/* */

View Full Version : Salam can anyone tell me the context and or what this verse means thank you ?

truthseeker63
09-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Quran 5:51

O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.

Surat Al-Ma'idah [5:51] - The Noble Qur'an - القرآن الكريم

They are [in fact] allies of one another.

The verse says the Jews and Christians are allies of one another my question is are Jews and Christians really allies or in an alliance ? I know many Christians today support Zionism and the so called State of Israel but when I look at history Jews did suffer from Persecution by Christians therefor how can they be an alliance ? Also since the Jews and Christians have both Corrupted the Torah and the Gospel is this an alliance between them thank you ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muwaahid
09-26-2012, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Quran 5:51

O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.

Surat Al-Ma'idah [5:51] - The Noble Qur'an - القرآن الكريم

According to Tafseer Al-Baydhaawee he mentions concerning the part of the verse:

"Oh you who believe do not take the jews and christians as friends/protectors"

He said, "And do not rely upon them and do not live amongst them in a loving way" [tafseer al-baydhaawee 1-271]

And concerning the part of the verse where Allah Al-Lateeful Khabeer says:

"They are friends or supoorters of one another"

"Verily they have agreed to oppose you [oh muslims] the have love and allegiance for one another unifying and uniting their deen and having concensus upon opposing and contradicting you [oh muslims].
They are [in fact] allies of one another.

The verse says the Jews and Christians are allies of one another my question is are Jews and Christians really allies or in an alliance ?

***Are you indoubt concerning the speech of Allah? Allahs states it clearly that they are Awliyyah of one another. Your problem with the verse is a result from putting forth your Aql [intellect] before the Naql [religious texts]. Perhaps you think what you witnessed or experienced contradicts the book of Allah as if that is a valid proof to refute Al-Aleem[the All Knowing] Al-A'laamul Ghuyoob [The Supreme Knower of everything in detail whether it can be percieved by our own vision or whether it is something that remains unseen] Have you not read the verse in the book of Allah from Al- Aleemul Khabeeru[The Fully Aware, the one who comprehends and encompasses the inner realities and the outer realities of every single thing in existence] Ash-Shaheed[the Witness to all things both past and present]:
"Oh you who believe! Make not [a decision] in advance before Allah and His Messenger,and fear Allah verily Allah is all Hearing All Knowing" [49:1]

Ibn Abbas [radhia Allahu anhumaa] said concerning this verse "do not say anything that contradicts the Qur'aan and the Sunnah" [tafsir ibn katheer].

So we were prohibited from arriving at an understanding before consulting the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] Our Aql [intellect] submits to the texts and the texts or verses increase us in Imaan.

I know many Christians today support Zionism and the so called State of Israel but when I look at history Jews did suffer from Persecution by Christians therefor how can they be an alliance ?

***Even so Allah spoke the truth and they are Awliyyah of each other, if you take a look at all the verses concerning the Jews and the Christians in the Qur'aan and the authenticated Sunnah of the Prophet [sallallahu alayhi wa sallam] then you would bear witness to the speech of Allah. From amongst them is the statement of Allah Al-Aleemul Haqq:
"Never will the Jews and Christians ever be pleased with you until you follow their religion"
[2:120]

They will never be pleased with us, they will consistantly invite us to follow them in their new religion called Democracy, they consistantly call us to oppose our own revelation and to be apologetic for the being Muslim! Yaa Subhana Allah!

Also since the Jews and Christians have both Corrupted the Torah and the Gospel is this an alliance between them thank you ?
We as Muslim have to submit to the text, as part of our Islaam is having correct beliefs and having Inqiyaad [willful submissive obedience] and having Qabool Munaafi Li-Radd [Acceptance which prevents one from rejection] not to mention Al-Yaqeen [certainty] believing the book of Allah is the Speech of Allah and it is preserved and correct. And having this Qabool is obligatory and rejecting or denying or even doubting is totally unacceptable as Allah says:
"Do you believe in part of the Book and reject a part of it"
[2:85]

Independent
09-26-2012, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muwaahid
We as Muslim have to submit to the tex
I wonder if you can clarify for me (as a non-Muslim) do you mean to say that the idea of a formal Christian/Jewish alliance is therefore matter of Qur'anic-backed certainity? That is to say, not just a deduction or observation from the actual events and behaviours by Christian/Jewish states through the centuries?

