/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain what this means.

Student1996
03-20-2013, 12:35 AM
Quran:
2:110, And you see the people entering into the religion of Allah in multitudes,

2:111, And they say, "None will enter Paradise except one who is a Jew or a Christian." That is [merely] their wishful thinking, Say, "Produce your proof, if you should be truthful."

2:112, Yes [on the contrary], whoever submits his face in Islam to Allah while being a doer of good will have his reward with his Lord. And no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve.

Then here is 2:113, The Jews say "The Christians have nothing [true] to stand on," and the Christians say, "The Jews have nothing to stand on," although they [both] recite the Scripture. Thus the polytheists speak the same as their words. But Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning that over which they used to differ.

So in the 3 beliefs on the day of judgement they enter the 'garden' if they practice their own religion within Judiasm, Christianity, or Islam?
Remember I am new to Islam so forgive my ignorance/misunderstanding.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Loren
03-20-2013, 10:34 AM
As'alaamu Alaikkum

I'm not a scholar but I will try my best Inshaa Allah.

I think you've quoted 2:110 from some other Surah. Here is what 2:110 says

Sahih International

And establish prayer and give zakah, and whatever good you put forward for yourselves - you will find it with Allah. Indeed, Allah of what you do, is Seeing. 2:110.

Every good that you do is for your own benefit, it earns the pleasure of Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala and gives you a chance for salvation.

And they say, "None will enter Paradise except one who is a Jew or a Christian." That is [merely] their wishful thinking, Say, "Produce your proof, if you should be truthful." 2:111

The Jews say that only the Jews will enter paradise and the Christians say only the Christians will enter paradise. So Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala is asking them produce proof from any scripture that this is the case.

Yes [on the contrary], whoever submits his face in Islam to Allah while being a doer of good will have his reward with his Lord. And no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve. 2:112

Here Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala tells us that one must submit to Him (be a Muslim) in order to attain paradise. This also means that one must follow His laws that He has given us.

The Jews say "The Christians have nothing [true] to stand on," and the Christians say, "The Jews have nothing to stand on," although they [both] recite the Scripture. Thus the polytheists speak the same as their words. But Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning that over which they used to differ. 2:113

The Jews and Christians will argue with one another saying "I amd right and you are wrong". They are both wrong because they do not follow the scriptures that were given to them. They follow their own vain desires. Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala will correct them on the Day of Resurrection but of course it will be too late.

This does not mean that all three religion are accepted. After the Final Revelation was given to Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) everyone must be part of the Muhammadan covenent to be saved. This is because Islam is the only True religion before Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala.

Prophet Muhammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) invited the Jews and Christians to be part of this Final Covenent of God but they refused.

Al-Mufarridun
03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
:sl:

Each Messenger has a specific time slot. Whenever Allah :swt: sends a Messenger, everyone to whom he was sent must believe him and follow him. When Allah :swt: sent Moses(as), it would not suffice for one to say I will not believe you or follow you o Moses, but I'll keep the religion of Jacob(as), Isaac(as) and Ibrahim(as). Likewise, when Jesus(as) was sent, anyone who refused to believe him and follow him, whether they said we are still following the religion of Moses or not, they would have disbelieved. Disbelieving in 1 Messenger is like disbelieving in All the Messengers. And Disbelieving in the Messengers is the same as Disbelieving Allah :swt:.

So in short, Since the time that Muhammad(pbuh) was sent, and he was sent to All mankind, any Jew or Christian who hears of Him and doesn't believe in Him will die as a Disbeliever.

Those who deny God and His messengers and seek to make a distinction between God and His messengers and say, "We believe in some messengers and disbelieve in others", and desire to adopt a position in between. Those indeed are they who are denying the truth beyond doubt, and We have prepared a humiliating punishment for the deniers. [Quran 4:150-151]

Allah :swt: knows best.

Student1996
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Thank you both for a good explanation. I understand it more now.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abu Loren
03-20-2013, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Student1996
Thank you both for a good explanation. I understand it more now.
If you are not sure of a verse in the Holy Qur'an you check it's tasfir or detailed explanation from scholars. For example I use altasfir.com and ther you can just give the chapter and verse number and the explanation will be given. Hope this helps Inshaa Allah.

