/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Boys -- like girls -- hitting puberty earlier

جوري
10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
CNN) -- Boys in the United States are starting puberty earlier than ever, according to a new study publishing in the November issue of the journal Pediatrics. In the study, lead author Marcia Herman-Giddens from the University of North Carolina's School of Public Health and her colleagues show that boys are starting to sexually develop six months to two years earlier than medical textbooks say is standard.
This research has been a long time coming. Herman-Giddens first documented early puberty in girls in 1997, and several studies have since backed up those findings.
One of the reasons it took so long to do a comprehensive study on early puberty in boys, Herman-Giddens said, is that the onset is more difficult to identify. For girls, breast development and the start of a menstrual cycle are obvious clues. For boys, the onset of puberty comes in the form of enlarged testes and the production of sperm.
Researchers responded: " 'Yikes, we don't want to ask about that!' " Herman-Giddens said with a laugh.
But ask they did -- 212 practitioners across the country examined more than 4,100 boys aged 6 to 16. The practitioners recorded information on the boys' genital size and pubic hair appearance.
Researchers assigned each boy's data to one of five stages -- Stage 1 being pre-puberty, Stage 2 being the onset of puberty and Stage 5 being adult maturity. They then compared the ages and puberty stages of all the boys. The rigorous study was designed to report on only physical changes, not hormonal.
Having the sex talk: Is your tween too sexy too soon?
The results were broken down by race: African-American boys start hitting Stage 2 first, at about 9 years old, while non-Hispanic white and Hispanic boys begin developing around 10 years old. "This should have an impact on the public health community," Herman-Giddens said.
But the researcher is concerned about using the numbers as a new standard for pediatricians. "That might be normal now," she said, "but that doesn't mean it's normal in the sense of what's healthy or what should be."
One of the reasons she's worried is that our environment may be playing a role in accelerating puberty.
"The changes are too fast," Herman-Giddes said. "Genetics take maybe hundreds, thousands of years. You have to look at something in the environment. That would include everything from (a lack of) exercise to junk food to TV to chemicals."
Dr. Megan Kelsey, an assistant professor of pediatric endocrinology with Children's Hospital Colorado, said several studies have shown an association between childhood obesity and early puberty in girls.
Fat tissue has the ability to covert other hormones into estrogen, which experts believe may lead to early breast development. Fat also creates the hormone leptin, which is necessary for the onset of puberty, Kelsey said.
The little research that has been done on the relation between obesity and puberty in boys has shown conflicting results. A few studies found puberty is delayed in obese males -- possibly because of excess estrogen in the body.
Obesity could still be to blame, but a closer examination is needed, Kelsey said. The problem is a lot of other factors that could be involved.
"It's a very complicated subject," said Sonya Lunder, a senior analyst with the Environmental Working Group. "We're finding a lot of the chemicals that Americans have daily exposure to have an impact."
Studies have linked environmental chemicals to everything from decreases in sperm concentration to increases in birth defects to behavioral problems in children.
But identifying the specific chemicals that are causing hormonal changes has so far been impossible. Skepticism abounds about food additives, pesticides and chemicals like BPA, Lunder said.
BPA may be linked to childhood obesity
"The overall concern is that by hastening puberty you're actually shortening childhood," she said. "The real impact of this is not only on future fertility," but also that puberty is a "physiological change in your brain."
Parents should be aware that their boy or girl could hit puberty earlier than they did as children, Herman-Giddes said. They may need to give "the birds and the bees" talk earlier or be prepared to explain their child's body changes.
Early development in girls has been linked to poor self-esteem, eating disorders, and depression, according to Health.com. The findings for boys are not as clear, but parents should be on the lookout for risky behaviors.
One thing that should be a relief for parents, though, is that boys are still seemingly reaching sexual maturity at the same age as they have in the past.
"Although they seem to be starting a little bit earlier, they seem to reach the end of puberty at the same time as they used to," Kelsey said. We're "not going to have grown men in eighth grade."
For more information on talking to your child about puberty, visit KidsHealth.org or HealthyChildren.org.
Child eating disorders on the rise

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/20/health...rty/index.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Very interesting.
I read today that girls reach puberty 5 years sooner now than in the 1920's!

How does this tie in with recent discussions around the mental maturity of teenagers and whether we can assume teenagers to reach mental maturity when they become physically mature?

How do we handle our teenagers when the gap between physical maturity and mental/emotional maturity widens?

