/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should Parents Ban Words From Children's Vocabulary?

جوري
10-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Mommyish blog contributor Carinn Jade noticed that her three-year-old is learning more than the ABCs and how to share at preschool. The influence of his new peers has introduced new school-savvy vocabulary, and she’s not completely comfortable with him using the language he's picked up, such as "penis," "winning," and "girlfriend."
While she doesn’t believe that words like “penis’ are harmful to young children, she questions the way they learn to use such words as a trigger or to get a reaction. “At three years old, he doesn’t fully comprehend or can’t use that word the way it’s meant to be.”
Jade discussed the influence of school and peers on vocabularies with Alicia Menendez on HuffPost Live, and shared her thoughts on whether parents should attempt to yank certain words out of children’s speech.
They were joined by Lisa Belkin, HuffPost Senior Columnist, mothers Jenny Feldon and Diane Mizota, Holly Cashman, Associate Professor of Linguistics at the University of New Hampshire, and Matthew Dicks, an elementary school teacher and father.

Watch the clip above and the full segment on HuffPost Live.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D213390

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I say ignore it & distract them otherwise it will play over and over in their head and really become an issue... I remember that the bad words in any language that someone taught me or I heard by accident and quizzed to meaning were the ones that stuck in my head no matter how badly I tried to forget them :embarrass..
but yeah how mortifying for this woman lol..

Marina-Aisha
10-04-2012, 06:36 AM
When I'm talkin to my children bout there private parts I do use cutesy words like "willy" but I have to say when they do get little old I want them to know the proper words cos I think It's important to name body parts as they are! Sad to say, but we live in a world where sexual predators can interact with children and not properly screened. Sexual predators can take form of either gender and age. If a girl cries that her flower or wee-wa hurts, or a boy's hanger hurts, a health care professional or police investigator has to write down word for word what the child says, even if the intended body part relates to penis or vagina. Using the phrase "private parts" is also fine, that's just hw I feel other mothes maybe different.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!