/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Westerner who wants to learn about Islam

johnyork
12-17-2012, 04:47 AM
Hi everyone, I just joined this forum. I am not a Muslim, but would like to learn about it and want to continue to visit Masjids.

I will just go ahead and ask my first question in this thread to get started. Are there any repercussions to entering a Masjid (clean without shoes on and wearing a Taqiyah and performing wudu prior to entering the Musalla) and performing salah as a non-Muslim?

Important to note, I would not make reference to any other god. I would enter the Masjid with the thought that there is only One God.

My concern is that if ever questioned (which I honestly doubt that I would be), but just in case. If I was ever questioned and I said, "no, I am not a Muslim". Would there be any repercussions? For example, being banned from the Masjid or being told to leave, etc..

I would like this post to be strictly about the repercussions (if any) and not about why I won't become a Muslim. I do respect Islam and would be happy to frequent a Masjid and pray when I want to. The reason I am asking this question is because I do respect that it is a holy place and I don't want to do anything that could be conceived as disrespectful.

And for more details, the question is not whether or not I can enter. I am fully aware I can enter. Anyone can enter. The Qu'ran talks about other faiths entering the Masjid. The question is can I perform salah. This gets kind of complicated because some think that simply performing salah in itself is a declaration that I am Muslim. I feel to be Muslim, I would need to keep the 5 pillars, which I do not. I pray when I want to pray and I go to the Masjid whenever I decide to. I rather be honest about it and just tell the truth and truth is I am not a Muslim. I would not want to say I am a Muslim and then a Muslim from that Masjid sees me coming out of a Hindu temple and then there be some backlash, etc..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
johnyork
12-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Qur'an

Muslim Woman
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Salaam/ Peace

I have read some convert stories where they described they visited mosque and performed Salah as non Muslims - just to know how it feels like .

U may contact the Imam or any official before the prayer time . Tell them u want to visit mosque and take part in prayer as a non Muslim . I hope , they will arrage it for u .

May God Almighty show u the Truth.

johnyork
12-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Muslim Woman, good answer. If the Imam okays it, then I won't have to worry so much about the individuals who object.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muwaahid
12-17-2012, 04:06 PM
I do not believe this is permissible, meaning allowing a disbeliever to join the ranks of the muslims in salaah. When the muslims line up for salaah we are to be joined as a united front, shoulder to shoulder blade foot to blade foot worshipping Allah in a united way and not to be joined by those who disbelieve in Allah. The mere act of a non-muslim "pretending to worship Allah" eventhough his act of worship is being rejected by the way and there is no wudoo that can purify a disbeliever. His so called "salaah" is like that of a munaafiq and a munaafiq is"SOMEONE WHO OUTWARDLY EXPRESSES ISLAAM BUT INWARDLY DISBELIEVES IN ISLAAM" This despicable act of nifaaq is so worse in the sight of Allah that the munaafiq will be in the lowest part of the hellfire where the punishment will be increased manifold. If the non muslim desires to enter the masjid to learn about islaam he should seek permission and he is not to join the ranks of the muslims in salah. If he wants to pray he should first take his shahadah and he should know what he is bearing witness to in the shahadah. He should know the conditions of the shahadah and that which negates it so that he or she can protect themselves from nullifying their shahadah. John I advise you personally to learn about Allah, learn about Tawheed, learn about its meaning and what nullifies it. As for repercussions then that depends on the temperment of the people, you may find some merciful while others may physically hurt you, do not try to decieve the muslims.

Signor
12-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Hey Mr.John,how its going?

I feel glad to hear your Interest in Islam despite being the evil agenda and propaganda being thrown out all over the world relating to Islam and Muslims.Certainly there is no better place than mosque to acquire true information about Islam,Imam do hold a lower level of authority when it comes to problems relating shariah,aqeedah or fiqh etc(doesn't need to be a full qualified man in all matters but many do know the basics).I appreciate you want to go to Masjid and pray Salaat or read Quraan but One thing I want to tell you is you won't get the real spirit of offering Salaat unless you become a Muslim.As Muslims,we consider Salaat as the difference between a Muslim and a Non-Muslim,its not anything like Yoga or Meditation where mere concentration of coming and goings of breath gives you peace and calmness of mind or sitting in a certain position will do the job rather its meeting with Allah reminding us there is One and Only One Allah,the Lord of All worlds who is to be worshiped day and night.It demands that those who say prayers should adopt the same ethical values in religion and their daily lives.I hope this gives you a better view of whole picture.May Allah guides you on the road to your holy/eternal quest,Aameen

Regards

johnyork
12-18-2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks Muwaahid and SaneFellow. To Muwaahid, I especially thank you for your truthfulness. A non-Muslim completing salah in the wrong Masjid among individuals with the wrong temperament can definitely have unwelcome results. It may be perceived as me making a mockery of the Masjid or of Islam and I don't want that. That was the purpose of my question. To find out and now I have my answer.

I don't regret learning about Islam though and I do want to be at peace with people of all faiths. I will still join them for Iftar (إفطار‎) though.

greenhill
05-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Johnyork, peace to you.

Interesting situation you pose! Ask this and you will get differing points of view.

Perhaps you could join the congregation at the back and not be in the front or middle somewhere so as not to disrupt anything (on the question of partaking in communal prayers).

It seems like you already know the ethiquette of the masjid so there is no need to highlight that again. It is your quest, and as far as I am concern, if you do not overstep the boundaries and show disrespect, there should not be any backlashes.

You said that you feel to be a muslim you need to keep the 5 pillars. This is indeed true but seriously how many muslims truly keep the 5 pillars? I know many who do not fast during Ramadhan, never performed the Hajj even though they are healthy and wealthy, pray or give alms. Some only believe that Allah is God and Muhammad (pbuh) is His messenger and still call themselves muslims. But then again, who am I to judge them?

So what is it that holds you back? The fact that you you want the choice of praying when you want to as opposed to having to pray at pre ordained times?

When I broke down the 5 pillars (for my own benefit as to what is keeping from performing it) I realise that-

(in no particular order)
The Shahada is a pledge said once and is for a life time ( I ticked doable)
Performing of the Hajj if able once in the life time ( again, ticked doable) though not yet done but been for umrah
Paying of alms, yearly ( also ticked doable)
Fasting in the month of Ramadhan, a whole month, once a year (still I ticked doable)
Finally, 5 prayers a day, everyday, now there's where the real commitment comes in... It is not impossible but doable?

So the only thing that is required everyday from us from the 5 pillars is solah. I grappled with this for sometime. Years later I finally ticked that too! Many years has since passed, so no it is not impossible for me, and may Allah be please with my efforts..

Just curious to know your story.. :statisfie

Ahmad H
05-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I don't see how anything could be wrong with you wanting to go and join Muslims in prayer. It would be great for you. When you are trying to learn about Islam, then trying to experience it is best. I haven't read any Fatwas that say it is wrong for a non-Muslim to pray behind an Imam with other Muslims.

It is true that only Muslims should be in rows with each other, but you can follow behind the group instead. That way you haven't interfered with the rows of the Muslims.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!