/* */

PDA

View Full Version : covering up....

lynn4now
01-25-2013, 04:07 AM
In the beginning how do you rearrange your wardrobe......I am failing miserably I felt so embarrassed when I went to by a new scarf and the lady asked if i was going to cover up my bottom....:embarrass (I had on wide leg slacks),I spend 30 min just trying to make sure all my clothing is laying properly and did I mention I leave in Texas....ITS HOTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
01-25-2013, 04:12 AM
:sl:

sis , Welcome to Islam :)

Let's wait for our convert sisters to give u advices . May Allah makes maintainging hijab easy for u .

lynn4now
01-25-2013, 05:06 AM
forgive my manners :sl:

I dont know. I love my hijab and I know a complete wardrobe change doesn't happen overnight. I think more so i dont know where to begin. I have a few long sleave shirts that can act as under shirts but then its the task of finding a light jacket or shirt then jacket to add to them. I'm always looking for a nice shayla and between me and my sister I have pashmina options that can keep me going to tell the truth I think its my sister reject that has me so ...'ugh" so I dont want to look..."sloppy and slouchy" (her words) I want to look....appropriate..well put together...and I don't know how to achieve that just yet. I mean I look in in the mirror and I see a Muslim woman and that makes me smile.

Re.TiReD
01-25-2013, 10:20 PM
I know a complete wardrobe change doesn't happen overnight.
You're right, it doesn't. So keep reminding yourself that when it feels tough :)

It might take a bit of time finding the style that is right for you but there's no reason why a Muslimah can't look well put together. Go for skirts if you want to ease out of wearing trousers/jeans. Take your sister out on a shopping spree and find something modest and comfortable. And maybe when the time is right you can look into wearing a Jilbab :)

I mean I look in in the mirror and I see a Muslim woman and that makes me smile
And that's the most important thing for now :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lynn4now
01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Jazallah,

I dont know if I'm ready for the jibab maybe for when I go to the masjid, but Im slowly rearranging my wardrobe. I'm online now looking for options ;D

tearose
01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
As-salamu 3laikum,
I sympathise as I went through a similar process...it took me a little while to adjust and get into a different mindset when shopping. If you aren't ready for jilbab/abaya, I'd recommend getting a few key pieces in neutral colours like black, grey or navy - things like long cardigans or long skirts that will go with anything, Then you may find you can combine them with other things you already have! I found it was also worth taking the time to compare different fabrics and go for a balance - you may find a style you like but if the fabric is too heavy you'll be too hot. On the other hand if its too light it might not cover up properly. Gradually you'll find combinations that work for both comfort and covering up inshaAllah.

Marina-Aisha
01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Have u thought of wearing maxi skirts and tops? That's wot I do, I wear maxi skirts and polo neck top underneath then wear top and little cardigan but I dunno if that's wot u wanna do but I hope helped little

lynn4now
01-26-2013, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marina-Aisha
Have u thought of wearing maxi skirts and tops? That's wot I do, I wear maxi skirts and polo neck top underneath then wear top and little cardigan but I dunno if that's wot u wanna do but I hope helped little
you know I never thought of wearing a maxi dress particularly because of the fabrics is so thin and mine are sun dress-ish so they are halters and strapless numbers. I guess if you punt on a nice long sleeve under shirt and add a cardigan it could work but the idea that something that made me feel ... sexy as being something modest it a strange concept...

Marina-Aisha
01-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Yes but make sure that the maxi dresses aren't too tight this something wot I mean

Qurratul Ayn
01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
:salamext:

^ That is gorgeous!

I haven't see you on in a while, my dear sister Marina-Aisha! :ia: you are well :)

format_quote Originally Posted by lynn4now
you know I never thought of wearing a maxi dress particularly because of the fabrics is so thin and mine are sun dress-ish so they are halters and strapless numbers. I guess if you punt on a nice long sleeve under shirt and add a cardigan it could work
Ya, it could work, also look for plain maxi dresses, sometimes they come fitted so try and get a larger size, so it stays loose upon onself :)

Marina-Aisha
01-26-2013, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn
:salamext:

^ That is gorgeous!

I haven't see you on in a while, my dear sister Marina-Aisha! :ia: you are well :)

Ya, it could work, also look for plain maxi dresses, sometimes they come fitted so try and get a larger size, so it stays loose upon onself :)
I'm great sis just so busy with college and work I haven't been as active lately :) but I hope ur well ((hugzz))
Also make sure the maxi dresses aren't see through. I was shopping the other day and I thought oooooo great maxi dress then I realised the bottom half was see through.

Jslayton
01-27-2013, 02:47 PM
for now what i do since my budget is limited atm , I cant go out and buy new clothes right now, I just wear long dress/sweat/scrub type pants, and long sleeve shirt under my shorter sleeved shirts...

Urban Turban
01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Don't mind.
But whenever we meet a revert, you should try to connect them with a senior Scholar, overnight wardrobe change or even suggesting them to get into full on niqab and hijab would be perhaps overwhelming, reverts in their zeal may agree to do so in trying to fit in but you know the environment around them isn't the same [families, relatives and friends] etc.

