/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Negativity About Islam and how to cope

faithandpeace
04-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Aassalamu alaikum everyone,

I have some concerns I want to address as someone who reverted a month ago. I feel like I am under complete attack (at least verbally - not physically alhamdulillah) with regards to Islam. Granted I have heard a rather steady diet of Islamophobia in general mainly from the media and from people here and there out and about in society since 9/11/01. Yet it is affecting me more now that I am Muslim. Most people know I am exploring Islam yet most people do not know yet that I actually reverted. Yet practically everytime the subject of Islam comes up in a conversation whether I or someone else is bringing it up, the emphasis is consistently negative. I am so bombared by the negativity that I seemingly cannot even respond without it becoming an all out angry argument. The few people who know I have reverted are trying to "help me" by warning me from staying away from "extremists, radicals, fundamentalists, etc." Yet in reality what they consider "extremist" is simply normal Islamic practice. People think that if you pray five times per day or that if you actually believe the Qur'an is the complete word of Allah or if you show any semblance of respect for Sharia that there is something wrong with you. People whether they know I've reverted or simply know I'm exploring Islam keep trying to act like they are "protecting me" yet the reality is their idea of an acceptable Muslim (or me being an acceptable Muslim) is to follow a watered-down Westernized castrated form of Islam that is so assimiliated into American culture that whatever it is that I would follow would be indistinguishable from anything else. Yet then I'm accused of being the judgmental one when I dare defend Islam.

I am asked, "You aren't actually thinking of wearing hijab are you?" Or, "I hope you don't start developing that us and them mentality and thinking less of everyone who is not Muslim." People who say they are open minded and supportive in reality have nothing good to say about Islam. They aren't commenting on the merits of various Islamic values or the spiritual benefit of salah or fasting. I've already been accused of "scaring people" into thinking that I'm going "to fall into the trap of jihad." For all I know people are already on the telephone to Homeland Security. Sadly, I already expect to lose people who I thought were good friends and then I am sure they will blame it on me. I haven't done anything that I am aware of to hurt anyone else or shove Islam down their throats. Yet I feel like they want me to never show any signs at all of being Muslim or following Islam yet to continue to listen to all of their negativity and complaints about Sharia and hijab and other things. These constant warnings about staying away from radicals and extremists and women's persecution, etc. is really getting old.

It frightens me because I've bearely even begun practicing Islam as I've only recently taken the Shahada and am in the learning phase of incorporating Islamic practices into my life one at a time as I come to understand them and yet it feels like a full scale war is being waged by so-called "caring and concerned friends" against my faith. Insha'Allah as I become more learned in Islam and incorporate more Islamic practices into my life I will be better prepared to deal with all of this stuff. Yet I feel like it is hard to even get any support. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this stuff? I know there are plenty of reverts here from the West including the U.S. and some sisters here too. How have you all dealt with it? I don't want to be paranoid yet I don't want to become the victim of violence either. Insha'Allah over time more and more people will know I am Muslim especially when insha'Allah I wear hijab full time. I already feel like I am about to be brought to tears over this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MustafaMc
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Assalamu alaikum, sister. I can fully relate to your situation as I myself went through a similar thing. I see that all of this is a test and I encourage you to stay the course you have chosen. I became a Muslim in 1982, but stopped practicing in 1985 in large part due to media association of Islam with terrorism. I decided to practice Islam again when I reached 40 at a most inopportune time - June 2001. This is my story: http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...tml#post694454

This thread was started from a speech I delivered on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ml#post1462739

I advise you to avoid discussions about tragic events apparently perpetrated by Muslims. These actions are not consistent with my understanding of Islam and I have not met any Muslims who supported and was happy about any terroristic action. Continue to grow in Islam at the pace you are comfortable with. I hope that one day soon you will be strong enough in your faith to wear full hijab and to be known as a Muslim. Wearing the scarf is an obvious identifier of a Muslimah and it can be quite intimidating for a new convert to Islam, particularly today in these turbulent times.

