/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Name change request

IAmZamzam
03-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I've decided that I don't want to go by my old name anymore. Part of this is that I'm slowly recovering some of the old spark and want to symbolize the change. It may even help my attitude if I give myself that final little push. But I also have come to dislike the custom of non-Arabs going by overtly Arab-sounding traditional names, as this does nothing in the end but encourage the old "Arab = Muslim" stereotype.

Therefore I would like to go by Zamzam from now on, after the hadith about The Prophet's heart being washed and filled with faith and wisdom. It's a very powerful symbol. I also just like the sound of the word. Go ahead, say it out loud. I could put a message in my signature for a while clarifying who I am.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Loren
03-01-2013, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
I've decided that I don't want to go by my old name anymore. Part of this is that I'm slowly recovering some of the old spark and want to symbolize the change. It may even help my attitude if I give myself that final little push. But I also have come to dislike the custom of non-Arabs going by overtly Arab-sounding traditional names, as this does nothing in the end but encourage the old "Arab = Muslim" stereotype.

Therefore I would like to go by Zamzam from now on, after the hadith about The Prophet's heart being washed and filled with faith and wisdom. It's a very powerful symbol. I also just like the sound of the word. Go ahead, say it out loud. I could put a message in my signature for a while clarifying who I am.
All the best John.

Tyrion
03-01-2013, 06:18 PM
You should be able to change it yourself, just go to the 'edit profile' section in your settings.

IAmZamzam
03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Well, that was awkward. What's more the name was already taken. I had to go with an alternative instead.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Loren
03-02-2013, 06:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IAmZamzam
Well, that was awkward. What's more the name was already taken. I had to go with an alternative instead.
Awwww man you're still John to me. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!