Please be careful. No offense please.

:wa:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
forgive my manners :sl:

I dont know. I love my hijab and I know a complete wardrobe change doesn't happen overnight. I think more so i dont know where to begin. I have a few long sleave shirts that can act as under shirts but then its the task of finding a light jacket or shirt then jacket to add to them. I'm always looking for a nice shayla and between me and my sister I have pashmina options that can keep me going to tell the truth I think its my sister reject that has me so ...'ugh" so I dont want to look..."sloppy and slouchy" (her words) I want to look....appropriate..well put together...and I don't know how to achieve that just yet. I mean I look in in the mirror and I see a Muslim woman and that makes me smile.
:w:

Welcome! Your zeal and positivity is very refreshing :D I'm sorry you had to feel the way you did when the other woman was rude to you. She has no right to do that.

Just some advice: Take your time, you don't need to conform to anyone's view of what is or what is not 'Islamic'. The beauty of Islam is that it gives us certain universal guidelines of modesty and dress, and within those guidelines it allows us to express ourselves and and have our own identity. Because after all, hijab is not to protect men, but to honor women. There are some Muslimah sites out there that cater to Muslim sisters clothing needs (Amirah Couture, Dina-Toki-O & others) and there are also a few blogs and vblogs as well (I think Amenakin is one of them? She was on with Baba Ali on some youtube videos back in the day). They're pretty popular in the community and they're probably a good place to start. There's a lot out there, just find yourself and as long as you're within Islamic guidelines, you're fine inshaAllah.

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
01-28-2013, 03:01 AM
As long as your curves are not hugged anything goes really. That dress pictured up there is a good start but the make up and camel hump are meh. :embarrass party pooper sorry.

Anyway I'm in texas as well, in the most humid of cities(fleh), and the best solution for me was a plain abaya. They are breathable, all curves hidden, you only need a couple to rotate and depending on my choice of shoes(i only wear flats btw), I can either be dressed up or sporty etc. I change my hijab up as well, I tie it similarly to pictured above at times (minus the huge hump lol).

If abaya is not something you want, the key things to have, imo, are a few long skirts and some mini dresses to use as shirts(make sure u buy them loose fitting of course). Right before spring is the time to buy those as you will get all the long sleeved ones at good prices. Also get one or two long sweaters. The scarves you will find here and there since they are in style. My favorite are gauze material (they resemble gauze but are better quality of course, i think they are just cotton dunno). I have purchased all of the above at Ross, they always have a good stock of scarves there. This is what I have found to be most cost effective, although I'm unsure if that's an issue for you or not.

hope this helped some :)

- cOsMiC

lynn4now
01-28-2013, 04:12 AM
Jazak Allah Khieran to you all your comment have been very helpful.

Ross does have a smorgasbord of scarfs :D and I am looking forward to their clearance racks for long sleeves and maybe skirts inshallah. What are the measurements for a proper hijab no hump (Idont get it either) I was thinking of getting some jersey material for my hijab and do any of you lady wear heels or earrings?

tearose
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Most of my scarves are the same shape and size. I just measured one of them...it's 159x72cm. I always wear flat shoes or boots. I think high heels usually attract too much attention, even if you're wearing a long skirt. I did wear them to a friend's wedding once, since there were no men.

Jslayton
01-28-2013, 10:59 PM
covering up just got easier for me as my first abaya arrived in the mail today :)

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
01-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Earrings yes, I always wear the same pair. My grandmother gave them to me. Heels no, as stated above, they attract attention, and to be honest, they were made TO look sexy and show off the legs. end of. If we just look around, it's easy to see that. However, if you must, just be aware that, they get caught up in long skirts, and u may end up with face injuries. lol.

personally my hijabs are all different sizes, I avoid the square ones like the plague. If you happen to live in H-Town, maybe I can go shopping with you :D insha Allah, if you wanted. lol.

- cOsMiC

lynn4now
01-30-2013, 03:57 AM
at cosmic we can do that I went to the Ross monday and there wasn't a scarf in sight :p. I agree about the heels i wore a pair yesterday to a job interview and I felt I might need a niqab the way some males looked at me:embarrass.(but they were platforms) I also figured out how to wear earrings with my hijab (WOOT) so slowly I'm getting there:D does anyone a site they would recommend for ordering online????

Marina-Aisha
01-30-2013, 06:34 AM
That's strange I thought it wasn't allowed to wear ears etc cos drew attention am I wrong?