Naeema
04-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Asallam Aleikum Sister,

From what you wrote, it sounds very much like the struggle that I am in now. When I said I was exploring Islam, it was as if everyone around me suddenly became an evangelical Christian. My closest friends who knew that I was exploring Islam had long ago threatened to not speak to me should I choose that path. Some family (I have very little) have also said that I will become dead to them if this is my choice. I have no reason to believe that these people are joking or speaking in hyperbole. They present a moderate face to the world, but it's apparently different, to invite a muslim into their own home. They seem truly afraid and unsure what this really means in practice. All they know are terrible things from the news and the car driving issue. I can't get them to talk to me like a person. They have their own ideas of what is OK and what isn't. It's a mess.

Because of this pressure and my own fear of rejection, I took shahada in front of just one other person so that I could keep it quiet. I didn't tell anyone at all for two weeks - not even other muslim sisters. My best friend from childhood lives in another state, so I have not told her. We talk about other things, but not this because I cannot bear her cutting me off. I'm trying to make new friends among the sisters near me, but it's difficult. It's not like with the shahada came a bundle of new friends.

I already dress "weird" with long skirts and blouses. At some point, I will put on my hijab in the office. I wear it outside of work, but I haven't been able to "out myself" at the office yet. I honestly don't know when I'll be able to cross that final hurdle.

glo
04-22-2013, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by faithandpeace
"I hope you don't start developing that us and them mentality and thinking less of everyone who is not Muslim."
That might be a question I would ask myself - not as a criticism of Islam, but out of fear that I might lose a friend or a loved one, should their religion come between us.
perhaps people who ask this are just looking for affirmation that you will still be their friend.

I have heard enough stories from people who have converted to Islam to know how difficult it can be.

I hope that as you grow in your faith, your friends and family will relax and realise that you are still the same and they are not losing you.
Give yourself time.
Give those around you time.
Most of all, trust in God and in your own judgment.

I wish you every blessing on your new chosen path! :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
faithandpeace
04-24-2013, 02:53 AM
Jazakallah khair to all who responded. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one but wish no other brothers or sisters would have to go through this or worse. Alhamdulillah I haven't had it real bad. It just bothers me that in a society where people are supposed to be open-minded and multi-cultural the reality is fear and paranoia. I can't even say the word "Islam" in a restaurant without heads from other tables turning around and rudely staring. When people attack Islam I don't even know how to defend it. Everything positive I say in Islam's defense is responded to by more attacks or they change the subject to avoid dealing with my defense only to later go on the attack again.

If my friends are worried about Islam getting between me and them then it is their responsibility to not engage in disparaging comments about Islam and Muslims. When I took the Shahada I did so with the expectation that I will try my best to put Allah first in all aspects of my life. Insha'Allah I will make sure to always respect others. Yet I cannot be in submission to other people at the expense of submitting to Allah and expect to be a good Muslimah. I feel like people are trying to make me doubt my decision to embrace Islam and distract me from my imaan. Maybe I do need to give it more time but I feel like I do need to be cautioya in how I relate to others who may not have good intentions for me.

جوري
04-24-2013, 03:38 AM
yes we all have it bad and rather unbearable at times.. It takes your breath away.. Sadly I get heated conversations with 'Muslims' who proclaim 99% of Muslims are terrorists. I quote them articles saying 94% of attacks on U.S soil were by non-Muslims and they don't want to believe it, or they believe the others have a less impact.. no thought at all to how the media manipulates the herd.. Fighting with non-Muslims is draining enough but to get Muslims like that too well sob7an Allah it is a destruction from within..
we can all totally relate to you... no matter where we are in faith or practice.. I think they're preemptively prepping people for WWIII and of course prepping them not to feel anything at all to the death of us, just given how many of us die everyday whether in Burma (which is being rewarded) or Syria or Afghanistan etc. etc.
I have seen some awful disgusting cheers on the ten o'clock news today against Muslims (and no it wasn't fox) and the inflammatory almost rabid tongue of the reporter.. We have to be ready because they're in fact so rabid and foaming!
may :Allah::swt: grant us success, prosperity and victory..
ameen

:w:

Ahmad H
04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
As salamu 'ayakum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu sister,

I am not a revert. I have always been a practicing Muslim. But I can say that I am hurt by what everyone else says about Islam all the time. I have had times when I discussed these matters and felt very worried.

