/* */

PDA

View Full Version : english speakers more prominent with the youth

slaveofAllah88
12-05-2012, 05:25 AM
:sl:

InshAllah aap sab khariyat se hain

i have been noticing subhanAllah that among the youth, there are very few who know about any good urdu scholars, and mashAllah english scholars are more widely being listened to, which is awesom koi galat nhn lakin what do you think is the reason? do our urdu scholars focus too much on bashing each other rather than on topic ya koi aur waja hai?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
12-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Not really. Let me indulge in the folly that I am a youth. I LOVE listening to Urdu speakers. Dr. Israr Ahmed, Maulana Tariq Jameel etc. Dude, English speakers sound run of the mill stuff, barring exceptions like Abdul Hakim Muraad or Nauman Ali khan or few good ones.

In 21st century, proper Urdu still retains its charm.

Periwinkle18
12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Shuja uncle dr isrars student he's amazing!! I think his full name is shujauddin shiekh there r good Urdu scholars but the thing is tht my Urdu isn't tht good which is y sometimes I don't understand n I prefer listening to English scholars.

Abi bhe kuch Urdu scholars bohot achay hain waisay i guess one should focus on wht the person is trying to say .

ardianto
12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
but the thing is tht my Urdu isn't tht good
Aren't you living in Pakistan, sis?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Periwinkle18
12-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Yes i am

ardianto
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes i am
Then what language do you, and people around you, speak in daily life?.

Sis, if you were living in UK or US, I understand if your Urdu is not good, but you are living in Pakistan, and from what I know, Urdu is Pakistan's national language, although English is spoken in daily life there.

Or maybe you and other Pakistani people prefer English as daily language?

Periwinkle18
12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Well I wasn't born here n I learnt proper Urdu Wen I was in 9th grade cuz I had to give the o levels paper. It's not tht I can't speak I do speak Buh me n my siblings converse in English so we're kinda used to it.

Buh IM learning Alhumdulilah will b giving an Urdu paper soon . I don't hate it I actually think it's amazing.

Buh Wen in comes to listening to lectures I like listening to them in English imam Anwar is my fav

ardianto
12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Well I wasn't born here n I learnt proper Urdu Wen I was in 9th grade cuz I had to give the o levels paper. It's not tht I can't speak I do speak Buh me n my siblings converse in English so we're kinda used to it.

Buh IM learning Alhumdulilah will b giving an Urdu paper soon . I don't hate it I actually think it's amazing.

Buh Wen in comes to listening to lectures I like listening to them in English imam Anwar is my fav
Okay, okay, I understand. :)

Not different than some Indonesians who speak other languages better than when they speak Indonesian because they were born in other countries and back to Indonesia after they were old enough.

Pure Purple
12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by slaveofAllah88
do our urdu scholars focus too much on bashing each other
Why do you think this??
rather than on topic ya koi aur waja hai?
Reason is simple English is a global language and urdu is known only in south asian countries.Most of the people listen urdu scholars only.

Haya emaan
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM

InshAllah aap sab khariyat se hain

i have been noticing subhanAllah that among the youth, there are very few who know about any good urdu scholars, and mashAllah english scholars are more widely being listened to, which is awesom koi galat nhn lakin what do you think is the reason? do our urdu scholars focus too much on bashing each other rather than on topic ya koi aur waja hai?
walaikum assalam..

if i was to mention my observation i would say there are very few around me who listen to english scholars. actually it depends on what type of society you live in. like in Pakistan common people usually listen to Urdu scholars because it is easier for them to understand. but those who are abroad mainly in west usually prefer english one's..

جوري
12-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Arabic speakers are the most prominent of all but I agree about Dr. Israr Ahmad whom I was introduced to his work of late is brilliant. Be that as it may it is necessary to have speakers to address Muslims in all languages.. we can't deny the necessity of bridging the gap to reach as many as it is our duty to clarify and give da3wah!

:w:

Haya emaan
12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Then what language do you, and people around you, speak in daily life?.

Sis, if you were living in UK or US, I understand if your Urdu is not good, but you are living in Pakistan, and from what I know, Urdu is Pakistan's national language, although English is spoken in daily life there.

Or maybe you and other Pakistani people prefer English as daily language?
urdu is pakistan's national language but you will find here people who think speaking English may present them as more literate, mannered, respectful and so they prefer english as daily language.. more over our dominant medium of education here is also english. this is why our educated class is more 'fluent' in English than Urdu..

