/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rule of "من"?

Bint-e-Adam
12-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Assalam o Alaikum!
A question ... ahem ahem . i think All of you here are feeling bored without my questions.so i came again :)
What is the rule of using a preposition: "من".
as for example:
i drink a lot of water.
it is often translated as:
أشرب كثيرا من الماء
why dont we translate it as:
أشرب ماء كثيرا

i have read a lot of examples like this. what is the rule of such a "MIN من" here?
please explain it to me.
i know the meaning of Min: from, of etc

But the specific rule of thsi type of usage?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Endymion
12-30-2012, 02:34 PM
:wa: sissi :)

Yup,you and your questions are dearly missed :) but i can't answer your question coz i hardly drink 3-4 glasses of water in winter days :hmm:

Bint-e-Adam
12-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Lol. it was the best answer :)
Shukran akhtee :p this is so sweet of you :)

QueenofHerts
12-30-2012, 03:37 PM
funny.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sameer123
12-30-2012, 05:00 PM
wa alaikum asalam
This is مِن التَّبْعِيضِيَّةُ (the partitive min). Here is some explanation from books which I have read:

KEY TO Durus al-lughat al-arabiyya li ghair al-natiqina biha, PART III
If you are offered something to eat with the instruction كُلْ هذا you eat the whole thing.But if the instruction is كُلْ مِن هذا you are to take only part of it.
In the same way we say: مِن الطُلَّاب مَن لا يَعْرِفُ الإنْكليزِيَّةَ 'Of the students are some who do not know English.'
This مِنْ is called مِن التَّبْعِيضِيَّةُ (the partitive min).

Here are some more examples:
أنتَ مِن أحْسَنِ الطلابِ 'You are one of the best students.' Compare this with أنتَ أحسَنُ الطلابِ 'You are the best student.'
و مِمَّا رَزَقْناهُمْ يُنْفِقُونَ 'And they spend part of what We have given them' (Qur'an, 2:3).
وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَقُولُ آمَنَّا بِاللَّـهِ وَبِالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَمَا هُم بِمُؤْمِنِينَ 'And of mankind are some who say, "we believe in Allah and the Last Day", but they are not believers' (Qur'an, 2:8)

BOTH THESE LIGHTS EMANATE FROM THE SAME NICHE by Dr. V. Abdur Rahim
مِن أحْدَثِ القومِ : This is مِن التَّـــبْـــعِـــيـــضِـــيَّـــةُ (partitive min) (See Durus al-lughat al-arabiyya, Book 3, Lesson 26). It means 'some' with uncountable nouns, and 'one' with countable nouns, e.g.:
خُذْ مِن هذا التَّمرِ Take some of these dates.
هو مِن أحْسَنِ المدرِّسينَ He is one of the best teachers.

Bint-e-Adam
12-31-2012, 01:05 PM
هذا مفيد جدا جدا:statisfie
شكرا كثيرا كثيرا:statisfie
قد تفرح في كل ميدان حياتك

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!