My advice to you is that information is power. The more you know, the more you can respond. When you are able to respond then you will become more of an influence rather than your friends influencing you.

I know exactly what you are talking about when you say that people are negative when they hear about Islam. I deliver pamphlets about Islam door-to-door and I try to preach the peaceful teachings of Islam to try and eradicate the false and negative views on it. But all I see are most people who don't want to hear about it. Sometimes, I see people rushing out to meet me who want to know more about Islam, and other times I get the door slammed in my face. Once, I was called a terrorist for distributing a pamphlet saying "Islam is Peace" and had the door shut on me. It was very hurtful. But I realized that it could compensate for some of my sins, so I gladly accepted it. In fact, I try to tell this often to other Muslims so that they can be motivated to speak out more.

I say don't stay hidden, show more of how you are a true Muslim. You won't be persecuted in the West like the minorities in Muslim countries are persecuted for not being Muslim. So don't worry. Accept every insult you receive with gladness. Everything anyone says in harshness to you with regards to you being Muslim, if accepted graciously, will be rewarded by Allah. Don't reproach them with taunts like they do to you. Accept it. Just remember that we have it really good compared to how the earliest Muslims had it, when they were spat on, had stones thrown at them, cursed at, killed in the streets, tortured, etc. We have it really good in the West. Just keep on being a good Muslimah and they whether anyone else accepts you or not, that is for them to deal with. You should only be concerned with what Allah wants from you.

Just keep on learning about Islam. Again, information is power. I can't stress that enough.

IAmZamzam
04-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Dude, are you sure that the reason for those people's attitude isn't that you're doing this door-to-door? I know that when Jehovah's Witnesses show up at my door my feelings aren't exactly rosy whereas had they approached me in public things would probably be very different. It's like being called up at home by a telemarketer. That's how the average person feels in such a scenario.

Ahmad H
04-25-2013, 12:04 AM
You would think so. But that only happened once. I still find that the majority of the people here in the West would rather see us Muslims speak up about Islam being peaceful, rather than be silent and condone the violence which is being perpetrated in its name. You choose what you think is best. Door to door works in some ways because these people get a face to the Muslims who are trying to establish peace. Besides, I just spread pamphlets to spread the message that Islam is peaceful, not for the purpose of conversion. The whole point is to steer people's minds away from the negative resentment.

If we stood silent and did not speak up about how terrorism is wrong, then we moderate Muslims (in fact, Islam is moderation) would be just as guilty. We have to speak up even louder when bombs go off which tarnish the beautiful message. Our mission is to eradicate the negative sentiments, not to sell something like the Jehovah's witnesses do or the telemarketers do. To spread the message that Islam is peace is better than to be silent. No matter how you look at it, that is the best method of approach to the problem. You can't do everything on the internet. Too many anti-Islamic websites.

