/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK - Lamb in resutrants have pork

islamica
02-27-2013, 12:45 AM

Trading standards officers test lamb kebabs in 20 restaurants... and found that NONE contained just lamb

· All kebabs contained a mixture of pork, beef or poultry
· Only three lamb curries tested had just lamb
· Four curries contained none at all
· Muslims may be unwittingly eating pork
· One kebab contained almost 20 times the safe levels of food colouring

By Chris Hanlon - 30 April 2012

Beware the next time you order a lamb kebab - as consumer watchdogs have discovered that every one they tested contained a concoction of other meats.

An investigation by trading standards officers has revealed that none of 20 lamb kebabs tested contained just lamb - while four lamb curries out of 19 did not contain any lamb at all.

Lamb is the most expensive meat consumers regularly buy, followed by beef and pork, with chicken being the cheapest.

Trading standards officers wanted to check that consumers were getting what they expected - and paid for.

Yet incredibly, none of the 20 lamb kebabs sampled contained just lamb.

They all contained a mixture of lamb together with either pork, beef or poultry.

Trading standards officers say they understand that some restaurants may be knowingly using chicken in their lamb kebabs as it helps to ensure the meat sticks together around the skewer during cooking.

Of 19 lamb curries tested, only three contained just lamb. Again, most contained a mixture of lamb together with either beef or poultry. But four lamb curries didn't contain any lamb at all.

These were then tested to see what meat they actually contained and to check for high levels of artificial colourings - which can affect people's health and trigger hyperactivity in children.

Although none of the curries were found to contain high levels of colourings, 70 per cent of the kebabs tested did.

One contained levels of artificial colouring that were 18 times higher than permitted, another was 13 times higher.

This may be due to human error in preparation of the marinades used by the restaurants and take-aways to give the kebab colour.

Officers from Warwickshire County Council trading standards visited 20 restaurants and takeaways, at random, in Stratford upon Avon, Leamington Spa, Nuneaton and Rugby and purchased 39 lamb curries and lamb kebabs.

Warwickshire County councillor Richard Hobbs, portfolio holder for community safety said: 'Consumers rely on accurate food descriptions. Some foods are not permitted to be eaten by some religions and cultures, whilst some people may wish to avoid some foods because of allergy concerns.

'Consumers should also have the confidence that if they are buying an expensive product such as lamb, that they are not getting chicken instead, a meat that is half the price.

'Warwickshire trading standards will now be contacting every restaurant and takeaway involved.

'Further investigations are to be carried out and advice will be provided to retailers and the wholesale trade.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...just-lamb.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
:sl:

muslims , be careful.

Abu Loren
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
There is no sin on you in you are duped into eating something that was labelled halal. The sin falls on the defrauders.

Raaina
03-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Nothing is what it says on the label these days.
I might just start eating Non meat products :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Loren
03-04-2013, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Raaina
Nothing is what it says on the label these days.
I might just start eating Non meat products :hmm:
Probably a good idea as you won't be eating horse burgers instead of beef burgers. ;D

Scimitar
03-04-2013, 03:15 AM
HMC halal guys, it's the best way to go in the UK: http://www.halalhmc.org/

I think that the kebab shops they tested were majorly Turkish owned. The Turks always claim their food is halal, but from what I know, the same owners will drink alcohol, gamble and probably other stuff too which aint halal... so how can we trust the Turks in the UK?

I don't mean to offend any Turkish Muslims on this site, but if you live in London UK, are a Turk, and know some relatives who have Turkish restaurants or takeaways, then YOU KNOW WHAT THE DEAL IS ALREADY!

I stick with hmc approved suppliers only.

Scimi

Salahudeen
03-04-2013, 09:07 AM
HMC is the way to go. I don't buy meat from non HMC certified butchers now.

Scimitar
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
I actually think it tastes better. Well, not that I can do a comparison now, but back when I first started getting HMC certified meat and poultry, I could really taste the difference in it. And just thought, Yep - this is the way forward :D

muslimah bird
03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Some of them use pork fat oil in fried products

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!