/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Muslim greeting Muslims with As-salamu alaykum (السلام عليكم)

johnyork
12-18-2012, 04:06 AM
When I encounter Muslims in public, I sometimes greet them with As-salamu alaykum (السلام عليكم). Almost 100% of the time, I get a positive reply back. Worse case is a kind of grunt (like to say oh okay) and then silence. However, most the time, they smile back or say something nice back.

So the questions are...

Is it okay to say As-salamu alaykum to them? (or could it be perceived as me making fun of them in some way?)

Is it okay for me to say this to a Muslim woman? (or is it not appropriate for me, as a single man, to speak with a Muslim woman in public?)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Salaam/ Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by johnyork
...Is it okay to say As-salamu alaykum to them? (or could it be perceived as me making fun of them in some way?)

If u greet them sincerely , they must not take it as u are making fun of them .

“When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally”
[al-Nisa’ 4:86]

Is it okay for me to say this to a Muslim woman? (or is it not appropriate for me, as a single man, to speak with a Muslim woman in public?)
to avoid the temptation from devil , it's better not to talk to opposite gender unnecessarily.

johnyork
12-19-2012, 03:03 AM
Good answers, Muslim woman.

Futuwwa
12-19-2012, 10:41 PM
If someone would greet me with salaams, I'd presume the other person is a Muslim and answer in kind.

Unless I know it's a Christian, in which case I usually go with pax vobiscum ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
12-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Peace with you, anyone who is my fellow human.

johnyork
12-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Okay, so unless I receive a reply telling me otherwise. I think, for the most part, as long as I am sincere (which I am), then there should be no harm in saying As-salamu alaykum (السلام عليكم).

trainman
12-27-2012, 04:32 AM
:sl:
So long if the meaning doesn't alter, it's good for you to reply it because it is a pray for peace actually. :)

Jubbahman
02-04-2013, 07:37 PM
It's no problem. really. I enjoy it when someon says salam to me. But, a hint of advice, don't say "Sam alaikum" (Death be on you) by mistake :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!