/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do plants feel pain?

Indian Bro
01-18-2013, 01:50 PM
As-salamu alaykum,

Many researchers have indicated that plants do indeed feel pain. Some also claim that plants have emotions. Thoughts?

Salam 3laikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Fattah
01-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Aselam aleykum
What exactly is your defenition of "many researchers"? There is absolutely no scientific indication at all that that plants would actually feel anything. Then again, there are many things I believe in which can also not be shown by science. But as far as that research goes, that's all bogus, there were some scientists who had conducted some studies, but those have all been proven false many times over. There was even an episode on mythbusters about it.

Indian Bro
01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
As-salamu alaykum brother

Whether this theory about plants having the ability to "feel" is bogus or not is a difference of opinions because people believe plants need not have a similar nervous system as animals to justify whether they "feel" or not. Honestly, I don't care much whether plants feel anything or don't, I'm still going to eat them :D I just want to know more about this topic because I know a lot of vegans who justify their diet only because they are against animals going through pain so that they can be eaten by us. If tomorrow someone does prove that plants do indeed feel pain, wouldn't that change the views of many vegans? I stress that I have nothing against vegetarians as everyone has the right to opt for whatever diet they desire, however, I would just like to gain more insight regarding this topic because I find it quite intriguing to be honest. Besides, as far as I know I don't think that the Qur'aan or hadith speak of plants feeling or exhibiting emotions so I don't think this necessarily conflicts with our beliefs, I could be wrong!

Salam 3laikum

sister herb
01-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Salam alaykum

As I know plans should have similar nervous system like animals that they could feel pain and they havenĀ“t. As well we could ask can plans like trees for example think or feel fear if they "see" or "feel" you are coming near with ax. Or how we really know, maybe they then excrete some kind of stress hormone and "hope" you are going to looking for a chicken to your plate, not a wood to your fireplace...

:phew

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
piXie
01-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Some also claim that plants have emotions. Thoughts?
:sl:

Narrated Ibn ‘Umar (RA), that the prophet used to deliver his Khutba (religious talk) while leaning against a trunk of a date-palm tree. When he had the pulpit made and used it instead, the trunk started crying and the Prophet :saws: went to it, rubbing his hand over it (to stop its crying). (See Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol.4, Hadith No. 783).

Indian Bro
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
:sl:

Narrated Ibn ‘Umar (RA), that the prophet used to deliver his Khutba (religious talk) while leaning against a trunk of a date-palm tree. When he had the pulpit made and used it instead, the trunk started crying and the Prophet :saws: went to it, rubbing his hand over it (to stop its crying). (See Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol.4, Hadith No. 783).
As-salamu alaikum,

Beautiful hadith, jazakAllah khairan!

Salam 3laikum

muslimah bird
02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah the plants do have nerves and feel pain.

GuestFellow
02-18-2013, 05:10 PM
^ :wa:

Do you have any evidence for that? I heard its an area that is widely disputed. Interesting topics.

My stance is quite neutral since I'm no scientist.

Muslimlearner
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
If the hadith is Sahih, then the plants do feel pain and if you reject it, your seat in Hellfire is waithing you, just to remind the ruling^

I'm sure the date palm will be happy when we take its fruits. This is its purpose of life, same as the ruling for the animals.

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
lol vegans. You will never be able to get through them. I'm a member on a board full of vegans (I do juice fasting from time to time) and they don't really use logic too well. So indian Bro, if I were you, I wouldn't bother trying to make them see anything.

As far as the question regarding plants having feelings, well my grandmother use to sing to her flowers in the morning when she's water them, she said they liked it. In Mexico it is widely accepted that plants have some kind of feeling or emotion and they react to surroundings. The hadith posted confrims that for me personally. That which needs the earth's soil to survive must be alive, plants have life. Just because we cant hear or witness some things doesn't mean they don't exist, right?

- cOsMiC

Ahmed222
03-16-2013, 06:16 AM
What exactly is your defenition of "many researchers"? There is definitely no medical sign at all that that vegetation would actually experience anything. Then again, there are many factors I believe in which can also not be confirmed by technology. But as far as that analysis goes, that's all fake, there were some scientists who had performed some analysis, but those have all been confirmed incorrect many periods over.

Scimitar
03-16-2013, 06:54 AM
I used to grow plants - LOTS OF THEM, and I used to know if they were were infected or plagued by pests, and I'd know if they were happy or sad - strange as that sounds.

I believe plants can feel.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!