/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Evil Eye'

جوري
10-24-2012, 07:10 PM
:sl:

I have detached myself from the unusual things I've found insane in my culture and yet also seems to be prevelant in many other ones from Greeks to Romanians and very rampant amongst Muslims.
How Islamic is this whole concept of 'Evil eye'?
Yes people can envy you, they can even desire what you've gone but what of this verse:

At-Tauba (The Repentance)[9:51]

[RECITE]
[top] [next match]

Qul lan yuseebana illa ma kataba Allahu lana huwa mawlana waAAala Allahi falyatawakkali almuminoona
9:51 Say: "Nothing will happen to us except what Allah has decreed for us: He is our protector": and on Allah let the Believers put their trust.

isn't belief in 'evil eye' a form of shirk? Also it seems 99% of the population is suffering from the 'evil eye' could it be that it is just life, sins, circumstance, tests from God- any number of things- who in our midst is not touched by calamity? I'd like to know.. I haven't encountered one person who isn't suffering something major.. so why is evil eye always the foregone conclusions?

It is becoming a peeve of mine and I don't wish to be insensitive but whenever I see it written I feel like I am going to flip my lid.. I really want to understand better these platitudinal conclusions, so we cast schizophrenia as evil eye, and a stain on a new dress as the evil eye, and failure as evil eye and inability to land a job as evil eye, and fluctuations in iman as evil eye.. aren't we just deflecting from our own shortcomings or being impatient with tests we maybe undergoing or sins we maybe expiating for enduring?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
10-24-2012, 07:16 PM
sis the evil eye is most definitly a fact.

Yahya related to me from Malik that Muhammad ibn Abi Umama ibn Sahl ibn Hunayf heard his father say, "My father, Sahl ibn Hunayf, did a ghusl at al-Kharrar. He removed the jubbah he had on while 'Amir ibn Rabi'a was watching, and Sahl was a man with beautiful skin. 'Amir said to him, 'I have never seen anything like I have seen today, not even the skin of a virgin.' Sahl fell ill on the spot and his condition worsened. Somebody went to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and told him that Sahl was ill and could not go with him. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, came to him, and Sahl told him what had happened with 'Amir. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'Why does one of you kill his brother? Why did you not say, "May Allah bless you (tabaraka'llah)"? The evil eye is real. Do wudu' against its effects.' 'Amir did wudu' against it and Sahl went with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and there was nothing wrong with him."

[Bukhari and Muslim]

To be honest I dont know how you can tell if you have been affected by Evil Eye and if 99% of the western population (includes muslims) was affected then I wouldntbe suprised because undoubdetdly there is a huge amount of evil in our eyes.

I find it funny how you considered it shirk. lol how?

Insaanah
10-24-2012, 07:19 PM
:wa: dear sister,

format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
isn't belief in 'evil eye' a form of shirk?
The evil eye is true. These ahadeeth mention it:

http://www.sunnah.com/search/-dq-evil-eye-dq-

The book ad-Dua wa yaleehi ilaaj bil ruqaa min al-kitaab wa al-sunnah by Sa3eed bin Ali bin Wahf al Qahtaani has chapters on what to recite to help prevent it, what to do if it happens etc. That's one of the reasons we say maasha'Allah when seeing something good that someone else has. And we seek refuge in Surah al-Falaq from the envious one when he/she envies.

Ramadan90
10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
The evil eyes is real. And it is scary.

I dont get people who get jealous(grown up people), all it does is taking away your peace of mind. Jealousy is a serious disease.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Jazaki Allah khyran..
I am indeed familiar with the hadith, hence when I wrote:

format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
Yes people can envy you, they can even desire what you've gone
But is it normal to keep thinking that any ill that befalls us is because someone evil eyed us? doesn't that make us cast doubt on others unnecessarily, and doesn't it make us doubt that that nothing happens save what Allah swt has decreed and that people have no part in it whether or not they're evil eyeing us.

I am just confused by this. How can we hold the belief that all that happens is decreed and yet hold the belief that someone caused it to us in the same breath?

:w:

White Rose
10-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Jazak Allah for the links.

How can we prevent ourselves from being inflicted by the evil eye?

I looked at the links above but I wasnt able to read the entire page.

joyous fairy
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Salam, the 4 kuls should be recited for protection against these kind of things.

I do think that the evil eye is prevalent amongst the majority of people these days because people are very materialistic. They get jealous and envious over things. Even Muslims do and some don't even say MashaAllah when praising something good they see in/with a person.

cottonrainbow
02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
ASalamu alaikum!

I do believe the evil eye is a fact. I, for one, am not jealous-natured. I love to see others doing well and looking their best! Unfortunately, most people do not think this way. They are always thinking, "why him/her and not me?"

Some people are soo envious, that they even speak bad wishes and harm for others and their families without realizing it's harmful effects.

I was told that staying in a constant state of wudu is a deterrent to the evil eye. I was also told that reciting Ayat Al Kursi protects against the evil eye.

MashAllah! May Allah SAW be with you at all times and protect you always!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!