/* */

View Full Version : Verb Forms!

Bint-e-Adam
12-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Assalam o Alaikum!
I have covered all the Arabic grammar except Verbs.
now i have started verbs also.
i want to ask a thing about the ثلاثي مجرد.
in it there are six types.
1. dharaba - yadhribu
2. nasara - yansuru
3. fataha - yaftaha
4. alima - ya'lamu
5. hasiba - yahsibu
6. karuma - yakrumu

i want to ask a simple question about it.:cry:
if i have a verb of past for example : "كتب"
Then how can we know that it is from 1st form or second one? as both the 1st and 2nd has fatha on past forms i.e: dharaba and nasara.
please tell me. and clear me how can i distinguish any verb whther it is from 1st type or second type?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pure Purple
12-24-2012, 03:35 PM
My teacher has expalined about this,there is no way you can distinguish.It's a language,by reading and hearing arabic,you will automatically come to know..
For example past tense of go is went........not goed....You never asked why ?bcoz you are familiar with it...

Muwaahid
12-24-2012, 09:20 PM
as-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu...

As for the second form which is the mudhaaree form or present tense form then you will know it by the prefix of the harf "yaa" so as you mentioned Ka Ta Ba -Yak Tu Bu. In Fi'lun Mudhaaree the last harf is alw ays Dhammah. However from the examples you mentioned I'm sure you realized that from the Fi'lun Mawdhee the aynul harf [which is the middle harf of the Fi'l] can be either fathah or kesrah or dhammah. It depends on the verb and what the Arabs say the aynul harf is. Like the example you gave for hasiba yahsibu and that which is similiar to it. Like karuma yakrumu and that which is similiar to it. Usually in the dictionaries it will indicate what the present tense of the verb is. If you use the Hanz Wehr dictionionary the seond word after the past tense is the fi'lu mudhaaree with the aynul fil written clearly. And Allah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aalaa knows best wa Billahit-Tawfeeq.

Bint-e-Adam
12-25-2012, 07:32 AM
i am not asking the difference between mudhari and maadhi.
i am asking about the difference between two forms..
as i can distinguish that if a maadhi verb (ain kalma) has fat'ha and if it contains huroof al halqi, then it is clear that it is from baab: "Fataha Yaftahu". is there any other signs by which i can distinguish between two similar 1st and second baab.
as what for: "سرق" "عمل" "بصر"...etc
these all contains "fatha in Aiyn Kalima". how can we know what is from which baab.

as i will explain one thing more.
as fro the two Baab:
1. alima ya'lamu
2. hasiba yahsibu

i have imagined that if Ayn kalima contains "kasra" then it is from these two baabs. but from which of two.
i thought that if the maadhi verb (Faa kalima) contains "Haroof Illat" then it is from baab: hasiba yahsibu. as:
"ورث يرث" etc.
please i am only confused in the two first baab i.e. : "nasara yansuru" "dharaba yadhribu"
please tell me the sign for these also.
as i have explained above. JazakALlah khair. Walaikum Assalam. Illa Liqaa

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pure Purple
12-25-2012, 07:48 AM
نَصَرَ يَنْصُرُ
حَسِبَ يَحْسِبُ
فَتَحَ يفْتَح
I think you are asking about movement of damma kasra and shadda on ain kalma.
There is no logic to distinguish this as far as I know.

Muwaahid
12-25-2012, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeking_hidayat
i am not asking the difference between mudhari and maadhi.
i am asking about the difference between two forms..
as i can distinguish that if a maadhi verb (ain kalma) has fat'ha and if it contains huroof al halqi, then it is clear that it is from baab: "Fataha Yaftahu". is there any other signs by which i can distinguish between two similar 1st and second baab.
as what for: "سرق" "عمل" "بصر"...etc
these all contains "fatha in Aiyn Kalima". how can we know what is from which baab.

as i will explain one thing more.
as fro the two Baab:
1. alima ya'lamu
2. hasiba yahsibu

i have imagined that if Ayn kalima contains "kasra" then it is from these two baabs. but from which of two.
i thought that if the maadhi verb (Faa kalima) contains "Haroof Illat" then it is from baab: hasiba yahsibu. as:
"ورث يرث" etc.
please i am only confused in the two first baab i.e. : "nasara yansuru" "dharaba yadhribu"
please tell me the sign for these also.
as i have explained above. JazakALlah khair. Walaikum Assalam. Illa Liqaa
When the non-arabs are taught arabic usually the teacher introduces in each lesson new vocabulary and new verbs with their forms so when you learn based on a syllabus with no actual instructor to pronounce the words and answer your questions then a person will run into these issues. But no worries the dictionary will become your best friend. Just goto the dictionary and look up the word and pay close attention to the forms and what the aynul fi'l is and then you can build from there. I suggest you get a small pocket notebook and write down the new vocabulary and the different forms of the verb and recite them and review them everyday and once you learn them keep a little journal and write a few sentences utilizing them and review them everyweek and replace all the everyday words you use in urdu for its equivalent in arabic. I advise with this because you are in a non arab country and you may find difficult engaging others in arabic conversation. But most of all remain patient and continue with your efforts may Allah give you Tawfeeq in every endeavor. Allahumma Ameen

Amat Allah
12-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I wish I could understand the way you learn arabic in cause I really wana help but I understood not...alas!

