/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims in non-Muslim countries don't have opportunities for learning of Islam

Idniche
12-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Our Muslim bretherns living in non-Muslim countries face lot of hardship to learn the fundamental of Islam with their true spirits in groups. They face graver problems when their kids grow up and remain quite stranger in Islamic way of life. For this purpose they must be given Islamic environment which is rare in such countries.
However, Muslims of Lond are lucky that there are three weekend Islamic schools where they can send there kids for Islamic learning. One of these schools is in Ilford, other one is in Lewisham and third one is in Harrow under the banner of Ideal Muslim, UK. Now its up to my Muslim bretherns in London that how much advantage they take from these schools to improve there life and hereafter. Jazak Allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MartyrX
12-21-2012, 09:58 PM
I agree to a point. I struggle everyday as a Muslim in a secular country. I like it though. I like the variety and freedom that we have. I also look at it as a test. We are being tested and we have to strive through it to be better Muslims.

truthseeker63
12-21-2012, 10:13 PM
This is true.

Perseveranze
12-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

The same can be said for Muslims in Muslim countries. Of course, it's getting better in nations like Egypt.... but Turkey and the likes, it's still the same.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iqra101
12-27-2012, 10:16 PM
If you are given a good opportunity to have your children be taught in an Islamic Institute then go for it, as it will probably be better off then the Western schools they would end up being at otherwise. I have no Islamic Institute near by so I educate my children mostly online through readquranonline.net .They are very friendly and teach the children about Islam in ways they can follow and remember. :statisfie :sunny:

Iftikhar
03-17-2013, 05:57 PM
A civilisation is measured not by the rights it grants its majority but the privileges it allows its minorities. Muslim community not only needs Mosques but also state funded Muslim schools for their bilingual children. They need to learn and be well versed in standard English to follow the national Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. They also need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural heritage and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. A Muslim is a citizen of this tiny global village. He/she does not want to become notoriously monolingual Brit.

Muslim migrants are living in a society which is institutionally racist. Brits must learn to respect and tolerate those who are different.Children should be taught about living religions so that they could learn to respect and tolerate those who are in their schools or who live near their own homes. British schooling is the home of institutional racism and British teachers are chicken racist. This is one of the main reason why Muslim parents would like to send their children to Muslim schools. I set up the first Muslim school in 1981 in Stratford, London in 1981 and now there are 188 Muslim schools and only 12 are state funded. I would like to see each and every Muslim child in a state funded Muslim school. I hope my dream would come true one day.

Muslim families are as entitled as any other religious group to schools that nurture their children's faith. Muslim pupils should be educated in Muslim schools because the current system is marginalising them. Teaching Muslim children in a Muslim school would remove the "problem of them being exposed" to values that conflict with Islamic faith. Muslim pupils are disadvantaged and marginalised in the city's state schools because the cultural heritage of the curriculum is "European and Christian".

Muslim schooling is on the rise in the West. Anti-Muslim attitudes in state schools contribute to its growth. there are 240 to 250 private Islamic schools in the U.S and 188 Muslim schools in the United Kingdom and out of that 12 are state funded. The increasing enrolment in these schools reflects the religion’s growing number of Muslims and the desire of parents to shelter young Muslims from discrimination and discomfort they might encounter at state schools. But Islamic schools, like mosques and other Islamic institutions, can be viewed with distrust and even hostility. Jewish Schools in Israel teach Children about Evolution. They has a curious way of teaching it. They said the Jews were made by god and the Palestinians evolved from apes. On the other hand, Muslim schools teach children that human beings are from Adam and Eve(peace be upon them)

It’s very important … for Muslim kids to be able to go to a school that affirms who they are and allows the creative space to be comfortable being Muslim. In an Islamic school they have a feeling of pride … minus some of the other things they might encounter. The Islamic School League of America (ISLA), a non-profit that connects Muslim educators and institutions, estimates that 40,000 students are enrolled in Islamic schools in the United States, a 25 percent increase from 2006. Those numbers are expected to keep growing as new schools open and existing schools expand.
There are plenty of challenges to start-up schools, not least of which is persuading potential students and their parents that the school is academically up to snuff. If you’re dealing with immigrants, you’re dealing with post-colonial attitudes, in many of their countries of origin, The way to move upward was through Western schools. … (In the past) they saw Islamic schools as not where they should put their students if they want their kids to end up in Harvard or in Oxford. Bilingual Muslims children have a right, as much as any other faith group, to be taught their culture, languages.

zakirs
03-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Salam,

^Iftikar bro, but wouldn't Muslims school be just what a Catholic school is for us? The idea should be for students of all sections and societies to study together. I am just wondering if people from other sections would be comfortable to send their kids to a muslim school just as any of us would not be totally comfirtable to send our kids to a catholic school. Which is where the point of state funding become controversial.

