/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Roach-Eating Contest Winner, Dies After Eating 'Dozens' Of Insects A

جوري
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
A South Florida man collapsed and died Friday night after winning a snake in a roach-eating contest.
32-year-old Edward Archbold had signed up to eat a variety of insects and worms at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, where staff promised a female ivory ball python to the "Eat Bugs For Balls" winner.
But after taking the contest by eating "dozens" of worms and roaches, Archbold fell ill and threw up before collapsing in front of the store, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office. He was later pronounced dead at hospital.
None of the other contestants became sick, according to investigators, and autopsy reports to determine Archbold's cause of death are pending.
"None of us in that competition thought this would happen," wrote Robert Farthing on the store's Facebook page, admiring Archbold for sporting a headband for the contest "like a true athlete."
Ben Siegel Reptile Store's attorney, Luke Lirot, said the bugs in the contest were "taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles" and offered condolences to Archbold's family.
In a statement posted over the weekend, store staff said "although we just met Eddie the night of the sale, we all liked him right away."
Staff said the prize python belongs now to Archbold's estate.
oMANDIESROACHEATINGCONTESTBENSIEGELREPTI 1?6 -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D217488

again why do people do such stupid things?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hulk
10-09-2012, 06:33 PM
+o(+o(+o(+o(+o(

جوري
10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
still not as gross as those plastic surgery disasters.. we've to keep looking at their faces unfortunately!

Aprender
10-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Eww eww ewww. Reminds me of that show Fear Factor where they eat roaches and fish pig hearts out of bloody water for money. It's disgusting.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hulk
10-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Several years ago my cousin went to Thailand and brought back a small tupperware with fried maggots. I tried one.. :nervous:

glo
10-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Why???! +o(

جوري
10-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I Left you a rep meant for sis above you by mistake lol.. so disregard it.. I'd love to pass reps you know but they should be less girly ;Dmy humble apologies

Hulk
10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
;DWas lost in confusion for a second there.
Good to know the "sissy" wasn't meant for me :shade:

Btw the maggot was kind of salty and crunchy. That's all I remember. It was pretty small so it's not like I can "savour" it.

Muhaba
10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
some sick contests should be outlawed. whatever is the world coming too?

Scimitar
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
why do these threads even turn up? weird worm threads, man dies of eating balrgh thread, etc etc etc... it's just BLARGH!!!

If I wanted to go to a weird stuff website, I'm sure I could find one.

Some seriously disturbing peeps on this forum with very weird, questionable fascinations

Scimi

جوري
10-09-2012, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
If I wanted to go to a weird stuff website, I'm sure I could find one.
Which does beg the question of what you're doing visiting this thread or similar and commentating when if you felt it inappropriate for health/sci. to simply report it and have it removed!

best,

Muezzin
10-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Easy, folks. No need to get ants* in your pants.

*Or indeed, cockroaches. In your stomach.

If there are any problems with any particular thread, please use the report function.

GuestFellow
10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
What sad news. I hope his family are able to cope with such loss.

I'm not entirely sure if the man died only due to eating insects. There may have been other factors.

جوري
10-09-2012, 08:56 PM
he probably had an allergic reaction to some 'ingredient' therein- and it is indeed very sad news that people feel they have to humiliate themselves for some prize!

Scimitar
10-09-2012, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

*Or indeed, cockroaches. In your stomach.
I had to chuckle. I personally woulda used the worm example but hey, either one works.

Whatever the case, it's a sick fascination :D nothing changes that fact.

Aprender
10-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Whatever the case, it's a sick fascination nothing changes that fact.
I'm confused. What fascination? On the part of people who eat bugs to win snakes or money?

Scimitar
10-09-2012, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
I'm confused. What fascination? On the part of people who eat bugs to win snakes or money?
1) the people who eat bugs.

2) the people who go out of their way to find these crazy videos and post them here - let's face it, they too are fascinated by this kinda thing.

hope that answers your question :)

Scimi

Aprender
10-10-2012, 12:04 AM
1) the people who eat bugs.

2) the people who go out of their way to find these crazy videos and post them here - let's face it, they too are fascinated by this kinda thing.

hope that answers your question

Scimi
Oh. This kind of news is all over the HuffPost and CNN and a few other common internet news places. Doesn't take much to find it. I've actually thought of posting some strange news like this here too a couple of times but I always get distracted with my other projects.

I think most of us here find this sad and gross but certainly not fascinated by it. :( Strange world we live in is all.

Serendipity
10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
You always post weird news..

Ramadan90
10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Wow. Just wow. I thought it only existed in films, but I guess not.

Samiun
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Saw this on the news :( Why would you wanna risk your live eating these things :(

Snowflake
10-11-2012, 08:59 AM
This story reminds me of the people who liken muslims to savages, yet see those who do things only an animal would do as heroes. What a strange world we live in.

LauraS
10-20-2012, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
This story reminds me of the people who liken muslims to savages, yet see those who do things only an animal would do as heroes. What a strange world we live in.
lol! Even a thread like this can be turned into Muslim v non-Muslim? How do you know those in the contest even think Muslims are savages and how do you know non-Muslims don't think the people taking part in the competition are foolish?

People across the world actually eat insects as part of their diet but to gorge yourself on live insects is just disgusting. :heated: I just do not see why these sort of competitions happen, why do people want to be so digusting? It's like that vile awful programme "I'm a celebrity" or as it should be named "I'm a D-lister whose career has fallen by the wayside"- for those who are from other parts of the world it'sa competition where "celebrities" go to a jungle and take part in challenegs. One of them is to eat live insects. WHY do people enjoy it?

Sorry to babble on it's just I have a really weak stomach and just the thought of things like this makes me feel very sick and so I get angry at the people who do this kind of thing. +o( Plus I hate killing anything and find eating live creatures cruel, no matter how small they are, I think all living things should be treated with respect. I even have to guide flies out of the house. I'll :omg: now.

joyous fairy
10-20-2012, 06:34 PM
+o(

Maybe the guy ate the insects thinking they were dead but were intact alive and they went into his stomach and started eating him to get their own back? :hmm:

جوري
10-20-2012, 06:41 PM
:haha: I doubt that, he probably just had an allergic reaction to something in the insects.

and Allah swt knows best

GuestFellow
10-20-2012, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
+o(

Maybe the guy ate the insects thinking they were dead but were intact alive and they went into his stomach and started eating him to get their own back? :hmm:
....ah no.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!