IAmZamzam
04-25-2013, 02:25 AM
If you say so. I guess. But I've had a funny feeling sneaking up on me that even if someone were to walk out of his door one morning and be deluged with flyers about Islam being a religion of peace, emerge from them gasping for breath, encounter ten friendly Muslims chatting with each other over how unfortunate they found the recent bombing to be while he was on his way to the mailbox, hear three different commentaries from Muslims passionately speaking out against terrorism on the news while he eats breakfast, hear five more on the radio while he's in the car, run into an Islamic doorman at the foot of his office building who greets him with a, "Salaam, sir! Shame about that bombing, wasn't it? Some people will do the most horrendous things to innocent Americans, I tell you..." and later that day encounters a Muslim co-worker, he'll still start yelling Islamophobic slurs at him, and sooner or later the inevitable will still come up: "Why haven't I seen any of you people condemning these terrorist acts, huh? HUH? HUH??!!" It's not really a belief so much as a defense mechanism, a justification for their bigotry, and so the very last thing they're concerned with is some piddling trifle like whether it's actually true, whether they've actually seen any evidence. There are condemnations all over the place already. They just don't bother to look for it. What they're saying may as well not have any literal meaning at all. It's just one more variation of pitch and volume and timbre in the way the dog is barking angrily and fearfully at any foreign-looking kind of dog that dares come near its turf.

Ahmad H
04-25-2013, 10:40 PM
You should give people the benefit of the doubt. That is what the Holy Prophet (saw) would have done. He kept giving the benefit of the doubt even when he had stones thrown at him. He figured at least the later generations of those people who stoned him would become Muslim.

I may be wrong, but the impression you give me is that we bombard the West with our apologies about what happened. Rather, they see the opposite. They look to the media to find out what Muslims do, and that gives a bad impression because it shows that they celebrate these disasters because of anti-Western sentiment. All the more reason why we need to keep up the flow of information.

Whether they bother to look for it or not is not your concern. If you keep trying to show them the true face of Islam, whether in practice in everyday life or in telling them what Islam really is, then keep doing it. If they reject it, then they reject it. But don't give up before trying and say, "Oh well. They'll reject it." This isn't the attitude we should have. We should do our part as well by not trying to view the West so negatively.

To be honest, I have a lot of hope for the West. I believe the "sun rising in the West" means just that. The sun of Islam will rise amongst them, and they will inherit a good part of Islam which they have been left out of for many centuries. Don't you think it was about time that Allah gave them a chance anyways? Perhaps He is giving them a chance by allowing us to live here and preach freely. Any of the Muslims who live in the West have a duty as Muslims to convince the Westerners of the true face of Islam. They should eradicate the perspective that Al-Qaeda and Taliban are representatives of Islam, and take the foothold for themselves.

Another reason why you shouldn't be so hasty to denounce people is that you should also look for the good things in them. There is a Hadith of the Holy Prophet (saw) where he pointed out five good traits amongst the Romans. Why would he do this? For whatever reason otherwise, after many centuries, we can look back at this saying of his (saw), and see that he looked for the good in people, not the evil. Despite people's evils, he went on trying to show them the right path. We have a duty in our being submissive to Allah to show that submissiveness to Him is a positive thing, not a negative thing.

IAmZamzam
04-25-2013, 11:43 PM
It's not an east/west thing by any means. It's just that if someone anywhere is already prejudiced then there's not much you can do. That's it. It's done. It's in God's hands. The common sense you're speaking in this kind of situation is coming across like a completely radical idea. You're scrambling their circuits, kiddo. Prejudice is a kind of delusion and delusional people are infamous for being impossible to reason with. Nor can influencing them emotionally be easily done. Their preexisting emotions have too strong a hold on them. It may be possible if you know the fellow personally and are around him a whole lot but a meeting of a few minutes is simply not good enough. So why shouldn't I say, "Oh, well, they'll just reject it"? The only people it tends to be any use explaining the true nature of Islam to are people who are still wavering, who are just not sure and are willing to admit their own ignorance (or who are already Muslim, perhaps, and are having a crisis of faith).

Ahmad H
04-26-2013, 04:25 AM
You completely missed my point. Because you reiterated back to me and didn't realize I already made that point. What I said is exactly that, you go out and you tell others the true message of Islam. I am not telling you to shove the truth down their throats, but when you come across a negative view on Islam, then counter it. If you like giving up on enjoining good and forbidding evil, then that's your problem. I would rather be obedient to Allah and spread the true meaning of His message to those who lack this understanding.