I am sorry I am not very qualified to speak about UK as I am not from the UK but I gave my views from my experience.

Iftikhar
03-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Bilingual Muslim children need to learn and be well versed in standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. At the same time they need to learn Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural heritage and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.

A Muslim is a citizen of this tiny global village. he/she does not want to become notoriously monolingual Brits. British schooling has been forcing them to become notoriously monolingual Brits. It is a fact that British schooling is the home of institutional racism and British teachers are chicken racist. It is a crime against humanity to deprive a child form his/her mother tongue. Arabic is a religious language and all Muslims must learn and be well versed in Arabic to recite and understand the Holy Quran.Ed is very proud of his comprehensive school because students were speaking 60 languages. After leaving school, all those who spoke different languages, could only speak English because there is no arrangement for them to learn their own languages at school. Even teachers discouraged them to speak their language in school. British schooling regards bilingualism as a problem and not an asset. Sadiq was the product of British schooling. He is very proud that he is unable to speak, read and write Urdu language. I do not blame him. It is the fault of the school.

Legally, the state has an obligation to respect the rights of parents to ensure that 'education and teaching(of their children) is in conformity with their own religious and philosophical convictions.'
The schools must satisfy the spiritual, moral, social,and cultural needs of Muslim pupils. State schools with non-Muslim monolingual teachers are not in a position to satisfy their needs and demands. Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental period' otherwise, they would be lost in the Western JUNGLE.There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school. At higher level of education, a Muslim teacher is not a priority.

There are hundreds of state and church schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be opted out as Muslim Academies.

Gray
07-21-2013, 02:34 AM
The state should stay out of all religions in general. State funded education should leave the door open only to the individual.

ardianto
07-22-2013, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iftikhar
Bilingual Muslim children need to learn and be well versed in standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. At the same time they need to learn Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural heritage and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.

A Muslim is a citizen of this tiny global village. he/she does not want to become notoriously monolingual Brits. British schooling has been forcing them to become notoriously monolingual Brits. It is a fact that British schooling is the home of institutional racism and British teachers are chicken racist. It is a crime against humanity to deprive a child form his/her mother tongue. Arabic is a religious language and all Muslims must learn and be well versed in Arabic to recite and understand the Holy Quran.Ed is very proud of his comprehensive school because students were speaking 60 languages. After leaving school, all those who spoke different languages, could only speak English because there is no arrangement for them to learn their own languages at school. Even teachers discouraged them to speak their language in school. British schooling regards bilingualism as a problem and not an asset. Sadiq was the product of British schooling. He is very proud that he is unable to speak, read and write Urdu language. I do not blame him. It is the fault of the school.

Legally, the state has an obligation to respect the rights of parents to ensure that 'education and teaching(of their children) is in conformity with their own religious and philosophical convictions.'
The schools must satisfy the spiritual, moral, social,and cultural needs of Muslim pupils. State schools with non-Muslim monolingual teachers are not in a position to satisfy their needs and demands. Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental period' otherwise, they would be lost in the Western JUNGLE.There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school. At higher level of education, a Muslim teacher is not a priority.

There are hundreds of state and church schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be opted out as Muslim Academies.
Arab and Chinese people in Indonesia don't have problem with Indonesian language that used in Indonesian schools. They can learn Arabic, Mandarin (or other Chinese language) through language courses. They do not regard themselves as Arab or Chinese, but Indonesian people that Arab or Chinese descent.

About Indian and Pakistani people in Indonesia. They can be devided into two groups, those who have been assimilated, and those who still be "international Desi". Those who have been assimilated speak Indonesian in daily life, and many of them married local people. While the "international Desi" speak English as their first language.

ardianto
07-22-2013, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gray
The state should stay out of all religions in general. State funded education should leave the door open only to the individual.
In Indonesia where atheism is against constitution, teaching religion is obligated in every school. The students learn religion according to their faith (*)

When I was in state high school majority of students were Muslims. They learned Islam through the school Islamic teachers. The smaller number were Christians. School didn't have Christianity teachers, but they invited teachers from Christian school to teach the Christian students. There were few Balinese Hindu too. Their number was too small. So they joined in other school only for Balinese Hindu subject and their scores transfered to the origin high school.

