/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why do I constantly worry about everything?

سيف الله
01-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Salaam

Wanted to Share.

I have always been a worrier, but recently Ive started to feel it really taking over my life. I'm only 25 but I constantly worry about money, my job, my safety and that of my family and friends. Ive even begun to find traveling abroad really difficult, as I am constantly thinking the worst is about to happen. I don't want to be like this anymore, but I cant let go of my anxiety

Lucy Beresford responds

There is an argument to say that 'to be human is to be anxious'. Anxiety can act as a spur to out creativity and ambition, while in other situations, it can make us appropriately cautious. But you sound flooded by worry, which is not a helpful way to live.

Anxiety can become a prop. Without it, some people worry they have only emptiness inside. So they always need to find something new to worry about. Anxiety can also start to act as a handbrake, a way yo stop yourself doing things, such as your difficulty in traveling abroad. We may find this annoying or frustrating but the compensation is that it keeps us in a familiar place.

You need to explore your own anxiety, and understand what its really about - given that you've always been a worrier. Only then can you find ways to weaken its grip on you. Im assuming, for example, that you dont have a major trauma from your past which might have triggered feelings of insecurity and helplessness. ask yourself how different your life would be if you could let go of your anxiety. Would you feel lighter, freer? Or do you dread a nothingness, a void inside?

To tackle your own anxiety, consider trying some mindfulness meditation on a daily basis. Mindfulness is an extraordinary process which is about learning to accept things as they are, including our emotions or mood in the moment and tolerating how they feel. try sitting in a calm space for 10 minutes and concentrating on your breathing and on the emotions that arise. By becoming fully present and alert to your experiences and emotions at any given time, you can begin to trust that your anxiety wont overwhelm you, but you can survive it.

You might also consider challenging your anxiety with activity. This is about finding things to do and plunging in, so that your mind has less free time in which to fret. New activities or being busy can generate happiness or satisfaction, and also provide opportunities to meet new people. Activities such as moderate exercise will release feel-good hormones into your system which can combat anxiety, and make you feel more in control.

Of course, a worrier will always be able to thing of countless reasons not to follow these suggestions (such as worrying the worst is going to happen), but this is because at the root lies a resistance to change or the unknown. The important thin is to cath yourself in the moment of being anxious and make a conscious decision to react differently.

Source: Psychologies No:89

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
01-18-2013, 01:24 AM
I think in the article they pointed out a couple of good things. A) Acceptance of what is and B) being present. Those are KEY to minimizing things like worry, anxiety, depression etc.

However, there's eve better advice for Muslims and we have the tools :) We have Islam!! Alhamdullilah. It is difficult for a person without faith to be present and accept things as they are, this is what I have observed in my lifetime. The psychologist here suggested meditation, as Muslims we are told to pray 5 times a day, this is for our own benefit. To be able to accept what is, we should strive to trust Allah fully, it' isn't always easy but when you let go and stop trying to control everything, that's when you will rid yourself of worry and anxiety. Know that everything is Allah's will, all you have to do is tie your camel. Do your best and trust HIM.

When you stop being present and you begin to live in the past or in the future, you bring on a mountain of problems that don't need to be there. Could have, should have, would have.... right. What is done is already done and you cannot change the past. Right? ;) You can however, learn from it and try better now, in the present. Don't worry about the future in this dunya as you are not guaranteed to live until then, so no sense in worrying about it. Take it one day at a time, try your best and leave the rest to Allah swt.

That is , in my opinion, the best way to come out of worry,anxiety,depression and a number of emotional problems that many of us are plagued with from time to time. :)

- cOsMiC

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!