I think you have the impression as if I am going to people's doors and pestering them by making them talk with me. I am speaking about a great variety of forms of reaching out to people and telling them the truthful aspects of Islam. If you want to let people speak badly about Islam and say nothing against it, then be my guest. Allah will question you on the Day of Judgment about why you didn't speak up. If you sit silent, then you agree with terrorist attacks in the name of Islam. It doesn't matter what YOU think they think, it matters that you act accordingly.

Your whole idea of what I do (which you don't seem to understand) is that I shove Islam down people's throats. Not true. I said above that I have seen people to whose houses I dropped off pamphlets run out to try and catch me so they can speak with me about Islam. I have seen this for others who have dropped off pamphlets as well at people's doors. Perhaps some people will turn away. That is the nature of Dawah. A lot of people turned away from the Holy Prophet (saw). So what are you so scared of that you think what I am doing is wrong then? Whether they listen or not, you must still preach. Allah will deal with them.

IAmZamzam
04-26-2013, 01:24 PM
On the contrary there perhaps isn’t one single point I’ve made that you haven’t missed. So far you have taken me to have:

* Believed this to be about the West, and not human beings in general
* Thought that Muslims are too much in the vein of apologizing over what happened
* Accused you of positively hounding people at their doors, instead of merely questioning if you might be appearing in the first place in the sort of forum where they would rather not be approached even for one single second (you didn’t mention until now anything about “dropping off pamphlets”: does that mean without ringing the doorbell and meeting the homeowner in person?)
* Making some point that you’ve already made yourself (although since I frankly don’t know what you’re talking about here I admit I may have missed something)

I’m beginning to wonder if you and I can communicate at all.

Let me put it this way then: when have you ever succeeded in…un-prejudice-ing...someone? I don’t mean someone who didn’t care very much and just blindly accepted what they’d heard in the media because they’d never really thought about it before. I mean a really bad case, a deeply hateful person. Tell me about one single occasion. Preferably not a family member or anyone like that. Say someone you met door-to-door.

IAmZamzam
04-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Brother, I apologize. The one Koranic command I most have a problem bearing in mind may be, "Avoid much suspicion, for suspicion is in many cases a sin". You have to admit, though, it can be very tricky to pull that off, what with us being entombed at all times and in every direction, around, above and below, by mile-high walls of closed minds in every walk of life. Or is that just me? Has battling monsters made me become one myself?

Ahmad H
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IAmZamzam
Let me put it this way then: when have you ever succeeded in…un-prejudice-ing...someone? I don’t mean someone who didn’t care very much and just blindly accepted what they’d heard in the media because they’d never really thought about it before. I mean a really bad case, a deeply hateful person. Tell me about one single occasion. Preferably not a family member or anyone like that. Say someone you met door-to-door.
Alright. Fair enough. You are right that I have not communicated to you fairly. I apologize if I came off too harsh before. I haven't been a good Muslim brother to you. Please forgive me.

I should have clarified that I drop off pamphlets at people's doors without ringing the door bell. This way they receive the pamphlets. I skip houses that say "No soliciting" or the ones that indicate in writing that they don't want anything to do with religion. I avoid those.

On very rare occasions I go to the door and ring the doorbell. I never found anyone who is negative who wants to talk. That happens, and they already have a great prejudice. That is the one case where as you said, it may be pointless. Nevertheless, I keep a very mellow attitude when I deal with everyone of any type of attitude. So no, those people cannot hold a discussion. Neither would I want them to. I go to their houses to give them a pamphlet to take and read over so they can begin to ponder on Islam. Not to forcibly get into a discussion with them.