Scores in religious subject determine a student will going to the next grade or not.

(*) except in school which related to specific religion.

Gray
07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
In Indonesia where atheism is against constitution, teaching religion is obligated in every school. The students learn religion according to their faith (*)

When I was in state high school majority of students were Muslims. They learned Islam through the school Islamic teachers. The smaller number were Christians. School didn't have Christianity teachers, but they invited teachers from Christian school to teach the Christian students. There were few Balinese Hindu too. Their number was too small. So they joined in other school only for Balinese Hindu subject and their scores transfered to the origin high school.

Scores in religious subject determine a student will going to the next grade or not.

(*) except in school which related to specific religion.

That seems quite a bit like government overstretch

czgibson
07-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Greetings,

Iftikhar:

I wonder if I could ask you why it is that the texts in your posts appear, in jumbled form and with random paragraphing, all over the internet in various forums?

Are you aware that you have repeated yourself several times in the posts above?

As an education professional, surely you must see how presenting texts in this way dramatically undermines the credibility of the statements within them?

Peace

LauraS
07-24-2013, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iftikhar
A civilisation is measured not by the rights it grants its majority but the privileges it allows its minorities. Muslim community not only needs Mosques but also state funded Muslim schools for their bilingual children. They need to learn and be well versed in standard English to follow the national Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity. They also need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural heritage and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. A Muslim is a citizen of this tiny global village. He/she does not want to become notoriously monolingual Brit.

Muslim migrants are living in a society which is institutionally racist. Brits must learn to respect and tolerate those who are different.Children should be taught about living religions so that they could learn to respect and tolerate those who are in their schools or who live near their own homes. British schooling is the home of institutional racism and British teachers are chicken racist. This is one of the main reason why Muslim parents would like to send their children to Muslim schools. I set up the first Muslim school in 1981 in Stratford, London in 1981 and now there are 188 Muslim schools and only 12 are state funded. I would like to see each and every Muslim child in a state funded Muslim school. I hope my dream would come true one day.
As a British person I am tired as the country being referred to as racist and Islamophobic. For crying out loud of course there are some and at this time of heightened tension Islamophobic behaviour is making the press. However, I'd say on the whole we're an accepting country. There is a big problem with Muslims not integrating with the rest of society like other religious groups do like the Sikhs and Hindus. Muslims tend to keep themselves to themselves which appears to be what you are suggesting here- that Muslims should have their own schools. You think that Muslims should arrive in a non-Muslim country and to be entitled for the government to fund Muslim only schools? I'm unclear, so you only want weekend schools or full schooling in this way?

For you to suggest teachers are racist is ridiculous, you don't know the paperwork teachers have to go to if there has been the hint of a racist incident between kids. We learn about all religions in school. I went to a school that had children from all different religions, I can say for certain that the Muslim children in my year were not discriminated against. There was very little prejudice or racism in my school at all, if it did happen everyone would have come down hard on the person. It's ironic really that I remember one incident where Asian kids were calling white kids "milk bottles" (they were only joking) and nothing was done about it, but I can guarantee if a white child and made a joking comment in that vein to an Asian child it would have been a different story. Greta lengths are gone to not to offend non-white people- they even wanted to ban people saying blackboard! Which is just plain stupid.

You say British people need to tolerate Muslims and yet I see Muslims marching down the streets protesting about how British people are dressed and a group of young Muslim men in London were going around telling people they weren't allowed to drink. So maybe Muslims need to be more tolerant of the on-Muslim country in which THEY have decided to settle. I think it's beneficial for Muslim children to go to the same school and befriend non-Muslim children from infants school only through integrating can different groups learn to be tolerant of each other which is what has happened with the Asian and black communities. Of course Muslims will want their children to retain their heritage through night or weekend schooling but I don't necessarily think the government is obliged to pay for these.

aamirsaab
07-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Iftikhar hasn't logged on since March 25. I don't think you'll be getting a response from him any time soon....

LauraS
07-24-2013, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Iftikhar hasn't logged on since March 25. I don't think you'll be getting a response from him any time soon....
Oooh well, I've said what I wanted to. :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!