Jedi_Mindset
03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Loren
If you are not sure of a verse in the Holy Qur'an you check it's tasfir or detailed explanation from scholars. For example I use altasfir.com and ther you can just give the chapter and verse number and the explanation will be given. Hope this helps Inshaa Allah.
Masha'Allah, finally someone who is saying the same as i do, you will find me not posting qu'ran verses unless i use tafsir :)
Thats a good advice bro, same goes for hadith, read the commentary or it will be taken out of context.

Student1996
03-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Apparently I should check out this website 'Tafsir' :clever:

Ahmad H
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Apparently I should check out this website 'Tafsir' :clever:
I think the spelling might have been incorrect when it was posted up above. It is www.altafsir.com. Another one to check out is www.qtafsir.com. Both websites allow you to look up verses individually.

Might I suggest you google "Quranic Arabic Corpus". Use that website to look at the grammatical structure of every word in the Qur'an within each Ayat. It explains something of Arabic grammar too. If you ever want to be fully comprehensive in trying to figure out a meaning of a word in the Qur'an, use this tool and any other Arabic-English dictionary (well, the good ones like Aqrab Al-Mawrid and Lane's Lexicon).

Researching yourself on what verses mean is better than asking anyone here - unless they tell you what these Tafsirs say. I also suggest trying to learn Arabic if you are a new Muslim. I am not a new Muslim, but I realize a world of difference while trying to learn Arabic and trying to comprehend meanings of verses in Qur'an. It is impossible to fully grasp meanings without Arabic knowledge. Please do so because mere recitation alone will not guarantee the maximum benefits of reward.

One step at a time. But these points will help you very far down the line. Learn to both recite Arabic AND learn what some of the words mean. The Qur'an will then become alive to you and its recitation will be ever more beautiful.

Skorpio
11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Well translated and comprehended, it makes so much sense now.

Abdullah101
11-28-2013, 05:40 AM
:sl:
I realize that the question may have been answered already, but I'd like to offer my input.

Quran:
2:110, And you see the people entering into the religion of Allah in multitudes,

2:111, And they say, "None will enter Paradise except one who is a Jew or a Christian." That is [merely] their wishful thinking, Say, "Produce your proof, if you should be truthful."

2:112, Yes [on the contrary], whoever submits his face in Islam to Allah while being a doer of good will have his reward with his Lord. And no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve.

Then here is 2:113, The Jews say "The Christians have nothing [true] to stand on," and the Christians say, "The Jews have nothing to stand on," although they [both] recite the Scripture. Thus the polytheists speak the same as their words. But Allah will judge between them on the Day of Resurrection concerning that over which they used to differ.

So in the 3 beliefs on the day of judgement they enter the 'garden' if they practice their own religion within Judiasm, Christianity, or Islam?
Remember I am new to Islam so forgive my ignorance/misunderstanding.

These verses are talking about Judgment day.

You see, the problem with Old English text is that it's a bit hard to explain. Besides that, I don't know who the speaker is when it says "That is [merely] their wishful thinking, Say, "Produce your proof, if you should be truthful." In verse 110, so I am going to assume it's the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), as he is the one who dictated the Quran.

On Judgement day, everyone will wait to be Judged (their turn has not came yet), the people of the Scripture (Jews, Christians, ext.) will say "None will enter paradise except us". It was said by the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) "That's their wishful thinking", it is then said in a 3rd person statement / question by the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) for the people of the Scripture to produce proof, to back up their claims. Then, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said "No, that is not how it is. If you submit to God (Allah means God in Arabic), and do good, that is who will be rewarded" .Then the Jews will argue that Christians have no proof, and Christians will argue that Jews have no proof (quarreling), although both Christians and Jews recite from the Scripture (The Jewish Torah is the first 5 chapters of the Old Testament (Bible) ) The polytheists (Polytheism is the belief in multiple gods, unlike Monotheism which is the belief of one god) will do the same as the Christians & Jews (Quarrel), but they also don't have any proof.

