/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what would this لَمْ يَكُنْ translate to

nutty
02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Asslamun alaikum

what would this لَمْ يَكُنْ translate to ? and is there any emphasis in it or anything else?

sometime it translates as 'were it not' or 'should not' in the books

jazak-Allaah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bint-e-Adam
02-08-2013, 04:26 AM
yups i m too confused in its use
it is often used in the meaning of future. and oftenly as past.

sameer123
02-08-2013, 01:07 PM
لم يَكُنْ is equal to ما كان. It means 'He was not'. But this meaning doesn't make any sense because it is naaqis verb. So in order to get its proper meaning we have to bring its ism and khabar.

Now why sometimes it is translated as "He is" or "He will be"?
That is because at that time كان comes with the name Allah. When كان is used with Allah then كان means "He was", "He is" and "He will be".
And sometimes it gives the meaning of future because it comes in جملة شرطية.
So the context do effect the meanings.

nutty
02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
o right i get it now...jazak-Allaah brother..can i ask where u got this explanation from

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sameer123
02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Madina Book 2, Lesson 21.
A short description can be found in Glossary of Madina Books, page 194:
Quoting Glossary

لَـمْ, negative particle used with the mudaari. It turns the mudaari into maadi, and renders it majzoom, e.g., أَذْهَبُ, I go. → لَـمْ أَذْهَبْ, I did not go.
End Quote

Muhaba
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I read in arabic book that كان is used for present and future as well but it didn't give any examples.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!