/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it dangerous to take pain killers everyday?

*charisma*
01-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Due to my knees/feet/ankle pains, I've been told to take pain killers until my blood results are finished (after 2 weeks). I've been put on paracetamol/fevadol 500mg 2 pills as needed (so that would be 1000mg). I started with 1 pill and it worked fine for a few days, and now I need 2 pills for it to numb the pain, but it knocks me out for a long time, it kind of scares me. It feels good because I can finally relax, but I'm worried the risks of taking this everyday for 2 weeks or more will outweigh the benefits.

Personally, I'm not fond of using medicine at all, but the pain is intolerable sometimes.

Are there alternatives??

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
01-23-2013, 03:45 AM
Salaam.

I am wondering how all this pain started... Maybe some kind of accident?

I think that any doctor would tell you that persistent taking of painkillers over time can be risky for your health.

Rather than taking painkillers every day, your doctor should have a more permanent solution to your pain. The pain killers should be a short term solution.

Watch out, you might become addicted.

Muslim Woman
01-23-2013, 03:53 AM
:wa:

may Allah eases ur pain . It's better to consult with ur doc rather than listen to opinion of who are not doctors .

*charisma*
01-23-2013, 04:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
Salaam.

I am wondering how all this pain started... Maybe some kind of accident?

I think that any doctor would tell you that persistent taking of painkillers over time can be risky for your health.

Rather than taking painkillers every day, your doctor should have a more permanent solution to your pain. The pain killers should be a short term solution.

Watch out, you might become addicted.
Wa'alikum asalaam

It's a long story, but the doctors think I have arthritis (I think I have it in my knees but not in my feet/ankles) which is what the lab tests are for. I think I sprained both of my feet during sleep by twisting them too far, but they don't believe me because sprains are usually injury related and even though there's nothing in the x-rays, they still won't order an MRI which would reveal ligament-related issues.

I have bruising all around my ankles and some inflammation/water retention when I sit down or stand up. I also have arch pain. The pains of my feet feel different than the ones in my knees which is why I don't think they are the same condition. It feels like there's a muscle cramp in my feet sometimes, whereas in my knees it seems like its bone related.

Never had arthritis or a sprain before so I don't know how to diagnose this for myself...

Because they're not sure what the problem is, they want to hold off on giving me any medications. They don't want the medication to intervene with the lab results and then cause a misdiagnosis I guess? I was just told to be patient and take pain killers until the lab results...

I know that pain killers cause addictions and that they could be dangerous, but the doctors didn't say anything. I just don't feel right about taking them and taking them for that long...

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
may Allah eases ur pain . It's better to consult with ur doc rather than listen to opinion of who are not doctors .
Ameen, jazaki allahu khair. True, but I'm hoping someone may have some insight or experience inshallah. The doctors gave me the medicine and didn't tell me anything about its effects.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
01-23-2013, 04:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
The doctors gave me the medicine and didn't tell me anything about its effects.
]

Salaam.

I am not a doctor, in fact I am a young naive lad.

As for you problem, I have not experienced this type of pain so I can't give you insight. What I can tell you is get an appointment ASAP, if pain continues, you may have to go to the hospital! Your doctor should have talked to you one-on-one and should have told you all this information. Please write questions you have down on paper and ask your doctor (incase you forget due to pain or nervousness)

"If your pain level is an 8 out of 10, there is probably nothing over the counter that is going to help you. I would recommend that you find a doctor that specializes in pain management and get an appointment as fast as possible. Doctors that specialize in pain management can prescribe pain killing medication that will allow you to function and they will probably put you on a number of other medications that help reduce pain such as elavil (an anti-depressant), Lyrica (helps with fibromyalgia), etc. If properly managed, pain killers don't zonk you out and you can have a life again.