Hulk
12-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't speak urdu(I am not pakistani) but I've no doubt that the urdu speaking scholars have much to offer the students of knowledge. If you look at cultures that have been "Islamised" over a period of time you will find that there is a shift in worldviews, most apparent if you look at their language. The most "Islamised" culture of course would be that of the arabs. A culture's worldview is reflected in their language which is why when Islam comes to a culture you would either find some "Islamic" words added to the language of that particular culture as these words might have never existed to them before.

What has happened in our "modern" society is that just about everyone has been "westernised". English has become the language many think in, and with that comes the western worldview as well. You'll find that a lot of times the young ones who are new to studying their religion will often look to the english speakers as they are more comfortable with them. At a certain point they will remember that they belong to an Islamised culture and that's when they would look at their own Ulema.

So there is a blessing to belong to a culture that has been Islamised as you get more sources to learn from. Alhamdulillah we have some english speakers who learn from traditional teachers and try to impart what they learn to an english speaking audience.

CosmicPathos
12-06-2012, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haya emaan
urdu is pakistan's national language but you will find here people who think speaking English may present them as more literate, mannered, respectful and so they prefer english as daily language.. more over our dominant medium of education here is also english. this is why our educated class is more 'fluent' in English than Urdu..
Yup, I was about to say that. I literally laugh when I meet ppl from back home who think like that. I tell them "look, I can speak more languages than you can, while you are stuck with the layman's ol English! Just cuz you are good in English, we dont think you are cool!"

ardianto
12-06-2012, 02:59 AM
like in Pakistan common people usually listen to Urdu scholars because it is easier for them to understand.
I understand what people write in English, but I often misunderstood when I heard what people said in English. Many English words sound similar in my ear.

However, if I prefer to listen Indonesian speaking scholar, it's not because this weakness. Indonesian speaking scholars are living in my place, they know life and situation here. It makes their lectures related to my daily life. This is why I prefer to listen to them than listen to English speaking scholars who live in other places.

Now about those Urdu speaking scholars. I guess, those scholars live in Pakistan. And it makes common Pakistani people feel close to them.

Pure Purple
12-06-2012, 07:21 AM
I agree 100 % with you.
Most of the people think urdu medium schools only for poor people,who can't afford fees of english medium schools,as all the urdu medium schools are either government aided or run by islamic trust.When I was in the school ,we don't had any fees(for all students) all you need to do fill an enrollment form ,also books are provided by government (only for poor students).Most of my class mates were poor but there were girls who were from rich families or middle class families too.

slaveofAllah88
12-09-2012, 12:40 AM
aslam o alaikum wr wb

mashAllah im so impressed by so many great answers Alhumdulilah its ajeeb kinda wierd, i feel more at ease listening to english lec, but it could be due to being raised in the west although im really good at urdu, but never listen to it but still one thing doesn't make sense, majority of the youth in pakistan doesn't connect well with our scholars like wats missing?

Periwinkle18
12-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Well cuz Paki youth is busy partying they don't want to listen to u if ur talking abt deen they wanna enjoy don't they ? They're like two groups here the completely out n the ones who claim tht they're religious (Everyones not the same we hav amazing ppl in them) wht makes me mad is tht ppl don't understand Duno y they're just so lost. May Allah guide us all.

There's no connection b/w the scholars cuz the youth just doesn't want to listen cuz deep down they knw it's right n if they listen they'll hav to follow it. Allah knows best.

slaveofAllah88
12-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Well cuz Paki youth is busy partying they don't want to listen to u if ur talking abt deen they wanna enjoy don't they ? They're like two groups here the completely out n the ones who claim tht they're religious (Everyones not the same we hav amazing ppl in them) wht makes me mad is tht ppl don't understand Duno y they're just so lost. May Allah guide us all.

There's no connection b/w the scholars cuz the youth just doesn't want to listen cuz deep down they knw it's right n if they listen they'll hav to follow it. Allah knows best.

well what you said is possibility true, but that doesn't go for everyone mashAllah there are very good people in pak who follow islam to the part like no partying no haram, salah, sawn, zakah etc, but seriously they still like listen to no scholars, there has to be a reason why there is such a huge gap. In the upcoming generations you dont see that like you see in the west youth are eager to go to lectures, ( not all but there is Alhumdulilah good amount) and people have if not listened atleast heard of scholars.