~Zaria~
10-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

I wouldnt worry too much.....

Precocious puberty (i.e pubertal development that occurs at an earlier age, that is considered normal) is accepted at under the age of 9 years in boys.
(However in females, there are differences in the definitions: puberty under the age of 7 for Caucasian girls and under the age of 6 for African-American females.
(there are other medical groups that use higher age cut-offs) )

There are many factors involved: genetics, ethnicity as well as enviromental factors (its still debatable how great an impact this may have, but certainly we are not seeing a flood of precocious boys and girls at present. Alhamdulillah for this! : ) )

Also, consider the young age at which Ayesha (ra) reached puberty (there is differences in narrations, of her actual age at marriage to the prophet (sallalahu alaihi wasalam), but certainly we can tell that it was common for puberty (and marriage) to occur at young ages).

In any case, whatever is meant to happen will happen within the decree of Allah - no sooner, no later.
SubhanAllah.

So dont worry too much guys : )

Do your bit to live as healthy/ natural as possible......and leave the rest to Allah.

:wa:

جوري
10-22-2012, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Zaria~
So dont worry too much guys : )
I am not personally worried.
The prophet PBUH used to consult with 13 year olds.. the problem is that they've swapped brains for physique- so they become bird brained and big bodied and that's a terrible combination.
Peter the Great was already plotting against his step brother to the throne of Russia when he was 11..
I just marvel at how far we've come only to regress completely like animals.
Maybe it is the food or genes or environmental or whatever, with GMO's and everything being tampered with, they often find out things in retrospect and when it is too late - I just find it sad one way or the other. They pass them BCP to 11 year olds in middle America but they don't teach them much else beyond caving in to their animal lusts.. and then justify it by early maturity.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Endymion
10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
I blame uncontrolled media and supervision free internet use for all that.Can you imagine a 17 year old girl used to think all that male female relationship in only in tv and only dirty people do that and it doesn't exist in real life.But then,one day,they had had cable tv connection in their toxic free house and destroyed her dream world :hmm:

جوري
10-22-2012, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I blame uncontrolled media and supervision free internet use for all that.Can you imagine a 17 year old girl used to think all that male female relationship in only in tv and only dirty people do that and it doesn't exist in real life.But then,one day,they had had cable tv connection in their toxic free house and destroyed her dream world :hmm:
What concerns me is even the cartoon aimed at 6-7 year olds that my niece watches is so vile and disgusting that it would have been thought of as an abomination in this country itself not a 100 years ago. So scandalous walhi, and all those 12 year olds are running around like runaway hookers. It is unbelievable to me.
I saw one episode of this 'wife swap' where the guy took his three daughters out of school, quit his job bought a mobile home so he can home school them because as he put it, he wasn't going to have a 16 year old turn up with a kid out of wedlock. I can't believe the commercials the subject of the cartoons themselves never deal with moral issues like honesty and politeness or whatever, the language is vile the humor is very below the belt (have you ever watched sponge bob?) the other day the hunch back was on and it was frightening all the sexual innuendos, especially from the lecherous old priest and my niece kept pleading with me to let her watch it.. ugh ugh ugh

Endymion
10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
I never watch sponge bob and the other you mentioned sis,i actually dont like sponge bob never know what is it about but other cartoons i used to watch when i noticed they are not like cartoons of my childhood i.e,Smurfs,Thunder cats,Captain Planet etc etc and i dont know if they had anything vulgar coz our National Tv censored it all but these praivate channels ruined all that.I got surprised when a class three kid told me i wont sit with girls and when i said she is your sister,the whole class begin to laugh +o( This shocked me so time is changing faster and kids cant write an essay by their own but they know famous love stories and all that nonsense :hmm::hmm:

جوري
10-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Oh my God you're from the days of thunder cats, smurfs, my little pony and care bears too? hehehehe ;D
ah man.. I got to tell you I don't recognize this world I find myself in, I can't believe how old I am, I was just eight years old like yesterday, how the hell did this happen. I find myself constantly trying to catch up with how life just passed me by sob7an Allah.. all of a sudden everyone and their mother is younger than me? how did that happen.. auf auf..:hmm:

~Zaria~
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ

The prophet PBUH used to consult with 13 year olds.. the problem is that they've swapped brains for physique- so they become bird brained and big bodied and that's a terrible combination.
Peter the Great was already plotting against his step brother to the throne of Russia when he was 11..
I just marvel at how far we've come only to regress completely like animals.
This is true.