There are other cases, where I ring the doorbell, someone comes out, and they see the pamphlet and listen to what I say, which is "Hello. I am in the neighborhood today and I am stopping by to drop off these pamphlets about Islam. (Not exactly what I say, but I make something on the spot which is to the same effect) I wanted to hand this to you, will you accept? (I usually phrase it so that I am not forcibly giving it, but I offer it to them like a gift)" If they say no, I go on my way. If they say yes, then they take it and I say, "Thank you. Have a nice day." No Salaam, nothing. I am just someone bearing a message and spreading it. I sometimes tell them when they ask me, "Why are you spreading these?" I tell them, "To spread the information that Islam is a peaceful religion and to eradicate the negative views which people have concerning it." In a situation like when there was the movie made on the Holy Prophet (saw) which was disgusting and vile and caught a lot of media attention, I went to spread pamphlets on the Holy Prophet (saw).

As for being called a terrorist, that was a one-time thing. Other times I have went to some people's homes and they shared with me how they already knew Muslims and they share a very positive view on them. They discussed with me how they know Islam is peaceful already, so I usually listen to what they have to say and then I part with a nice goodbye and ask them if they still want a pamphlet or not. If not, then I leave having full confidence that there are Muslims who have been doing a good job in their submission to Allah by showing the true righteousness which is required by all of us. If we are good to our neighbors and friends, then the peaceful message of Islam will spread.

On two or three occasions (very few since I seldom ring doorbells like I mentioned above), I have some people who discuss Islam with me on a few of the matters. The questions vary, but I discuss with them how sectarian violence is wrong (if they ask about it), and I discuss the varying viewpoints of Muslims and other key issues which they wanted to figure out. These people always take the pamphlets because they research on Islam themselves. These are the kind of people who when I find them, they are the ones the message I am sending out was truly meant to reach. They are the ones who, because they learned more about Islam than others, will probably convert in the future (because usually this is why some of them research it) or they will reach some undecided stance. If they themselves become negative towards Islam, then it is by Allah's Will, and there is nothing I can do about it. I still did my task as a Muslim and I delivered whatever I could of Allah's message.

Now, with that being said. If you thought I was out to target the very negative people by ringing their doorbells and discussing Islam with them or changing their minds in that one encounter, then that is false. I try to give them the pamphlet to read, not discuss. I say hello to them and talk with them to give them a face to look at. Hopefully Allah gives me the ability to give the best impression. This is why I try to say as much Durood as I can while doing these tasks. I only ask for His help in being able to give the message by the pamphlets, not by verbal discussion. if the person I encounter wishes to speak about anything, then I simply respond to anything they say. If they are going to unload their negative sentiments onto me about Islam, then in that case I will let them do it and simply ask Allah that they be guided. I cannot change anyone's heart, but only Allah does that. If you think I attempt to change anyone that quickly, then I think you need to think again. I believe only a Prophet or a person very close to God like a saint could have that effect. I am no one.

in short, only Allah can un-prejudice someone. I merely try to initiate the chance to un-prejudice them with a slight "push" if you may. "There is no compulsion in religion" (2:256) after all. So I act like I tread on thin ice when I do Dawah to people. Better to be silent than say something wrong and regret it for eternity.

Ahmad H
04-26-2013, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IAmZamzam
Brother, I apologize. The one Koranic command I most have a problem bearing in mind may be, "Avoid much suspicion, for suspicion is in many cases a sin". You have to admit, though, it can be very tricky to pull that off, what with us being entombed at all times and in every direction, around, above and below, by mile-high walls of closed minds in every walk of life. Or is that just me? Has battling monsters made me become one myself?
No, i should apologize to you. i wasn't very nice to you either. We are all supposed to be brothers here. May Allah forgive both of us if we wronged each other. If we love each other for the sake of Allah at least, then we have done our task as Muslims. I definitely do love you and everyone else for the sake of Allah. We are all human.

No, you are not a monster. As for what you mean by pulling off that trick, I think you mean speaking to people to remove negative sentiments. No one can remove these themselves. But we have to try. Allah is our Helper. We have to do du'a to Him and work in His way. If we suffer at the hands of others, then what does it matter? Everyone's insults in this life means nothing in the grand scheme of things. We bear our own burdens, not anyone else's.

