/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you avoid swimmer's migraine & nausea?

جوري
04-10-2013, 05:29 PM
:sl:

per title, your tips would be appreciated..
perhaps you can recommend a brand of goggles too that doesn't cause this maddening pressure..
:jz:

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
ahem...don't swim? :welcome:

actually, if it's a pressure thing. what about ear plugs?

just loosen the goggles.

nausea? quit swallowing the water.

i'm part fish, so no issues. with your complaints, i really suspect the water pressure on your ears.

جوري
04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
:jz: there was a woman today who must have been 500 lbs and she was there way before me and I left and she was still there.. wondered how she can do it, she looked like one of those prison guards from Leningrad, one shouldn't be fooled by the look of athleticism lol .. before I used to wear contacts under the goggles and the occular pressure was just maddening and I thought that was the problem, but problem persists and with nausea .. I sat on the stairs for a while until the sensation dissipates but when I got back in it was worse so I just went home...
I hate to give up something I enjoy I do wonder if that's a common problem with folks or just me..

start swimming :ia: it is good for you...

YusufNoor
04-10-2013, 07:34 PM

don't forget that you are swimming in a toxic soup. indoor pools are chambers of poison, feeling sick in them is normal. the water is bleached and that bleach permeates the air. you skin, an organ, is absorbing all that crap. a different pool may help.

contacts in a pool? seriously? you only need to see the sides and bottom. what about some prescription goggles, eh? think about it. [it isn't a fashion show and there ain't no guys, so chill about how you think you might look.]

i've spent an enormous amount of time in pools. the 2 worst things, swallowing the water and water in your ears. i'm not kidding about this. you can get custom made ear plugs. it ain't easy getting water out of your ears and it is really sensitive spot. your balance can go haywire and that could trigger a bunch of other things.

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-10-2013, 07:38 PM
you're right I still smell the chlorine on me.. I'll look into prescription goggles ... if they don't chlorinate I'll be swimming in a dump of a different sort though lol .. I wear a diver's suit goggles and cap so very little of me is exposed to water yet somehow it does get there ...

:ma: :jz: for all the info. I try not to swallow it indeed but half of my face is buried in there when I go under and then up again. Not sure about the ear plug I imagine the pressure would be unbearable between the cap the suit and goggles..

YusufNoor
04-10-2013, 07:45 PM
nose plug and learn how to breathe properly while swimming. the smoother your stroke, the less waves you'll cause; you don't have to twist your neck so much.

i was on a swim team for ages. Peterborough had a spring fed pool, no chlorine, but it was dang cold! it was a nice change though, just too cold for an IM. i doubt people nowadays bother to mix chemicals correctly. i still remember the feeling in indoor pools when you first walked in. it's like hitting a wall. maybe a posh club where they can pay someone to treat the water right.

:wa:

YusufNoor
05-22-2013, 11:10 PM

i immediately thought of you when i saw this:

http://www.naturalnews.com/040449_sw...ces_urine.html

greenhill
05-23-2013, 01:22 AM
I did competitive swimming at school too, and it had the second oldest indoor pool in Britain. Instant migraine when I dived in! So cold!

I tried many types of goggles and non really was perfect. I found wearing yellow goggles helped with 'brightening' the pool and elevates the 'mood'. Somehow the 'refraction' in the water reduces the need for prescription lenses. What I did was periodically remove the goggles to relieve the pressure around my eye socket.

Is this something new happening to you or has it always been this way?

جوري
05-23-2013, 02:48 AM
I have always had a problem in the beginning I thought it was the water pressure and contact lenses but I had LASIK done so I started again and inevitably I come out vomiting and the headache and pressure are unbearable I'd give it up if it weren't sheer bliss for the first 20 mins or so..
I am naturally prune to migraines and nausea anyway and after a severe bout of gastroenteritis this weekend I've a maddening migraine today too so sometimes I feel I maybe unfairly judging the pool for something that maybe inherently wrong with me!

greenhill
05-23-2013, 04:12 AM
Strange that (only because of my ignorance).

Have more questions than answers. The first 20 minutes you say. Do you notice a slow build up to the your nausea and or migraine? Which comes first? Migraines build up to the point of nausea or independently.

Perhaps you should not let it build up to that point. Suggest that you swim for ten minutes (15 at most) then have a break for 10 minutes or so and try again, and see how that goes? It is important to keep warm in between, though. Maybe you could do more short sessions with breaks in between than a continuous one.

Don't know for sure, just a suggestion. By the way, do you suffer the same in lakes or the sea? You mentioned 'pressure' so I guess it will be the same.:hmm:

جوري
05-23-2013, 07:49 AM
I haven't been to the sea since I was a child I burn,blister and develop bullae in the sun so I avoid it at all costs.
Last time it was just nausea not a migraine but a low grade headache migraines with me usually render me completely useless I've to sit in a dark quiet place to avoid movement sound and light like yesterday sobhan Allah what a tough day into night.
Yes I am usually ok for the first while but need to build stamina I only swim amongst other reasons to train the body for when they come after us and make no mistake they're coming under all banners. Victory comes from Allah :swt: but you've to make an effort at least!

greenhill
05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear about the trials, Allah knows best. Building up stamina can be also done at home.