I blame TV for our mental decay.

If Allah were to ever bless me with kids oneday, my babies would never know what a TV is about! : ) (insha Allah!)

Our unfortunate state is that kids are losing their 'spiritual innocence' at earlier ages (through exposure to on-line adult viewing material) as well as the fact that we are living in a more 'sexually-charged' society than ever before.

Semi-nude images are everywhere - billboards, magazine covers, sitcoms......and PG-rated movies have higher explicit thresholds than in the past.

So, its no wonder that kids are showing sexual interest at younger ages.
--> its a strange state to be in - to be not yet physically/ hormonally mature, yet ones mind has already been widely exposed to provocative material.

My 2nd advice for this thread (if you DO chose to worry : )
Prepare your belongings and chose a remote town/ muslim village to make hijrah to.
It may sound like a drastic move to make at the moment, but its honestly becoming increasingly difficult to hold onto ones imaan (in its true meaning).....

جوري
10-22-2012, 07:29 PM
If Allah were to ever bless me with kids oneday, my babies would never know what a TV is about! : ) (insha Allah!)
And may Allah swt bless you with that which you most desire sis and have it be contentment for your eyes, bring you all that is good for your life and the hereafter ...

ameen

Endymion
10-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Ah yes,care bear one of my fav.I love my childhood cartoons and kids tv series :p

And i often feel like i am an old soul i have no connection with this time.I still love my chilhood fantacies and curse cable tv :hmm:

P.S.Ah just 80,Waaaaay younger than me :nervous:

~Zaria~
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Im just reading your replies now......we think alike, alhamdulillah : )

Oh my God you're from the days of thunder cats, smurfs, my little pony and care bears too? hehehehe ;D
ah man.. I got to tell you I don't recognize this world I find myself in, I can't believe how old I am, I was just eight years old like yesterday, how the hell did this happen. I find myself constantly trying to catch up with how life just passed me by sob7an Allah.. all of a sudden everyone and their mother is younger than me? how did that happen.. auf auf..:hmm:
Yes sis, we are from the days of Gummi bears and Knight Rider and Airwolf and the A-Team.

The good 'ol days! : )

lol

~Zaria~
10-22-2012, 07:35 PM

And may Allah swt bless you with that which you most desire sis and have it be contentment for your eyes, bring you all that is good for your life and the hereafter ...

ameen

Thumma Ameen.

And may Allah (subhanawataála) bless all my brothers and sisters on this forum with the same.

Ameen.

جوري
10-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes sis, we are from the days of Gummi bears and Knight Rider and Airwolf and the A-Team.

The good 'ol days! : )
The other day I was looking at this website where they sell 'vintage pieces' and it was from 1994 and I was so dumb struck.. wow 1994 is now vintage.
all those new people and I wonder where the people of my generation went.
Sometimes I watch those oldies but goodies just to make sure I am not some ancient relic I mean they seem fairly modern. I have no sense of time walhi the last 4 years passed as if they were four weeks.. sob7an Allah sob7an Allah.. and so many people lost along the way.. guess pushes us next in that line..

I was musing about that here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...iquid-goo.html

~Zaria~
10-22-2012, 07:45 PM

The other day I was looking at this website where they sell 'vintage pieces' and it was from 1994 and I was so dumb struck.. wow 1994 is now vintage.
You're making me feel old......yet I still feel (and reportedly, look) like a kid!

Age aint nothing but a number.....
You are as old as you feel.....unless you are having problems getting up from a squatting position.....then, you are really old : )

'Abd-al Latif
10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
That's all there was, once upon a time.

Aprender
10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
i noticed they are not like cartoons of my childhood i.e,Smurfs,Thunder cats,Captain Planet etc etc
but...but....I grew up watching these cartoons too. I loved Captain Planet! And I also used to watch Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego? That's how I learned my detective skills and a little bit of German. :-)

Oh. Spongebob was originally created as an adult cartoon but they changed it over for children. That's why the vulgar jokes are in there. Of course it'd go over the head of a child but... =/

You know, the sad part is that it's crept into literature as well. I used to always tell the young ones to stop watching those dumb reality TV shows and pick up a book to improve the reading. But then you have these books these days that are nothing but filth too. Books weren't like that when I was a kid. The most controversial thing I'd come across was reading something with a racist term in it or a curse word here and there and now the books are just completely vulgar and disgusting.

sister herb
10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I read some months ago article what said it may because of additives of foods but it was about girls become to puberty too early.