MashAllah, idk why whats the reason is it cause people have it in their head we are muslim living in the muslim country salah roza meh thats all we need, and when u come to west u need to explain ur believes so you are kinda forced to look into it ?

Wallahu alam , and mashAllah sis u r from pak and u wud understand the situation like im not joking even the youth you find for salah in masjid they have no like shoq for deeper understanding of islam like even just to read quran from qari we are beaten down maybe cause everything is done by forced without creating any interest from the parents??

Periwinkle18
12-09-2012, 04:47 AM
I dunno Akhi it's been like this ever since we shifted to pak I remember we used to ask mum where's the Islam u used to talk abt . Everything has changed so much Buh ur right there r some really good ppl here too.

Ppl just think tht if we study abt Islam we'll hav to leave things they say it's really hard ,won't b fun anymore u can't do stuff etc.

CosmicPathos
12-09-2012, 05:04 AM
ppl in pakistan will learn about Islam once twilight saga series is over.

Periwinkle18
12-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Haha good one isn't it over already? Sick n tired of ppl talking abt it.

CosmicPathos
12-09-2012, 05:09 AM
I guess they have some other crap to latch onto these days. :p

slaveofAllah88
12-09-2012, 05:14 AM

la ilaha illAllah

i was so well hurt last night actually, this brother i met on fb and he was excited about taking a course with this beautiful sheikh whom i love and i found out this guy is from Pakistan i was SubhanAllah so happy, and so eager to talk to him, so glad and then he asked me like koi gf nhn hai kya SubhanAllah i was so hurt honestly , we had a small conversation after that ill refrain from sharing but idk why i felt so hurt i kept thinking about it last night even when i woke up in the morning that gf is considered like NO big deal and its normal ... and aparently if a guy doesn't have it he is messed up ...

Periwinkle18
12-09-2012, 05:16 AM
It's just kinda weird I Duno how to explain ppl just do wht they feel like dng they'll follow who they feel is not harsh n allows every thing. Ppl kinda pick n choose follow wht they want to n level the things they feel is hard.

It's sad parents hav no idea wht they're kids r dng they're just so busy in their lives n I guess parents r the ones who can teach their kids proper Islam the prob is they don't study it themselves :s guess thts the reason y the youth isn't interested they hav tons of things to distract them.

Periwinkle18
12-09-2012, 05:21 AM

la ilaha illAllah

i was so well hurt last night actually, this brother i met on fb and he was excited about taking a course with this beautiful sheikh whom i love and i found out this guy is from Pakistan i was SubhanAllah so happy, and so eager to talk to him, so glad and then he asked me like koi gf nhn hai kya SubhanAllah i was so hurt honestly , we had a small conversation after that ill refrain from sharing but idk why i felt so hurt i kept thinking about it last night even when i woke up in the morning that gf is considered like NO big deal and its normal ... and aparently if a guy doesn't have it he is messed up ...
Akhi paki land has changed so much just make dua for ur bros n sisters Duno whts gng to happen. Sometimes it feels weird to go out even if ur all covered up ppl state at u in.such a way :s thts y I dun like gng out much now. May Allah forgive us n guide us all.

alot of things happen here late nite dance parties, sheesha drinking etc just cuz it's all hidden doesn't mean.ppl don't know n I know how u feel.it Srsly does hurt.

slaveofAllah88
12-09-2012, 05:23 AM
It's just kinda weird I Duno how to explain ppl just do wht they feel like dng they'll follow who they feel is not harsh n allows every thing. Ppl kinda pick n choose follow wht they want to n level the things they feel is hard.

It's sad parents hav no idea wht they're kids r dng they're just so busy in their lives n I guess parents r the ones who can teach their kids proper Islam the prob is they don't study it themselves :s guess thts the reason y the youth isn't interested they hav tons of things to distract them.

yea ... but to be honest i feel like parents know somewhat like they cant be so delusional. Well look at all the girls and guys being friend in pakistan, many parents dont think its a big deal now and all the co- ed universities and on top of all look at the marriages happening based on so called ' love ' So something is promoting the fact ... idk if its the environment of me but whenever i visit pak i go soooo far away from deen iman mostly hits rock bottom, honestly i feel like my heart died or something

Muhammad
12-09-2012, 03:36 PM
:salamext:

I'm going to close this thread as we seem to have left the original topic, and I'm not sure where it's headed now.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!