/* */

View Full Version : Your first visit to mosque/masjid

Jslayton
01-06-2013, 09:57 PM
So how was your first visit ? mine was awesome, empowering :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
01-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Mine was shocking. I went with 3 other Muslim sisters who barely knew me. I contacted them through the MSA at the university and asked them for a tour of the mosque. They were all too happy to take me. At first I thought it was just going to be one girl, but two others came along with her to support me.

I was a Christian back then. I wasn't sure if they would kick me out because I wasn't wearing a hijab but I dressed as modestly as I could and went in anyway. I was surprised at what I saw. The beautiful Arabic writing. All of the smiles and warm greetings other people gave me. People reading Quran. Praying. A sister in niqab sitting quietly looking out at the sunset in deep thought. And oddly enough I felt at peace in a place that everyone around me insisted was bad, evil, backwards and the symbol of everything that was wrong in the world. But being there was like a shock to a dying heart.

I didn't want to leave.

Iceee
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Mine was shocking. I went with 3 other Muslim sisters who barely knew me. I contacted them through the MSA at the university and asked them for a tour of the mosque. They were all too happy to take me. At first I thought it was just going to be one girl, but two others came along with her to support me.

I was a Christian back then. I wasn't sure if they would kick me out because I wasn't wearing a hijab but I dressed as modestly as I could and went in anyway. I was surprised at what I saw. The beautiful Arabic writing. All of the smiles and warm greetings other people gave me. People reading Quran. Praying. A sister in niqab sitting quietly looking out at the sunset in deep thought. And oddly enough I felt at peace in a place that everyone around me insisted was bad, evil, backwards and the symbol of everything that was wrong in the world. But being there was like a shock to a dying heart.

I didn't want to leave.
Salaam.

That is beautiful.

I was born and raised in a area where 85% of the people around me were of the Islamic faith. Then a mosque was created 2 minute-walk away... I don't remember my first visit to the masjid because my Dad took me when I was 3-4 years old. But a lot of my school friends did attend madresa at the masjid and they came their for daily prayers with their parents, this made me want to go as well as I got a chance to talk to friends outside school time :)

The mosque was taken down, and a new one much more bigger was created in its place. I wish I could show pics or link it but I'm still new :(

Search Jame Abu Bakr Siddique Masjid Toronto Canada. That is the mosque which I call home.

Jslayton
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I felt very similar about not wanting to leave. The sisters were very welcoming, although they would sidetrack and begin conversing with one and another in urdu, they often apologized for getting carried away since i dont speak urdu. the brother that sat with me while saying shanada and the sisters made it seem so relaxing. although i think i butched alot of the words... the sisters all we so happy they gave me may hugs..they seemed so surpised that me a caucasian would revert.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Katurah
01-07-2013, 03:32 AM
I've never been, myself. imsad I have Multiple Sclerosis and I don't drive anymore so it makes things difficult to say the least. I THINK there may be one about 45 minutes to the south of me but I'm unsure. Maybe one day.....
I'm still learning Arabic on my own so maybe, if I ever get to go I'll be able to understand the prayers and such without much effort. :D

Scimitar
01-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Insha-Allah sister Katurah, Allah will make it easy for you to go to a masjid when HE deems the time is right for you. Put in the effort and Allah will create a path :)

And thank you for liking my posts sister,

Masha-Allah.

This is a cool thread :)

Bint-e-Adam
01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Lol. i was very lil when i go masjid with my father :)
it was really new for me. when i saw all of men together going in ruku and sajud.

lynn4now
01-13-2013, 07:29 PM
It was wonderous my first time and welcoming after i got over my freak out. I took pride that I was praying correctly that put me at ease and I agree it it quite captivating.

Qurratul Ayn
01-13-2013, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
This is a cool thread
I agree. Super cool

It's wonderful reading posts of the first time when attending the Masjid

My first time was with my family, I was about 4 or 5, it was awesome.

cottonrainbow
01-15-2013, 04:46 AM
Uhmmm... it was a bit strange. I went during Ramadan before reverting. It was strange for me to be around many women and children (the segregation) as I normally didn't prefer to be around females before revert. I left with a sense of peace.

Esther462
01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
My 1st visit to a mosque was in Turkey and I wasnt Muslim at the time. It was a small village mosque and I found it magical.
My 1st visit to a mosque as a Muslim was interesting as I drove past it at least 5 times before I found the mosque. It was the mosque in Bournemouth and its a converted building. I found it fascinating but nerve-racking at the same time but do find it peaceful too.

ardianto
01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
:sl:

The first masjid I've visited was Serang city grand masjid, for salah Juma'ah. It's happened when I was kid. I went there with my brother and my friends, we wore sarong and kopiah/songkok (Malay/Indonesian black cap). But I made a mistake in salah. My brother reported it to my mother and she scolded me.

A beautiful memory.

