/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Victim Mentality

GuestFellow
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
:wa:

I have heard of some Jews who continue to use past suffering to justify their treatment of Palestinians. They view themselves as victims and constantly remind people of it. Will Muslims end up like this?

I noticed some Muslims who only notice the suffering of Muslims and ignore all other suffering. They behave as though only Muslims have gone through difficult times. In the future is it possible that some Muslims will use the past to justify their behaviour?

I think it's likely and I think someone will take advantage over it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-31-2012, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GuestFellow
some Jews who continue to use past suffering to justify their treatment of Palestinians.
Isn't that treatment misplaced? The premise is faulty and thus I can't draw the desired conclusion from it. The Jewish problem wasn't caused by Palestinians- yet somehow they're made to pay for it and not for 5 years but 60+ yrs.. we're already starting from an incongruent place .. Also it isn't the teachings of Islam to inflict injustice because one suffered injustice, so I am not sure where you are going with the question. Are you asking preemptively and now that Muslims are revolting for them not to seek justice against those who've caused much strife once they come into power?

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
12-31-2012, 04:42 PM
no because its a part of islamic belief to hold that when one follows the way of our beloved (sallallahi alaihi wasallaam) he will be onset by calamities like that of a gushing river without pause.

This is a cause for joy for the muslim as it is a glad tiding of imaan and a greater hereafter.

so whining about such a state is very unlikely, we'll make the most of it :)

GuestFellow
12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ
Isn't that treatment misplaced? The premise is faulty and thus I can't draw the desired conclusion from it. The Jewish problem wasn't caused by Palestinians- yet somehow they're made to pay for it and not for 5 years but 60+ yrs.. we're already starting from an incongruent place .. Also it isn't the teachings of Islam to inflict injustice because one suffered injustice, so I am not sure where you are going with the question. Are you asking preemptively not that Muslims are revolting not to seek justice against those who caused it once they come into power?

:w:
The Jews were mistreated by the Europeans. The mistreatment caused many Jews to believe that only their group has suffered and that the entire world is out there to get them. Here is where the victim mentality develops. The feeling everyone is against them caused many Jews to become paranoid, angry and sad. From their perspective, it does not matter who caused the suffering to begin with. They view everyone as potential threats. As a result, they turned to Zionism, despite being contrary to their religion and cultural beliefs. They went to Palestine and killed thousands of innocent civilians. Despite committing these awful acts, Jews used their past suffering to justify their present behaviour. I suspect someone took advantage of these Jews and manipulated them.

I can see the same thing happening with Muslims.

There are Muslims mistreated by Russians (Chechnya). The government in China has persecuted Muslims. In Europe, Muslims have been discriminated and mistreated. In Asia, there are many Muslim have been killed as a result of western interference. I can go on. At this moment of time Muslims in general have been mistreated severely. It's very unlikely Muslims will receive justice. From suffering you will get Muslims that feel angry, sad and even paranoid. They will start to feel everyone is against them and I have heard Muslims say this. Many Muslims that I have met have actually said the entire world is against them, especially those that have directly suffered. They are not aware that other groups have suffered.

It's likely under those circumstances, some Muslims will start to view everyone as potential threats and do whatever it takes to protect themselves. At this point it does not matter who actually caused the suffering. To believe some will adopt Islamic principles is naive. Many Muslims have committed horrible acts. For example, Pakistani Soldiers committed vile acts against Bangladeshi women. The Egyptian police committed horrible acts against prisoners. There are so many stories where large groups of Muslims committed terrible acts. They did not consider Islam whilst carrying out these acts.

Overall, it's possible that some Muslims will develop a victim mentality. They view the entire world is out there to get them, like good vs evil. Once this stage has been reached, they won't care about who caused the suffering, nor will they consider the teachings of Islam. Not only will they deal with those who caused the suffering, they will also take steps to deal with others who they perceive as being a threat. Of course, someone will have to take advantage of these Muslims in order for this to work.

I'm not saying Muslims sit there and let terrible things happen to them. It's acceptable to defend yourself.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
12-31-2012, 05:42 PM
i think that is just an excuse for bad behavior, for quieting the conscience. lots of people do it at individual level. how many people treat anotehr weaker person in the same they they were treated? it's really horrible and stems from belief problems, that is, lack of eman. Allah will question everyone aboout their deeds and one can't say "i did it to so and so because someone else did it to me."

GuestFellow
12-31-2012, 05:53 PM
^ :sl:

I like how you simplified everything. I had difficulty communicating my thoughts but you managed to do it in a a few sentences... XD

Muhaba
12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
^subhan-Allah. as one writer wrote: what i think isn't a good piece of writin, everyone loves. self-doubt sometimes keeps us from writing/sharing the good stuff. Jazak-Allaho khairn for the compliments

glo
12-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Interesting topic!

I think victim mentality is a very interesting phenomenon. It occurs in all sorts of areas and all kind of groups. It causes us to feel sorry for ourselves and look to point the finger of blame at others, rather than look to our own behaviour.

Much better to think that we can control our own lives - even in the face of adversity - and that God will guide us and keep us according to His will.

Eric H
12-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Greetings and peace be with you GuestFellow;

Tragically it is so easy to become the very thing we hate and fear the most in others.

In the spirit of praying for the strength to forgive,

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!