I reckon you may have motion sickness. Just a guess.

جوري
05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
you guess correct.. I hate to not be the driver and if I am not I usually have my head between my knees for the trip.. :D
:haha: you should be a doctor you'd make a good detective!

YusufNoor
05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by العنود
I try not to swallow it indeed but half of my face is buried in there when I go under and then up again.

i still can't figure out what form of "swimming" requires "going under and then up again"...well, you know, other than "trying not to drown!" :D

you should be moving along the top of the water.

Yes I am usually ok for the first while but need to build stamina I only swim amongst other reasons to train the body
firstly, and i mean no disrespect, but actually learning how to swim might help...just a wee bit!:hiding:

go buy a styrofoam kickboard. use it to develop your scissor kick if you are swimming "the crawl" (freestyle, Umerikkkan crawl) or frog kick if you are doing the breaststroke. practice until you can propel yourself across the TOP of the water.

for building stamina, treading water works nicely. try treading water for as long as you feel comfortable. then try 10 - 15 minutes. build up to a half hour if you really want to get a workout. to make things interesting, try it hands only. you'll have to move your arms rather quickly, but sooner or later you'll feel very much at home in the water. to make it real tough, try feet only. it's harder and some bobbing may be involved. hands only is much easier.

i'm guessing that the intake of water is something you might want to avoid (you know, like the plague). some tips: as you are bring your face out of the water, this is a good time to be exhaling! capiche? second, PLAN your breathing! don't try to breathe on every stroke, you're just wasting energy, especially if you aren't quite "close to the surface" when you are swimming. if you are doing breaststroke, every other is fine, try for one in three. just give a little extra pull on the upstroke on the breathing stroke. in the crawl, swim the pool sideways until you feel what works best. as little as possible is best. assuming that you know how to swim, the only thing you should concentrate on is your breathing. don't worry about drowning or "getting to the end of the pool", just swim, you'll get there eventually. seriously, breaststroke should be" stroke, stroke, pull (to breathe)". the crawl, figure out how many breathes you'll need to get to the end; the fewer the better as any lateral movements you make trying to breathe only slow you down.

of course you could do either stroke with you head totally out of the water. it takes a little more effort, but you're to focus on not taking in water.

you could also try showering every 20 minutes or so just to give you skin a break from all of the toxins.

and Allah knows best!

جوري
05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
firstly, and i mean no disrespect, but actually learning how to swim might help...just a wee bit!
You're absolutely right- that's not being disrespectful it is being truthful.. I usually take a mouthful of air and go underwater -- I love that feeling then surface again, I know it isn't conventional :haha:
it is the same feeling I get when I hide under the covers.. I imagine it is a longing for the womb or the grave take your pick =)

glo
05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Are you sure it's the goggles which cause your migraine?
I sometimes get a migraine-like headache after running and I have often wondered what might be the cause.
I have thought about dehydration.

ardianto
05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Are you sure it's the goggles which cause your migraine?
I sometimes get a migraine-like headache after running and I have often wondered what might be the cause.
I have thought about dehydration.
Swimming goggles is very tight because it must be able to prevent water from entering the eye. Wear it too long can indeed cause a headache

About dehydration. I never had been dehydrated in swimming because I was in the water.

I was a competitive swimmer when I was kid.

YusufNoor
05-23-2013, 05:54 PM
You're absolutely right- that's not being disrespectful it is being truthful.. I usually take a mouthful of air and go underwater -- I love that feeling then surface again, I know it isn't conventional :haha:
it is the same feeling I get when I hide under the covers.. I imagine it is a longing for the womb or the grave take your pick =)

it IS possible to "take a mouthful of air and go underwater" without ingesting any water! and preferable, one might say! ^o)

it's all in the breathing.

glo
05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
I never had been dehydrated in swimming because I was in the water.
Water only hydrates you if you drink it, not if you swim in it. :)

ardianto
05-24-2013, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Water only hydrates you if you drink it, not if you swim in it. :)
I know. But our bodies will lose many water as sweat when it's going hot. And water is a good cooler for swimmer's body.

I was a swimmer for competition when I was kid, and then I spent my teen age as motocycle racer (motocross and off road racing). I also raced in bicycle cross and soap box derby.

From my experiences that not in swimming, weather temperature greatly affect the level of dehydration. In race/practice under sun heat in dry season I lost many sweat and always very thirsty during the race. In rainy season, although I spent more energy because the track gone muddy, I was not too thirsty and sweaty because the weather cool enough, especialy when rain.

In swimming. As a swimmer for competition, of course I got hard training that spent much energy. But I did not dehydrated. Maybe because water is a good cooler for swimmer's body.

:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!