/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to rely upon Allah?

ncarolinahs
02-23-2013, 04:40 AM
"...Indeed, Allah loves those who rely [upon Him]."
Quran (3:159)

Tawakkul is a seemingly simple concept that we hear about all the time. We know we are supposed to put our trust in Allah and believe that Allah will take care of our affairs. But when we try to translate this concept into action, what is Tawakkul?

It is to avoid haram relationships with the opposite gender when everyone around you is participating in them because you know that Allah will provide you with a more beautiful, more righteous, and more knowledgeable spouse, one that will be the coolness of your eyes.

It is to avoid haram investments when everyone around you is participating in them because you know that Allah will provide with a more rewarding, more fruitful, barakah filled investment that will make things easier for you.

It is to be Mus'ab Ibn Umair and give up absolutely everything for the sake of Allah. To give up being the wealthiest, best dressed, and most beloved person in exchange for extreme poverty, humiliation, and a brutal death, knowing that Allah will provide you with a much better reward in the hereafter.

It is to be Aasiyeh and give up absolutely everything for the sake of Allah. To give up being the most powerful, the most wealthy, the most noble person in all of Egypt in exchange for insults, torture, and a cruel death, knowing that Allah will provide you with a much better reward in the hereafter.

Tawakkul is much more than just words. When Allah speaks of the people who have Tawakkul in such glowing terms there is a reason for it. Reaching this stage of having full reliance upon Allah takes an immense amount of work and Iman. May Allah make it easy for us to be of those who place our full trust in Him.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Loren
02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Are you a Sufi by any chance?

ncarolinahs
02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
No, I'm just an average Muslim
What does being a sufi mean anyway?

ardianto
02-24-2013, 07:23 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by ncarolinahs
It is to avoid haram relationships with the opposite gender when everyone around you is participating in them because you know that Allah will provide you with a more beautiful, more righteous, and more knowledgeable spouse, one that will be the coolness of your eyes.

It is to avoid haram investments when everyone around you is participating in them because you know that Allah will provide with a more rewarding, more fruitful, barakah filled investment that will make things easier for you.
But if we just stay at home without making an effort to find a girl who is pious and without looking for a job because we believe that Allah will provide for us, this is not tawakkul.

If we leave our bike in a place without lock it because we believe Allah will take care, this is not tawakkul.

Tawakkul is that we believe that Allah will give us the best results for our efforts, despite what would Allah give us maybe not what we want.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
02-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Greetings and peace be with you ardianto;
But if we just stay at home without making an effort to find a girl who is pious and without looking for a job because we believe that Allah will provide for us, this is not tawakkul.
Agreed, work as if everything depends on Allah, pray as if everything depends on the efforts of your hands,

In the spirit of praying for a greater faith.

Eric

ardianto
02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H

Agreed, work as if everything depends on Allah, pray as if everything depends on the efforts of your hands,

In the spirit of praying for a greater faith.

Eric
Greetings and peace be with you, brother Eric.

"Ora et labora" (pray and work) isn't it?. I studied in Catholic elementary school before moved to Bandung. :)

But what is "tawakkul" ?. This is an attitude which we believe that Allah will determine what the best for us, as result of our effort (pray and work), although maybe what Allah will give for us is not what we hope. Of course, expecting miracle without do effort is not tawakkul.

As you know, my wife is in illness. Honestly, I have ready to accept whatever happen to my wife tomorrow as a destiny from Allah. But I will always pray and do my best to cure my wife. This is my tawakkul.

May Allah give strength and hope to everyone who is in suffering.

Eric H
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM

I have been following your wife’s progress and the struggle that you and your family must face every day. Last year I went through various tests for cancer, I had some small cancerous bits removed with no guarantees for the future, I still have to go back for regular checkups, the doctors do something you wait weeks, or months, you go back again for more tests, wait again for results. During this time I never prayed that I should be healed, rather my prayers have been that whatever the outcome of the tests should be that I should have the wisdom, peace, serenity and strength to do God’s will, I can only say that I experienced profound moments of peace. The thoughts and worry of cancer have never troubled me, as you say, we place all our troubles in God’s hands and strive to do his will.

Every blessing to you and your family,

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!