It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you find a pain management doctor you are comfortable with. Unlike other types of doctors, you can't change doctors easily once you become an established patient."

unknown12
01-23-2013, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

Due to my knees/feet/ankle pains, I've been told to take pain killers until my blood results are finished (after 2 weeks). I've been put on paracetamol/fevadol 500mg 2 pills as needed (so that would be 1000mg). I started with 1 pill and it worked fine for a few days, and now I need 2 pills for it to numb the pain, but it knocks me out for a long time, it kind of scares me. It feels good because I can finally relax, but I'm worried the risks of taking this everyday for 2 weeks or more will outweigh the benefits.

Personally, I'm not fond of using medicine at all, but the pain is intolerable sometimes.

Are there alternatives??

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam
Salams this is what I have heard on TV, may or may not be 100% correct, please don't quote me on this but what I heard was your body becomes immune to the medicine you take if you take it a bit too much. This would include pain killers such as panadol, asprin etc, but in your case maybe it's a bit different.

Anyway's the tablets in turn have a negative effect on your liver (i think) and taking too many different 'drugs' will eventually cause your liver/kindneys to fail. (I'm probably wrong, but that's what I recall)...

I'm sure there are other natural alternatives etc, my mother has arthiritis in her knees, I'm not sure how she deals with it maybe some tablets dno...

All the best sister.

Woodrow
01-23-2013, 04:40 AM
:sl:

Pain relievers normally are only prescribed for sufficient time to allow either the pain to subside or for the person to learn to tolerate it. Two weeks does not seem to be an excessive time, however I think the Doctor should have told you to hold off taking each dose as long as possible and if possible even try completely skipping some doses until you can go an entire day without them. But, I am not an MD and do not know your Doctor's plan. You may want to discuss your concern with your Dr as soon as possible.

Iceee
01-23-2013, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown12
Salams this is what I have heard on TV, may or may not be 100% correct, please don't quote me on this but what I heard was your body becomes immune to the medicine you take if you take it a bit too much. This would include pain killers such as panadol, asprin etc, but in your case maybe it's a bit different.

Anyway's the tablets in turn have a negative effect on your liver (i think) and taking too many different 'drugs' will eventually cause your liver/kindneys to fail. (I'm probably wrong, but that's what I recall)...

I'm sure there are other natural alternatives etc, my mother has arthiritis in her knees, I'm not sure how she deals with it maybe some tablets dno...

All the best sister.
Salaam.

This is true and what schools teach in Biology (Science) class. Bacteria becomes immune after you use too many anti-biotics and this may be a problem in your case sister. By taking too many pills, your body will stop feeling the effects of the pills and may become immune.

Conclusion; Keep to the same amount of pills you take everyday, if you start taking more and more everyday, this is really bad and will cause not only addiction but also NO AMOUNT OF PILLS WILL BE ABLE TO STOP PAIN.

Inshallah you get better. Remember that help is always out there.

piXie
01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
:wasalamex

There are some dietary changes you could make to help decrease the inflammation which would help with the pain. Please PM me if you are interested. May Allaah give you shifaa. Aameen.

~Zaria~
01-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Assalamu-alaikum ukthi,

Alhamdulillah, paracetamol is one of the most safest pain-tablets on the market.

It does not have any sedating properties, so I dont think that it is due to this. Allahu alim.

At the current dose, I would not be too worried about the side-effects.

Insha Allah, your doctors will come to a diagnosis for your condition soon......as it would be more important to find and treat the actual cause, then only the symptoms.

May Allah (subhanawataála) grant you a speedy and complete recovery.
Ameen

:wa:

جوري
01-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Acetaminophen is safe is true but people can cause themselves severe irreversible liver damage if they take in high dosages or with other meds that work on a particular liver enzyme.. also if taking them everyday for a headache can cause what's called rebound headaches.

you can read about it here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/reb...SECTION=causes

As Sr. Zaria suggested best get diagnosed and go on the prescribed med for that particular dz.
May :Allah::swt: grant you fast shifaa :ia:

*charisma*
01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

jazakum allahu khair for all of your replies. Ameen to your du'as, may allah protect you all from illness and pain ameen.

Alhemdulilah that it's a safe drug. I am going to try to skip days in taking it if possible. I feel that my feet alhemdulilah get better day by day so inshallah maybe I will not need it anymore soon.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!