جوري
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
That's all there was, once upon a time.
You too ya Abd-Al-Latif? sob7an Allah, I pegged you for a boy of 19-21 max. lols

You guys should come out from hiding the rest of us won't feel so alienated in oldhood! :skeleton:

format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
but...but....I grew up watching these cartoons too. I loved Captain Planet!
don't ruin this for me greenhorn!

~Zaria~
10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
You guys should come out from hiding the rest of us won't feel so alienated in oldhood! :skeleton:
I second that! : D

'Abd-al Latif
10-22-2012, 08:28 PM
:salamext:

Who said I can't be between 19-21 and still know of Airwolf!

~Zaria~
10-22-2012, 08:35 PM
^ Yes, but true Airwolf fans are from the '80s!

I still remember when the Airwolf team came to our country......and we lined up to take pics in front of it, lol.

جوري
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
we need to show the greenhorns who are still in their twenties out

Cabdullahi
10-22-2012, 10:11 PM
speaking of puberty, a question primary school boys would ask each other was 'when do we become men?' the answers ranged from 'when you become tall' to 'when you get a deep voice but the best of them all was 'when you make milk from the same place you piss'

We were never told what would happen during puberty, but we were never too far from the truth...we just had funny terms.

جوري
10-22-2012, 10:58 PM
you become a man when you decide you're one. I wouldn't judge it by the ability to father children.
I think all those little boys in Syria have become men already. I see them bearing responsibility - They're growing with things even the most seasoned men couldn't handle. I'd say experience, upbringing & circumstance dictate the coming of age.

sister herb
10-22-2012, 11:35 PM
^^ I hope, I really hope that any little boy wouldn`t need to become man like in Syria but they have possibility to be child as long they are by age.

:hmm:

جوري
10-22-2012, 11:41 PM
I have seen some very intense interviews with kids in the third grade sob7an Allah.. may Allah swt make them victorious and bring us Khilafah rashida in shaa Allah, the streets are watered of the blood of children...

CosmicPathos
10-22-2012, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cabdullahi
the best of them all was 'when you make milk from the same place you piss'
ugh. That is quite a vulgar joke for adolescents (even for grown ups).

@ Cartoons: You have to keep in mind that the cartoons form 90s were considered "too much" and "vulgar" by the generation before us. I remember growing up to captain majed, swat cats, smurfs, woodypecker, mowqli, rami etc.

sister herb
10-22-2012, 11:57 PM
I have met in my works kids whose have become adults too early after seeing how all they family have butchered in front of they eyes. They lost they innocence and became adults, boys and girls.

After talking with them, I wonder when we really learn what humanity is.

:heated:

YusufNoor
10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
:sl:

the whole question of age is an interesting one. personally, i think that the current "physical acceleration" is due to hormones and chemicals in the food, water, air, etc.

that being said, i watched this interesting series of lectures [discussion really] this weekend by John Taylor Grotto. it was pretty fascinating. the theme is how public schools are used to destroy children's imagination, make them easier to control and perpetuate and extended youth, which is used to help control people.

starting with Plato, these ideas have been used to keep "society in place." Athens was a democracy, which led to mob rule; which in turn led to ideas on how to keep the unruly mob in check. from this springs class systems and governments trying to figure out how best to placate the mob and keep their attention focused [primarily, on what YOU want them to focus on].

War is great [for this] because you can get the masses to learn how to behave while serving in the army. it also gets people used to being subordinate [to the rich folks who can afford to be generals]; and wars and enemies are a good way to keep the people distracted.

in the worlds of Kings and Queens, schooling keeps people busy learning their place and how to best serve said Kings and Queens.

the Age of Reason was problematic, because those in charge "reasoned" that their "reasoning" was the best. Martin and Calvin challenged this from the pulpit, but used the same pulpit to make sure that "control" was still maintained. Religion simply challenged the Imperial System for control.

