/* */

PDA

View Full Version : University advice

unknown12
01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Salams everybody,

I will be starting university soon and just wanted some heads up, tips and advice. I will be studying a degree in Commerce inshallah, doing Accounting and Finance.

(yes I will be very selective of my friends :D)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
:wasalamex

This is a very important question brother. I hope the following articles will help Insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...s-sisters.html (Note that the UK equivalent of MSA (Muslim Students Association) is ISoc (Islamic Society)

http://www.islam21c.com/islamic-thou...e-wonder-years

May Allaah (swt) protect you and grant you success in your future, Aameen.

unknown12
01-07-2013, 04:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AngelPearl
Yeah please do make good friends~ friends you can keep for life~ Life gets really lonely after university and no one tells you that!

Stay well away from people who want to use you for work and want to steal your notes. Yeah it's nice letting them borrow them a few times....but not when they're the sort that miss lectures to party or go out and then end up getting marks than you!
Salams, exact advice given my brother. He had a bad experience with a certain group of 'muslim' friends who ended up being trashy, and basically used him for his work; now he emphasises to me most of the time dont get too close to people, keep a distance 'do your thing and go back home'.

I too hope I do get long term friends but I doubt that will happen as I'll just be doing first year uni and moving off to another university.

Iqra101
01-09-2013, 09:25 PM
The 2 courses I dreaded where both Accounting and Finance. My uni. didnt have the best of professors teaching these fields. As well as what Unknown 12 has said, there are those who show off to be sooo high in Islam but are actually the opposite. Dont be deceived by looks as they are the biggest deceptions around. readquranonline.net

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
01-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Avoid freemixing.
Avoid freemixing.
Avoid freemixing.

Seriously though, make sure you remember the purpose of why you're at uni and make sure you stay focused insha'allah.
When unsure of whatever has happened during a lecture and you feel too shy to ask in front of everyone else, quickly jot the notes down and ask the lecturer at the end of the session, it's very easy to get caught up in writing notes and forgetting the question you may want to ask.
Good luck!

Cabdullahi
01-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Should've joined a computing class...hardly any women in there..just some hungry dudes who, when they see a girl mistakenly walk in the class, scream and say 'hey don't leave us..come to the class..where are you going?..you don't do computing?...hey!'.

When it's exam time...study in seclusion for the first few days..perhaps weeks, and then meet up with your class mates and see if you know more than them..if you don't, extract all their information and go back into seclusion and study hard until you match their knowledge...

unknown12
01-10-2013, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqra101
The 2 courses I dreaded where both Accounting and Finance. My uni. didnt have the best of professors teaching these fields. As well as what Unknown 12 has said, there are those who show off to be sooo high in Islam but are actually the opposite. Dont be deceived by looks as they are the biggest deceptions around. readquranonline.net
Oh really? Yeah I've heard that Accounting and Finance is boring. However it was one of my top scoring subjects in year 12 :D.

Yeah probably because of the lecturers, I hope my lecturers are good, sure they will be..

Yep, if I do happen to make a 'suspicious' friend, I will try my best to get as far away as possible as I can lol. Even if that means changing my lecturer times...

unknown12
01-10-2013, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
Avoid freemixing.
Avoid freemixing.
Avoid freemixing.

Seriously though, make sure you remember the purpose of why you're at uni and make sure you stay focused insha'allah.
When unsure of whatever has happened during a lecture and you feel too shy to ask in front of everyone else, quickly jot the notes down and ask the lecturer at the end of the session, it's very easy to get caught up in writing notes and forgetting the question you may want to ask.
Good luck!
Hmm yeah sister, however as much as you want to avoid something, it finds you. Ofcourse I will try my best to abstain from freemixing, however from day 1 you will have to interact with the opposite gender e.g. introduce yourself. (from what I've heard, lecturer says ok now introduce yourself to your partner next door, and then bang, you've made a friend who may or may not be of the opposite gender. I'm hoping to keep such a friendship as professional as possible and even avoid contact outside of university/classes if I can (make up excuses like I gotta go home lol).

Ah yeah nice tip. I'm not one to ask questions smh, I'd rather bang my head against a wall for like 1 hour trying to figure something out, then ask for help... But yeah good tip thank you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!