/* */

PDA

View Full Version : فلا أقسم meaning

Bint-e-Adam
04-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Assalam o Alaikum
i have often noticed about the meaning of
فلا أقسم
it has been occured in Quran more times.
what is it's arabic meaning in grammar???
i mean what is the grmamatically meaning of it?
as it is i think , negative phrase. But it is not :(
pls explain.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
04-17-2013, 09:26 AM
:ws:

This is taken from 'I'araab al-Qura'an of Sh. Muhyudeen al-Darwaysh.

Depending on the verse the faa can either be for the starting of a new sentence (istinaafiyyah), or can be for the answer to a previous condition (jawaab shart muqaddam). As for the laam then 'Allama Zamakshari :rh: mentions that this it is common in the arabic language to bring a laam before the verb of qasm, and it's benefit is to emphasise the qasm, however it does not give the meaning of negative (nafy).

Bint-e-Adam
04-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Shukran akhee.
JazakAllah khair.
it means whenever a Laa precedes a verb of QaSm, it do not means negative. instead it will emphasize the qasma. am i right?

'Abd al-Baari
04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeking_hidayat
Shukran akhee.
JazakAllah khair.
it means whenever a Laa precedes a verb of QaSm, it do not means negative. instead it will emphasize the qasma. am i right?
Yes, that's right.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sameer123
04-17-2013, 12:21 PM
wa alaikumussalaam.

The expression واللهِ is called qasam (oath). The statement following the qasam is called jawaabu l-qasam.
The full expression for qasam is أُقْسِمُ بِاللهِ.
In the Quran, whenever the word أُقْسِمُ is used there is a لا before that :
لا أُقْسِمُ
But please note that this لا is not related to أقسِمُ. Its لا by itself.
First we say "لا", and then we start with أُقسِمُ.
This لا is the negation of an idea that you want to negate. The verb أُقْسِمُ is مُثْبَت. It is not negative.

In the explanation of the verse ( لَا أُقْسِمُ بِهـٰذَا الْبَلَدِ ), Dr Abdur Rahim says :

The negative particle لا in لا أُقْسِمُ is not related to the verb أُقْسِمُ. It is used to refute the arguments of the opponent. So the meaning is, 'The matter is not as you say. I swear ...'

This لا is used by the Arabs even today. If you were to ask an Arab friend of yours what he thinks of your new suit, he would say, لا، واللهِ جَمِيلةٌ. This لا is used to remove the fear lurking in your mind that you might have been tricked into buying something of an inferior quality.

~End Quote~

Bint-e-Adam
04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Maa Shaa ALlah jazakAllah akhee, you have clarified my each and every point of confusion in it. :)
Shukran jazeelan

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!