Bint-e-Adam
12-25-2012, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muwaahid
When the non-arabs are taught arabic usually the teacher introduces in each lesson new vocabulary and new verbs with their forms so when you learn based on a syllabus with no actual instructor to pronounce the words and answer your questions then a person will run into these issues. But no worries the dictionary will become your best friend. Just goto the dictionary and look up the word and pay close attention to the forms and what the aynul fi'l is and then you can build from there. I suggest you get a small pocket notebook and write down the new vocabulary and the different forms of the verb and recite them and review them everyday and once you learn them keep a little journal and write a few sentences utilizing them and review them everyweek and replace all the everyday words you use in urdu for its equivalent in arabic. I advise with this because you are in a non arab country and you may find difficult engaging others in arabic conversation. But most of all remain patient and continue with your efforts may Allah give you Tawfeeq in every endeavor. Allahumma Ameen
In-shaa-Allah
Ameen.okay i will try Akhee.

Insaanah
12-25-2012, 05:23 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by seeking_hidayat
6. karuma - yakrumu
To honour is karama yakrumu, which is number 2. (Edit: Lanes Arabic English Lexicon does have karuma, so looks like it can be both ways, or each way may have a different meaning, apologies)

Other examples of number 6 would be:
qaruba yaqrubu (to approach or come near)
ba3uda yab3udu (to be far or distant)
kathura yakthuru (to be much, to increase or multiply)

Sister Pure Purple is correct.

As there is no rule to determine the group of a particular verb, the student should learn the group of each new verb he/she learns. All good dictionaries mention this. While expressing a verb, usually both the maadi and mudaari' are mentioned together. So for example, if you are asked the Arabic for 'to write', you say: kataba yaktubu.
Source: Key to Duroos al lughat al arabiyyah li ghayri naatiqeena bihaa (Madinah Arabic Course Book 3) by Dr V Abdur Rahim.

sameer123
12-27-2012, 04:03 PM
verbs are v important.

Muhaba
12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I think you learn this as you learn vocabulary. I don't think there are any rules you can follow. Books of Sarf have this formula that goes something like this:
فتح ضمٍ - فتح كسرٍ - فتحتان
ضم ضمٍ - كسر فتحٍ - كسرتان

(the first in each set is the past tense verb and the second in each set is the present tense verb. I guess you can know from this for example, if the past tense has a damma on second letter, then the damma remains a damma. If in the past tense, the second letter has a fathha, then in the present tense, the vowel could be a fathha or kasra or damma depending on the word. if in the past tense the second letter has a kasra, then in the present tense the vowel may be a kasra or fathha but not a damma.

I don't go by such rules and prefer to just learn the words. Am unsure if they are helpful or not.)

Bint-e-Adam
12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Shukran Akhtee
I was thinking about a specific rule. if there is not then i will learn and observe verbs in-shaa-Allah.
Do you know any tip through which i can improve my verbs vocabulary? and forms.

sameer123
12-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Tip: Read same lesson of your book again and again. And then if possible then use those verbs in your own sentences.

Bint-e-Adam
01-13-2013, 10:40 AM
it was too easy to study thalathi mujarrad.
but very hard to understand thalathi mazeed and its more forms . i am really tensed.

sameer123
01-13-2013, 11:37 AM
assalaamu alaikum.

As you know, a verb consisting of 3 radicals is called thulaathi verb e.g. سَلِمَ. And in order to modify the meaning we add one or more letters to the radicals and we call it mazeed verb e.g.
سَلَّمَ sallama 'he saved'. Here the second radical has been doubled.
سَالَمَ saalama 'he made peace'. Here an alif has been added after the first radical.
تَسَلَّمَ tasallama 'he received'. Here a taa' has been added before the first radical and the second radical has been doubled.
أَسْلَمَ aslama 'he became Muslim'. Here a hamzah has been added before the first radical.
اِسْتَسْلَمَ istaslama 'he surrendered'. Here three letters (hamzah, siin and taa') have been added before the first radical.

Download BOOK 2, DVD 16, PART A1 from the following link for complete answer and understanding. They are explained beautifully by a skilled teacher in the video:
www[dot]lqtoronto[dot]com/videodl.html

The video is also available on youtube for watching. Search the video in youtube by keywords: MAV_BK2_DVD16_PARTA1.avi

Bint-e-Adam
01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
but what is the reason of adding words in it?
what is the rule?
what are the proper guidelines :(
i m confused. and these things seems to me very complicated.
well i am downloading that video too. hope it would work for me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!