Fatwa 100850.Allaah Knows best.

PrintSend this fatwa to friend

tranquility
09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you for responding, Muslim Woman. I appreciate it. I'm still wondering how exactlly one would expiate? How much money should a person give to charity for each missed day?

Thanks. :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
09-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Salaam

For those that miss any days of fasting during Ramadan, there are two types of missed fasts. For any days missed through necessity, Fidya is payable.

For any days missed unnecessarily, Kaffara is payable. What is Fidya?When someone cannot fast in Ramadan and cannot make them up afterwards (due to ill health or pregnancy) they pay for someone else to be fed.

How much is payable?It is at a rate of £4 per each day that is missed.

(This should provide one person with 2 meals or two persons with 1 meal.)

If someone misses all the fasts of Ramadan, it would amount to £120. What is Kaffara?Kaffara is the compensation that you should give if you deliberately miss or break a fast in the month of Ramadan without a valid reason.

What is the required payment?

To atone for the missed/broken fast, someone must either fast continuously for 60 days, or feed 60 poor people at a rate of £4 per day per person. This amounts to £240 Kaffara for each missed/broken fast.

http://www.islamic-relief.org.uk/Fidya_and_Kaffara.aspx

Muslim Woman
09-13-2012, 02:21 AM

Fatwa No : 83520
Paying for missed fast days
Fatwa Date : Ramadhaan 26, 1422 / 12-12-2001

Question

I am suffering from a major continuous health problem and therefore I can not fast. Can you tell me how much money should I pay (in Canadian dollar, since I live here) per every missed day? I would really appreciate your help. May Allah forgive us all!

Answer

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

If your health problem is as you mentioned and there is no hope to get cured then you should feed a needy Muslim from the food that people in your area eat most of the time.
If you can not find needy Muslims in Canada, then you can substitute the food by Canadian Dollars and send the money to needy Muslims somewhere else.

But if this health problem can be overcome, then you should make up for the missed days and you are not asked to feed needy people.

Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {...but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. ...}[2:184]

Allah knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=83520

tranquility
09-13-2012, 03:50 PM

Thank you for posting those fatwas. I appreciate it.

I'm talking about someone who missed about a week each Ramadan due to menses, but didn't use to make up her days. She only started making up her days a few years ago. Before that, she wasn't really all that religious, so she took making those days up lightly. So she had a reason to miss those days, but no excuse to not make them up.

Does that mean she would have to pay fidya? I don't know if she has to pay kaffara, because she did have a reason to miss those days. Her mistake was in not making the days up.

tranquility
09-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I can't find the edit button, but I'd like to add that she has made up days from the Ramadans from the past few years. But she hasn't made up days from the less recent Ramadans. I hope I'm making sense.

Muslim Woman
09-13-2012, 04:18 PM

if she is able to fast now , she will do one fast for each one missed fast , no kaffara because she was sick .

And Allah Knows Best.

tranquility
09-13-2012, 07:49 PM
I thought there was a kaffara since you have to make up your days before the next Ramadan arrives. She wasn't sick or on menses all throughout the year.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!