/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A prophet by any other name

IAmZamzam
03-01-2013, 04:59 AM
Wikipedia claims that Hud has often been identified with the biblical prophet Eber and Shuayb with Jethro. Thing is I’m not seeing any citations. Have any of you ever heard of this theory? And if so what do you think of it?

And while we’re at it what do you guys think of the very real age-old controversies over whether Zul-Kifl was Ezekiel and Idris was Enoch?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Loren
03-01-2013, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Wikipedia claims that Hud has often been identified with the biblical prophet Eber and Shuayb with Jethro. Thing is I’m not seeing any citations. Have any of you ever heard of this theory? And if so what do you think of it?

And while we’re at it what do you guys think of the very real age-old controversies over whether Zul-Kifl was Ezekiel and Idris was Enoch?
As'alaamu Alaikkum John

Good thread. I think the only connection that Prophet Shua'ib (Alayhi Salaam) could be Jethro is that both are from Midyan. Jethro was ofcourse, also the father in law of Prophet Musa (Alayhi Salaam). I don't really know how one can make a connection. We are told that Prophet Shua'ib (Alayhi Salaam) was preaching against cheating travellers of false weight measurements.

I suppose some of the Prophets can be linked linguistically. For example, Musa (Moses), Job (Ayyub), Jonah (Yunus), Yakkub (Jacob) etc. But when it comes to Zul Khifl or Idris etc then we have a problem. I don't think there are any prophetic narrations to help us either. Allahu Alum.

IAmZamzam
03-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't know. It seems to me that if you say "Ezekiel" through a mouthful of Chex Mix you pretty much have said "Zul-Kifl". As I understand it a lot of The Quran's names for the other prophets aren't the most obvious cognates in the world either.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!