My whole point here is to try to convince you that you shouldn't give up trying to remove the deceit against Islam. There is a lot of ugly talk against Allah, His Prophet, the Messengers in general, against Angels, Heaven and Hell, doing good and avoiding evil, acting as a righteous Muslim, the laws in Islam, the history of Islam, the wives of the Holy Prophet (saw), his companions, etc. Where to start? The best place to start is by praying, and then trying to denounce the lies against Islam one by one however you can. Do it on news forums, youtube, writing a blog, speaking to people, writing in newspapers, writing editorials (I have done this, but I can't remember what I published), setting up a website, denouncing anti-Islamic websites, etc. There are a lot of ways to do this. Don't give up before you try.

Right now, a lot of Muslims in the Middle East are preoccupied with a lot of political problems and turmoil because they have been thrown into miserable circumstances. i don't know if it is all ultimately perpetrated by the West, but I know a lot of it does have to do with them. So we are being killed left and right, and no one cares about it. Then, our religion is attacked. If we can't win our own countries from the power of the West, then why let them take the dignity of our faith away? If we denounce the hatred against Islam, then we can try and establish peace and move forward. This might help our brothers in the East. It is a longshot by it is worth a shot.

Naeema
04-26-2013, 08:27 PM
As someone who has struggled to find community, I was at first dismayed by how this thread had turned (like so many others can here!) but, subhan'Allah, the way you each have apologized has restored a bit of my faith in humanity. May Allah bless you both.

faithandpeace
04-27-2013, 04:26 AM
Jazakallah khair to the two brothers here who provided such insight and ultimately put aside any initial misunderstandings, disagreement, and ego and positively came together as brothers. I feel like these attacks on Islam risk dividing Muslims from each other. I believe the Prophet (pbuh) encouraged us according to Allah's (swt) will to be one ummah. Whether male or female, old or young, revert or born Muslim, beginner or scholar, we should stand together as brothers and sisters in Islam setting aside petty differences and living and acting for Allah's (swt) sake only.

Perhaps my focus needs to be to continue to learn and grow in Salat. I am not educated enough yet to be confident in doing da'awa. Prayer brings me intense inner peace and insha'Allah as I grow in Salat, I will with Allah's (swt) help be better prepared to deal with negativity against Islam and more effective in my response.

IAmZamzam
04-29-2013, 03:46 AM
Jazak allahu khayran is wa iyyaakum, faithandpeace! I hope you get through the unpleasant early days as a muslimah you've been describing all right. May the only tough choice you ever have to experience again be, "Year 52,28,92,321,288,023,441,166,089,002, day 72 in Paradise and gee, I just can't decide which river to chug from this morning: milk, wine, honey or water. Decisions, decisions, decisions!" (Just to spare you the trouble that's about fifty-two-and-a-quarter octillions.)

faithandpeace
04-30-2013, 04:52 AM
Should I be concerned about safety right now with all of this negativity in society? I am quite concerned but don't like being paranoid either. Insha'Allah as a new revert I am expecting to wear hijab at least part time soon (perhaps in a few weeks) and I have heard some sisters in the U.S. have already been physically attacked recently. imsad

greenhill
04-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Salaam to all,

This is the reality of the world we live in. There are all sorts that make up this world of ours.

Most of the points have been mentioned. There is another point, hijrah, to a place more conducive to the lifestyle you want to lead. It is a hard choice. But it is harder still to swim against the current.

You're accountable for your actions, Alhamdulillah that you realise this and also the consequence it will have with your circle. Eventually, you will have to make a choice.

On the negativity side, this is the story I tell, briefly, indulge me;D

When the first Book arrived, The Torah was too heavy! But its quintessential message was to do unto others what you would expect others to do unto you. If you can't abide by that, be prepared for the consequences. Like if you hit someone, they have their right to hit you back! (With interest;D)

When the Psalms or Zabur came with David, it had a lighter message, to appreciate the bounty of God, to give thanks.

The Bible's message really gave a higher level of being to any previous revelations. That was the power to forgive. It laid the seed to end generational feuds.