In other words, is it impossible for a Muslim to deny the existence of this alliance, because to make such a statement would itself be un-Islamic?

جوري
09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
The Jews and Christians are only allied for mutual interests. Jews don't believe in the Christian bible certainly say vile things about Jesus and his mother while the Christans don't adhere to any lawsof the OT including the identity of God!
So no clue what you mean by denying the alliance? The Quran is also known as al furqan for it's the criterion that came to set aright and distinguish what's right and wrong in what preceded!

Best,

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
The verse says the Jews and Christians are allies of one another my question is are Jews and Christians really allies or in an alliance ? I know many Christians today support Zionism and the so called State of Israel but when I look at history Jews did suffer from Persecution by Christians therefor how can they be an alliance ? Also since the Jews and Christians have both Corrupted the Torah and the Gospel is this an alliance between them thank you ?
No, I read in Tafseer Al Maraghi, that "They are [in fact] allies of one another" means : Christians are allies of one another, and Jews are allies of one another, not allegiance between Jews and Christians. Wallahu Aalam.

Independent
09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm not asking anything about possible motivations for the alliance, or about evidence of the alliance in practice - that's for other threads.

What I am trying to clarify is, given the verse as quoted, together with the gloss by Tafseer al Baydhaawee, does that mean that to believe in the existence of this alliance is in effect prescribed by the Qur'an? Does it mean that this belief should be taken as an instruction like any other Qur'anic instruction?

That would appear to mean that, if a Muslim were to decline to believe in the factual existence of an alliance against Muslims between Christian states and Jewish states throughout history, such a view could itself be seen as un-Islamic?

Independent
09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
Christians are allies of one another, and Jews are allies of one another, not allegiance between Jews and Christians.
I posted my last question before reading this. I am confused. These are 2 different interpretations?

marwen
09-26-2012, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Independent
if a Muslim were to decline to believe in the factual existence of an alliance against Muslims between Christian states and Jewish states throughout history, such a view could itself be seen as un-Islamic?
I hope I understood your question.
Yes, if the verse has a clear and direct meaning, which we believe as muslims will never occur (to find a clear verse in the quran that contradicts a real fact). But we are here talking about Tafseer(s) which are a human interpretation of a Quran verse that is subject to interpretations, so Tafseer is not as consecrating as Quran.

Independent
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
But we are here talking about Tafseer(s) which are a human interpretation of a Quran verse that is subject to interpretations, so Tafseer is not as consecrating as Quran
I understand that the verse itself cannot be wrong. However, you do disagree with Tafseer's interpretation of the verse, and therefore presumably also Muwaahid who quoted it? Do you think that such a view is commonplace? I know the verse is often quoted in this context.

marwen
09-26-2012, 10:58 AM
However, you do disagree with Tafseer's interpretation of the verse, and therefore presumably also Muwaahid who quoted it?
The tafseer mentioned by brother Muwaahid does not explicitely say that Jews and Christians are allies.

I have to add that the apparent unconformity between Quran and Reality can be due to 2 things :
- First, the misunderstanding of Quran, which is due to wrong interpretation of Quran or even of tafseer(explanation) of Quran.
- Second, which brother Muwaahid mentioned, the misunderstanding of Reality (ignorance of history or present facts).

marwen
09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Do you think that such a view is commonplace? I know the verse is often quoted in this context.
Yes, but saying that Jews and Christians are "allies" is not correct, but what makes some muslims have that understanding ? I think it's because against muslims, Jews and Christians have the same position, and may be they help each other. But does this make them Awlia'a (allies) in general, I think not. Because we know how much christians and jews oppose each other in religion and through history. wallahu aalam.

Independent
09-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, but saying that Jews and Christians are "allies" is not correct, but what makes some muslims have that understanding ? I think it's because against muslims, Jews and Christians have the same position, and may be they help each other. But does this make them Awlia'a (allies) in general, I think not. Because we know how much christians and jews oppose each other in religion and through history. wallahu aalam.
Thank you for your reply. I very much hope most people share your reasoning. I think it is important that Muslims don't believe that the existence of such a permanent alliance is endorsed by the Qur'an, because in that case there would be no hope of ever having peace between Muslims and Christians/Jews.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!