Jslayton
01-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Lol, I make lots of mistakes Im sure, but im still learning, and sisters have told me Allah will not look down on me as long as I continue to try to learn to try to do proper salat :) I know Al-Fathiah by memory now, So I am going to be moving on to trying to learn rukoo by memory (instead of having it all written on paper). :D

Esther462
01-24-2013, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jslayton
Lol, I make lots of mistakes Im sure, but im still learning, and sisters have told me Allah will not look down on me as long as I continue to try to learn to try to do proper salat :) I know Al-Fathiah by memory now, So I am going to be moving on to trying to learn rukoo by memory (instead of having it all written on paper). :D
I still makes mistakes in my prayers after over 3 years of knowing them in arabic. I still get Al-Fathiah wrong.

tearose
01-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Salamu 3laikum,

My first time was an organized visit/tour with my university class, shortly after I became interested in Islam. So it was a fascinating experience for me. We had a tour of the different areas of the masjid then we sat in the main prayer area and had a question and answer session. I found it really interesting, I had a real sense of peace there, and it was amazing to me to see so many people there in between prayer times, sitting talking, studying etc.

Hamida.gp
04-15-2013, 02:20 AM
I used to work as a nanny for an Indian-Pakistani family who were Muslim. In the third or fourth year working there, they said they were going to the masjid and told me I could leave for the night. I'd seen the mosque occasionally whenever I happened to drive past it and asked if I could join them. They were surprised but said sure. Of course, I had to borrow a long sleeve shirt and scarf from them since there was no time to go home and change. I remember riding with them trying to wrap the scarf without a mirror but I somehow got it to work. When we arrived, other members of their family saw me and they meantioned how well the hijab looked on me.
I went once more wih them before some circumstances changed things. I really enjoyed working for the family because I got an inside perspective of a Muslim family.
I went on a "Holy Land"cruise soon after I reverted and one of the destinations was Alexandria, Egypt. I thought, this is great, I can go inside some mosques and perhaps be able to pray inside one but sadly, all the men in change of them kept wanting money and wouldn't believe that I just wanted to pray! I guess I'll stick with the mosque near home for now.

faithandpeace
04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Technically my first time going to masjid was years ago and just to drop off/pick up a friend. Recently I went for the first time after reverting. A friend and her husband invited me for a tour they were having. It was nice. The leader gave the group a basic overview of the history of the masjid, Islamic culture in this city, and the basics on Islam itself. We then went to watch Salah (and invited to join for anyone who is Muslim). He held a Q&A session and explained that the masjid also holds a basic Islam class aimed at helping new Muslims (such as learning Salah) and those just interested in Islam. It was a very nice tour and it felt so peaceful inside. I didn't want to leave! Insha'Allah I will return and maybe take that class.

sajjad7006
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Assaalamu alaykum
May Allah bless you both. Amin
Mosque is known as "House of Allah". So think how Allah bless us with his blessing that there are a lot Mosques in a single town to offer prayer and do Ibadat in front of him 24/7.MAy Allah save us from bad things.Amin

zamadesigns
04-19-2013, 07:27 AM
It was amazing so decorative....

Tauheed123
05-10-2013, 01:21 AM
My First Visit Was For Salatul Jummah. Never Have I Felt Better Than Being At A Masjid Mashallah

Daris
08-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I remember being struck by the incredible outpouring of loving support I received, upon my first visit. It was even more affirmation that I had truly 'come home'.

I seek forgiveness for posting to an old thread, but I enjoy reading about the first impressions of those who have reverted.

Sumaiya54
08-04-2013, 02:49 AM
The first time I went to the Masjid was when I wasn't a Muslim, and I went with my friend because she had to pray there. I stayed in the sister's area and was on my phone the whole time lol. I tried not to make eye contact with anyone because I felt so out of place without a hijab on. I heard the Imam reciting Surah Al Fatiha and it made me shiver, and I remember thinking it was really beautiful, SubhanAllah.

The first time I actually prayed as a Muslim, I think it was Taraweeh and I was so scared that I would accidentally laugh or something that I only prayed Witr. But just those Rakah I prayed were mind blowing and I have tried to go to the Masjid as much as I can now because I love praying alongside other people.

Kâsva
08-04-2013, 03:58 AM
The first mosque was a very young age that I visited the Mosque of Van in Turkey was Hz.Ömer. I found a really great and peaceful I was 3-4 years old. :)

crimsontide06
08-04-2013, 04:58 AM
I believe I was 3-5 years old when I first went to a Mosque. Back then the Mosque was an apartment for many years until a few years ago after years of raising money...they finally built an actual building to be a Mosque, location is bad(in the "ghetto" part of town....) but it's beautiful. I am guessing they chose that place(and not in the main part of town) because the local churches would be outraged at there being a Mosque in their midst...

Night
08-27-2013, 01:21 AM
I haven't been (too chicken) but I finally got a response back from my local masjid about the new muslims class. :p I will report back when I finally go.

Taabuu
08-27-2013, 06:00 AM
I still remembered my first visit to a Mosque when i was in Brunei Darussalam. It was a beautiful Masjid with golden dome, with some colourful fountains. The place itself is very peaceful. i felt an inner peace and tranquility. I liked the fact that Muslims from different races and cultural background were sitting next to each other. I met some sisters from Bangladesh, Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Pakistan, India and Mali. There were many new muslims or converts who mostly were philipinos, Sri Lankan and black american. I saw diversity in the Masjid. They seems to be united because of their religion.

BintAbee
03-13-2014, 08:15 PM
:sl:

Jumua Khutbah tomorrow by Sheikh Usaamah Khayyaath & Sheikh Ali Hudhaifiyy in Masjidul Haraam & Masjidun Nabawiyy respectively in sha Allah

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!