America was a problem because everyone wanted to be free, or at least free of control. so how do you take "freeman" and turn them back into slaves or peasants?

that is what follows in the discussions. but here is a good primer for the series [caution: has music, Beethoven]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJQOgzHR_bg

and here is the first session, preceded by an [infomercial style] intro:

it was well worth watching,

CosmicPathos
10-23-2012, 01:49 AM
anyone? :p

جوري
10-23-2012, 02:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
it was well worth watching,
It is definitely worth a watch.. I like the part where he points out that schools are meant to artificially extend childhood. And that management isn't designed to manage independent units ... God forbid you should have an intelligent thought that falls outside the box in the work place especially when they already hired you as a delta or as he put it ''proletariat''

edit: just finished lecture one, will get to the others tomorrow in shaa Allah.. time for some zzz...

YusufNoor
10-23-2012, 04:07 AM

It is definitely worth a watch.. I like the part where he points out that schools are meant to artificially extend childhood. And that management isn't designed to manage independent units ... God forbid you should have an intelligent thought that falls outside the box in the work place especially when they already hired you as a delta or as he put it ''proletariat''
edit: just finished lecture one, will get to the others tomorrow in shaa Allah.. time for some zzz...
:sl:

i have one more session to finish my second go through. in between i went to the website and looked at the references. it is amazing how we are deliberately dumbed down, and that, in America, this process is nearly complete. i had so many omigish moments that i couldn't believe it.

sadly, Gatto seems a tad incoherent. he had a stroke just after this. but the other guy leads him through in an ordered manner. what we are seeing is the last act of a brilliant man, who managed to piece together just how the "west" had been duped and controlled.

you will also see, beneath the surface, in sha'a Allah, why Islam is such a threat to the west! being a westerner by birth, i found it odd that Islam isn't accompanied by a strict set of "curriculum" that would show, for instance, what kids should be learning in K-6, 7-9, 10-12 grade and so on. "where's the structure?" where is the rigid do A B C of daily life? turns out that those are the controlling parts!

why is it so offensive to the west that Aiyishah was 9 when she got married? why do Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny exist? they don't want you thinking like an adult at age 7! they really don't want you thinking like an adult for the rest of your life! hard to control adults! they want obedient wage slaves! Islam encourages business, but capitalists don't want a bunch of competing capitalists around. they just want your capital!

reciting Qur'an is dangerous because it teaches you how to speak aloud. corporations just want you to learn how to read, so you can follow directions!

and you might get a kick out of this part:

that should stick with you. i hope to get my hands on that book soon, in sha'a Allah!

جوري
10-23-2012, 09:58 AM
When I forwarded this to others I wrote in the message bear with his speech for he seems to have had a stroke but what he has to say is what I've been telling everyone for so long- it took me getting a doctorate and I promise you on my own teaching of self because I had lazy idiots who knew nothing I digress but to this day and looking back I don't think any of the people who taught me biochemistry had the slightest clue what biochemistry is actually about let alone what enzyme fits where - btw the Princeton review is indeed a joke in my quest to reach myself 'medicine for dummies' type thing I ran across it but he summed up the whole course in two seconds the guy was just looking for money as they all are!
At any rate having gone through their crappy system to which I poured a fortune yet taught myself I know exactly where he's coming from- but people can't challenge the system that butters their bread whether or not they know they're modern day slaves to the establishment is a different story all together - very few people have been able to break free successfully. Even if you're the highest educated you still need someone to validate your achievements in order to butter your bread.

Cabdullahi
10-23-2012, 10:33 AM
tigermask!....one of the best cartoons..if not the best

MustafaMc
10-24-2012, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
How does this tie in with recent discussions around the mental maturity of teenagers and whether we can assume teenagers to reach mental maturity when they become physically mature?
I find that there is a big lag in mental maturity behind sexual maturity. What is shocking to me is how aggressive the girls are now as related to me by my son.

joyous fairy
10-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Salam...

I think kids nowadays want to grow up so quickly! They dont want to live their childhood anymore which is so sad because childhood is the best time of your life, where you dont have much worries (thats if youre living in the West).

glo
10-29-2012, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
What is shocking to me is how aggressive the girls are now as related to me by my son.
It's probably another negative effect of misunderstood gender equality - girls/women wanting to be like boys/men ... drinking, cursing, crime, aggression. :hmm:
(Of course I am not saying that all girls/women are like this - but it is an emerging trend)

Qurratul Ayn
10-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Smurfs beats them all.

And Hong Kong Phooey. Dangermouse. The Wombles. The Raccoons...

Legends. Mainly 70's but still rocked in the 80's and 90's.

But I prefer books. Good old books.

Apologies... Reading through the posts, I just thought of these cartoons that I would watch!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!