Urban Turban
01-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Sister, for hijabs did you see kamanionline.com and shukronline.com [shukr is kinda expensive I feel]

plus hijabs should be such that - I mean the fundamental idea behind the hijab is to not just cover up but nobody should be able to know if the woman wearing the hijab is a young woman or an old woman [as far as possible]...

cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
01-30-2013, 03:14 PM
at cosmic we can do that I went to the Ross monday and there wasn't a scarf in sight . I agree about the heels i wore a pair yesterday to a job interview and I felt I might need a niqab the way some males looked at me.(but they were platforms) I also figured out how to wear earrings with my hijab (WOOT) so slowly I'm getting there does anyone a site they would recommend for ordering online????
PM me :) so we can make plans insha Allah. For hijabs online, you can try ebay, and get more for your money. The online islamic clothing stores can get pricey. There's places in town to get stuff, so if we go shopping I can tell you where we can go, depending the side of town ur in insha Allah. I do prefer to shop online myself, but for this stuff, you just really have to try it out first imo.

format_quote Originally Posted by Marina-Aisha
That's strange I thought it wasn't allowed to wear ears etc cos drew attention am I wrong?
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
plus hijabs should be such that - I mean the fundamental idea behind the hijab is to not just cover up but nobody should be able to know if the woman wearing the hijab is a young woman or an old woman [as far as possible]...
Replying to both at the same time. Hijab takes time to understand, so long as the intention is there, as Imaan, knowledge and understanding is increased, the form is hijab will change. At the beginning, when islam first came to the people, women didn't wear a veil (perhaps the followers of Isa (A.S) did I'm not certain, but I'm speaking of the people of jahaliya). Nor did they begin to wear it immediately either. Change was introduced slowly, and the focus shouldn't be on the small things like wearing earings or not. So long as the intention is there, which is clear that sister Lynn has the intention to cover up, that's all that really matters. Bro urbanturban, although I think I understand where ur coming from I have to say the point isn't to hide the woman completely. The point is to keep modest, to hide that which makes her attractive to the opposite gender, so that she may be valued as a person, not by her beauty.The list goes on really...

- cOsMiC

Urban Turban
01-30-2013, 03:30 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by cOsMiCiNtUiTiOn
Replying to both at the same time. Hijab takes time to understand, so long as the intention is there, as Imaan, knowledge and understanding is increased, the form is hijab will change. At the beginning, when islam first came to the people, women didn't wear a veil (perhaps the followers of Isa (A.S) did I'm not certain, but I'm speaking of the people of jahaliya). Nor did they begin to wear it immediately either. Change was introduced slowly, and the focus shouldn't be on the small things like wearing earings or not. So long as the intention is there, which is clear that sister Lynn has the intention to cover up, that's all that really matters. Bro urbanturban, although I think I understand where ur coming from I have to say the point isn't to hide the woman completely. The point is to keep modest, to hide that which makes her attractive to the opposite gender, so that she may be valued as a person, not by her beauty.The list goes on really...

- cOsMiC
No problem, sis, I was speaking generally, shouldn't have quoted sis lynn.

ranac555
03-11-2013, 02:12 AM
Salam Sister!
I am also a convert, and also living in Texas :)
First, let me say that after converting, it has taken me twoyears to get to the point I am at now, which I believe to be proper hijab. Forthe first 6 months or so, I was really clueless and didn't make many changes,except to never again wear something showing my legs (no shorts, capris, etc--I used to wear capris a lot-- was never real comfortable with shorts!). Anyway,as I learned more about what was proper, I began slowly changing my wardrobe.First, always wearing long sleeve. Then wearing looser pants. Adding someskirts to the mix. Then looser, longer shirts. Then tunics/ shirt-dresses thatcome to my knees. It's a very gradual process.
Regarding clothing suggestions, my first is, especially inTexas: wear BREATHABLE clothing! Especially cotton, viscose, etc. Stay awayfrom polyester. Next thing: try to keep layering to a minimal. I know this ishard to do and still dress modestly, but it will help. For example, I tend towear long-sleeve tunics that are cotton, with loose linen pants. Make sure theyare not see-through-- the point is to not have to wear anything except maybe acami underneath. For hijab, again, cotton or viscose; silk is also an excellentoption. It may be expensive, but it will outlast any other material you have,so to me it is worth it to have a few silk scarves. They keep you very cool inthe summer, and in the winter they also keep you warm. I personally like towear the Turkish style silk hijabs; you can find some at online at mymodefa -- check their clearance/ sale section, they usually have some nice ones at great prices. They also have on their site arm 'sleeves' which you can wear under shirtsthat have 3/4 sleeves. This is useful since it's very hard hear to find tunicsthat are completely long sleeve.
As far as tunics, now is probably the best time to try andlook for them in local malls and stores. In the middle of summer it's hard tofind anything with sleeves, but now you have all kinds of spring tunics/dresses-- I like to wear the 'dresses' as tunics. You can also find nice long-sleeved tunics online at shukronline -- they are expensive but I've heard the qualityis very good (I have yet to order from them myself).
May Allah help you sister; inshallah you will not have toomuch hardship this summer-- maybe try to stay indoors in the ac :) I've foundthat in Texas, it's hot no matter what you're wearing. Covering your skin willactually protect your body from direct sun rays which make your skin very hot. Again, the key is in breathable materials.

Abu Loren
03-11-2013, 03:11 AM
Masha'Allah sisters are doing it for themselves. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!