If people could be appreciative of their blessings, and treat people how they like to be treated, and can forgive each other, the time was right to send the final revelation, the Quran, a summary of prophets and their repeated messages but more essentially about how to live in a community. Message complete. We are now a global community.

I am a muslim from a different part of the world and I definitely say that the Jews rebelled against Mosaic laws,
when Jesus was sent to correct them they dismissed him and subsequently plotted against him. Rather than being one religion of God, it became two. When our prophet was sent with the Quran, he too was rejected, making it 3 religions as opposed to one. But it all comes from one source, and only the Quran has remained authentic. Allahu akhbar

Mukafi7
04-30-2013, 07:14 PM
ASAS Brothers and Sisters,

The way I see it, people are afraid of the unknown. First, most people do not know what Islam is. Second, the media does its best to demonize Islam. When people are not offered another alternative, then they buy what they see and hear in the media. So, it is incumbent upon us to offer another view of what Islam truly is. How you ask? first, we should lead by example. Being vocal in supporting the truth, justice, higher morals and ethics....After all, this is how Islam dictates for us to lead our lives. Don't get me wrong, there wil always be the ones that refuse to accept reason and will never accept Islam as the religion of peace. Don't waste your time on them! The more you try the more you prove the to be right (at least in their own mind). It iwll always be an uphill battle, but the harder you work at it, the more rewarding it will be in the end. I hope this helps!

JAK

IAmZamzam
04-30-2013, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by faithandpeace
Should I be concerned about safety right now with all of this negativity in society? I am quite concerned but don't like being paranoid either. Insha'Allah as a new revert I am expecting to wear hijab at least part time soon (perhaps in a few weeks) and I have heard some sisters in the U.S. have already been physically attacked recently. imsad
What you've heard about is a very few isolated cases. (The U.S., remember, is the third largest country on Earth.) I doubt the odds are very high of it happening to you in particular--much as with any other sort of crime. But if you know the risk and you put it on anyway and get attacked, just think of the bounty you'll get for it hereafter! Google "Graham's number" and think of that in millennia spent in heaven. And then remember that the ratio of infinity to anything is still infinity.

faithandpeace
04-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Jazakallah khair. I guess it really comes down to a test on imaan and setting priorities straight. It is easy to worry about what others think and have fear of the unknown risks but can be hard to put one's convictions into action in the face of opposition. I am sure that my struggle though is much easier than many others, especially those who lived in the day of the Prophet (pbuh). As I begin to dress more Islamically I'll be sure insha'Allah to post any relevant experiences I have.

جوري
04-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Al-Imran (The Family of Imran)[3:111]

[RECITE]
[top] [next match]

Lan yadurrookum illa athan wain yuqatilookum yuwallookumu aladbara thumma la yunsaroona
3:111 They will do you no harm, barring a trifling annoyance; if they come out to fight you, they will show you their backs, and no help shall they get.

In fact most of those people who talk and harass you with words or deeds are mere cowards, easily fought back if you want to descend down to their level but you're above it.

:w:

faithandpeace
05-01-2013, 03:04 AM
That is reassuring to know that most Islamophobes are "paper tigers" insha'Allah. The same ignorant people who accuse Muslims of being "us and them" are often the ones doing that themselves. It is such a waste of time dealing with people whose sole purpose is to stop, distract, or slow you down from reaching your goals. Look at how some act on this forum. The time wasted listening to people who are ultimately opponents of Islam no matter how much they try to pretend otherwise could be spent doing productive Islamic learning or even just going outside, enjoying the sunshine, and experiencing Allah's (swt) creation. I guess the same applies out in the world. For the most part I don't have to listen to their opinions. At the end of the day, I guess it really comes down to who is your chosen association. My goal is to be Allah (swt) -conscious in my daily life, not dog-conscious. Insha'Allah I will become wiser at determining who means me well and who means me harm and making the appropriate adjustments.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!