Excuse me please if my interpretation is off at all, I spent literally an hour or more making this post.

The newer versions of the Quran (and Bible) often lose the meaning behind the text because the publishers want to make it easy to read. If you examine Old English dialect literature, and translations of the Quran (and Bible), you will see the difference. I was absolutely astonished by the difference of a 16th century translation of the Bible vs a 21st Century translation, which I compared today. I think that Old English is a beautiful dialect, and that it's necessary to preserve it. Only if I would know Arabic fluently, I could only imagine how beautiful it would be.

greenhill
11-28-2013, 05:55 AM
And you see the people entering into the religion of Allah in multitudes,
Comes from 110:2

Sahih International
And you see the people entering into the religion of Allah in multitudes

Peace :shade:

Abdullah101
11-28-2013, 05:58 AM
No, I mean I don't know who said it. If you look contextually into it:
I'm guessing it's the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) that is saying in third person "That is merely their wishful thinking"?

greenhill
11-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Abdullah101,

No, Allah is saying to our prophet s.a.w. - that if the Jews or Christian claim "None will . . . . Jew..Christian", Allah is telling our prophet s.a.w. that it is merely their (the Jews and the Christians) wishful thinking. Allah then goes on to instruct our prophet s.a.w. to say "Produce proof....." (if the case arises) which I'm sure it did.

Abdullah101
11-28-2013, 01:08 PM
I can't beleive I thought it was the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) speaking in 3rd person. It was late and I was tired haha.

Thanks again man!
:jz:

Insaanah
11-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah101
The newer versions of the Quran (and Bible)
Please note, that there are no versions of the Qur'an. None at all. There is only one Qur'an, which is in Arabic - the fully preserved 100% word of God, revealed to Prophet Muhammad :saws: through the angel Gabriel (peace be upon him). There are different translations of the meaning of the Qur'an, to convey it's meaning in different languages to those who cannot read Arabic, but there are no versions.

The Bible on the other hand, has many versions, some of which differ in doctrine. In some versions entire books are missing that are included in others. There is no original Bible, some of it written by humans decades even centuries after the departure of Jesus (peace be upon him) from this earth, and some written by people who never met him, and based on their own personal "inspiration".

Just wanted to clarify that we can't say that both have versions, and to explain why.

Abdullah101
11-28-2013, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Greetings,

Please note, that there are no versions of the Qur'an. None at all. There is only one Qur'an, which is in Arabic - the fully preserved 100% word of God, revealed to Prophet Muhammad :saws: through the angel Gabriel (peace be upon him). There are different translations of the meaning of the Qur'an, to convey it's meaning in different languages to those who cannot read Arabic, but there are no versions.

The Bible on the other hand, has many versions, some of which differ in doctrine. In some versions entire books are missing that are included in others. There is no original Bible, some of it written by humans decades even centuries after the departure of Jesus (peace be upon him) from this earth, and some written by people who never met him, and based on their own personal "inspiration".

Just wanted to clarify that we can't say that both have versions, and to explain why.
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Greetings,

Originally Posted by Abdullah101
The newer versions of the Quran (and Bible)
Please note, that there are no versions of the Qur'an. None at all. There is only one Qur'an, which is in Arabic - the fully preserved 100% word of God, revealed to Prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel (peace be upon him). There are different translations of the meaning of the Qur'an, to convey it's meaning in different languages to those who cannot read Arabic, but there are no versions.

I meant like type of translations. Like easy to read translations, not actual different versions. I prefer Old English translations for some reason on everything

anisafatima
12-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Holy Quran is unique in a way that it has neither versions nor amendment since its revelation the biggest proof that can be provided in this context that old copies of Holy Quran, which are still preserved, are same like that is read nowadays.

greenhill
12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anisafatima
Holy Quran is unique in a way that it has neither versions nor amendment since its revelation the biggest proof that can be provided in this context that old copies of Holy Quran, which are still preserved, are same like that is read nowadays.
Only the transliteration varies slightly. Even then, there is still great mysteries with regards to its deeper meanings, without any changes to the original script of the Quran.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!