/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ethnol

_Y168
10-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Assalaamu 'Alaikum.

I wish to know if Ethanol in the food product 'Silver Spoon Vanilla Essence...' Is allowed? Does it diffuse out of the product as some 'Ulema's do say this; or does it remain inside the product deeming it Haraam?

Jazak Allahu Khayran

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
10-27-2012, 09:42 PM
It is haram.. ma askar katherooh fa qaleeloh 7aram.
There are alternatives to extracts with ethanol in them..
some people make halal propylene glycol instead of frank alcohol but honestly I'd avoid that too. It is a matter of doubt to me but ethanol for sure is what we are forbidden from ingesting!

and Allah swt knows best,

:w:

جوري
10-27-2012, 10:50 PM
btw as an addendum I use vanilla paste or extract which is alcohol free if this person is someone you know I can reference her to which products she can use and can buy from amazon.. Also it is best for max flavor to use the actual vanilla bean.. 'fair trade' is one company that doesn't use alcohol in any form in their extracts.. although in that case the term 'extract' would be a misnomer ..

Muhaba
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I did some research on this recently. What I learned is that Ethanol is haram as it is "the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages." As for other alcohols, such as polyethylene glycol, while chemically they are alcohols, they are not intoxicants and hence not haram. Many pharmaceuticals, including muslim pharmaceuticals use polyethylene glycol in medicine excepeints. Note that for an alcohol to be haram, it has to be intoxicant.

Here's Wikipedia's defination of ethanol: Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. A psychoactive drug and one of the oldest recreational drugs known, ethanol produces a state known as alcohol intoxication when consumed. Best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages, it is also used in thermometers, as a solvent, and as a fuel. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol or spirits.

So, yes ethanol is haram as it is an intoxicant. And so is ethyl alcohol.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_glycol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
10-28-2012, 10:24 AM
I've seen people drink everything from Formic acid to antifreeze when they couldn't afford liquor unfortunately they can cause them anything from blindness to kidney failure. Nonetheless there's a sheet of halal chemicals I had on my position before which doesn't make haram things like propylene but essentially it's windshield wiper fluid you're ingesting and nothing remotely flavorful - they use them as solvents - isn't better to use fresh ingredients? btw there are a fair number of companies who don't use alcohol but a sugar base -- Just thought I'd throw that out there. =) not forcing my choices or anything.

_Y168
10-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Jazakillahu Khayran! Does it make a difference if it is 'Vanilla Extract' or 'Vanilla Essence?'

جوري
10-29-2012, 01:03 AM
extract is usually done by a distillation method so for sure alcohol is involved hence I said it is a misnomer but there are many so called 'extracts' that are alcohol free.. but essence usually means a highly concentrated form of it.. you know how with chocolate it comes with percentages although that itself isn't what it seems as I have learned watching the Alton Brown show on chocolate lols..

anyhow you can buy any of these or equivalent:

OR

actual beans really are best but don't have a long shelf life

OR

I have tried them all and I like the last one the most because it combines flavor and long shelf life.
but you may have a different preference..

_Y168
10-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Jazaakillahu Khayran fid Daarayn! ;) I'm actually asking on behalf of someone, so I will pass the messages on. إن شاء الله.

You have a lot of knowledge sis! ما شاء الله!

جوري
10-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Jazaki Allah khyran sis you humble me with undeserved compliments..
we're so accustomed as Muslims reading everything so when we go to so-called Muslim countries we take for granted that some sort of person is responsible for food and imports will take care of that on our behalf, but you'd be surprised how many products have all sorts of crap from alcohol to pigs in them.. I am unfortunately very paranoid about eating out and buying things which makes me a thorn on everyone side, really you'd be surprised how many people in my family were sick of me when I went for just a ten day holiday- I can't stand their carelessness and they can't stand my militant style demanding every detail be sorted. So as a result they end up getting cheese from animal rennet and that animal is for sure pigs especially when it is imported from Holland or Europe in general or of course all their flavorings in the massive sweets they buy have god knows what in them not to mention how fattening they're (people gain weight in Ramadan) for the love of God but I digress.. I have seen grown men cry during tarweeh not because they were so touched by prayer but because they were so rotund they couldn't stand literally couldn't stand on their feet during the entire course of prayer.
Kaffirs have no reason to respect or honor our wishes, they just want to make money so why do we let them by buying things as if there's no alternative? and the bigger question is what have we done to ourselves with the laxity in every detail? many minor sins add up and ignorance isn't an excuse.
We should demand absolute halalness and absolute clean in our products and absolute perfection in mind and body (I write this as I munch on a 250 calorie chocolate bar that I don't need :p.)

_Y168
10-29-2012, 08:14 AM
اٰمين! و إيّاكِ. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!