/* */

PDA

View Full Version : As Salamu Alaykum my question is about Alcohol ?

truthseeker63
04-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Since Alcohol has some Benefits why is Alcohol/Gambling/Games of Chance haram and not Medicine which can also be Intoxicant if you take too many Pills ? Drinking Water Coffee Soda and other things can be Intoxicant as well why Alcohol the only Intoxicant that is haram like Drugs ? By the way I was not allowed to drink Alcohol even before I became a Muslim since I have Depression and take Anti Depressant Pills/Medication Drinking Alcohol wuould make my Depression worse thank you ?

Quran 2:219

Sahih International
They ask you about wine and gambling. Say, "In them is great sin and [yet, some] benefit for people. But their sin is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they should spend. Say, "The excess [beyond needs]." Thus Allah makes clear to you the verses [of revelation] that you might give thought.

http://quran.com/2/219

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
04-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Drinking coffee or soda does not eliminate our awareness. Unlike the alcohol that made ​​up our minds out of control and eventually we will do forbidden or shameful things. This is why alcoholic beverage is haram.

Of course I know about it because, yeah, there was a time when I drank alcohol and used drug. Alhamdulillah, I have left it since long time ago.

By the way, I write this this post while drink a cup of coffe. :)

Ahmad H
04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Every intoxicant is considered haram in Islam. So any drug, thus whatever changes the state of one's own mind, is Haram. Prescription drugs are not Haram, but yes, taking them more than one needs is harmful for one, and two, it is suicidal. Both of those are wrong, as we aren't supposed to cause unnecessary harm to our bodies. We will be questioned about our bodies on the Day of Judgment.

As for if alcohol would make your depression worse or not, you should ask a doctor about that. But either way, the advise from all of us Muslims at this forum is to stay away from alcohol altogether and never sip from it. What intoxicates in large amounts is also Haram in small amounts. Those who drink alcohol in this life, will not drink of it in the Hereafter. And those who drink alcohol in this life till their death, or if they give alcohol to a minor to drink, who doesn't know what is Halal or Haram, it will be incumbent on them to be punished by drinking from the pus of the other people in Hell who are punished.

Also, when one drinks alcohol, their prayers are diminished for forty days. I don't know if this means the reward is lessened or considered non-existent. Allah knows best. This is what I have seen from Ahadith. So if there is even a thought about moving towards drinking alcohol, then please stop. You really don't want to suffer in the Hereafter for it.

CosmicPathos
04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
No one drinks alcohol for medicinal purposes. We all know ppl drink it to get drunk. let's be real here ok, paparika.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IAmZamzam
04-29-2013, 11:26 PM
No one drinks alcohol for medicinal purposes. We all know ppl drink it to get drunk.

Actually in ancient times it was used for medicinal purposes, at least in cases of surgery (especially emergency surgery). Remember that they didn't exactly have much in the way of advanced anesthetics then. You had to take what you could get. Just like cocaine was used mainly as a painkiller before the invention of novacaine. That's how people discovered in the first place that it could make for a recreational drug. But these functions are obsolete--mostly. If you should find yourself stranded in the middle of the wilderness someday and you need to pull a metal rod out of your leg and pour bactine into the wound and there's nothing around to deaden the unutterable pain with but your dead hiking partner's bottle of whiskey, I'm sure you'll be forgiven in the hereafter for taking a deep swig or two.

Logikon
05-01-2013, 01:49 AM
It is strange to me that Muslims cannot drink on earth but can do so in paradise.

So, maybe in paradise you don't get drunk?

So, is it OK to drink grape juice on earth? (Also known as non-alcaholic wine).

ardianto
05-01-2013, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Logikon
It is strange to me that Muslims cannot drink on earth but can do so in paradise.

So, maybe in paradise you don't get drunk?
Who wants to get drunk if we were in paradise? :D

There is a lot of fun in paradise that we can enjoy. With a situation like this we will never have the desire to get drunk because we want to enjoy all the fun in paradise with the conscious mind.

Do you know? thing that helped me to leave alcohol, marijuana and drugs are recreational activities. I enjoyed these activities and realize that the world is more enjoyable if we are always in a conscious state.

So, is it OK to drink grape juice on earth? (Also known as non-alcaholic wine).
It's OK

gord
05-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Most people I know don't drink because they want to get drunk. Many people enjoy the taste of a good red wine with dinner. Others a beer while watching baseball and having a burger.

جوري
05-01-2013, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IAmZamzam
much in the way of advanced anesthetics then
They had opium, older, more natural, more effective and non synthesized!

best,

IAmZamzam
05-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Have you read The Qur’an, Logikon?

“A cup from a gushing spring is brought round from them, white, delicious to the drinkers, wherein there is no headache nor are they made mad thereby” (Surah 37, verses 45-47, Pickthall)

Certainly we can drink grape juice.

IAmZamzam
05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Most people I know don't drink because they want to get drunk. Many people enjoy the taste of a good red wine with dinner. Others a beer while watching baseball and having a burger.

Does that make it any better? You might as well say, "Most people I know don't take acid so that they can trip. They just take a tiny little bit so that they can get a little bit of a low-plateau buzz from it while they're going about their routine at home." Or, "None of my friends down enough Demerol so that they're stuck in bed acting like zombies for six hours. They just take three times what the doctor prescribed or so. It doesn't really get in the way." A drug is a drug is a drug. Sure alcohol is more legal than most--but in America that's only because the government has already tried and failed miserably to make outlawing it stick in the past. And we're talking about common sense and ethics, not legalities.

gord
05-01-2013, 04:16 PM
You are comparing a glass of wine with dinner to taking acid or abusing prescription drugs? I don't see the connection. I assume you have never had a glass of wine?

جوري
05-01-2013, 04:31 PM
What intoxicates in high amount is forbidden in small amount and as already stated yes it does have little benefits but the SIN is greater than the benefit.
You do it because :Allah::swt: said so, and for no other reason no matter how convincing or compelling that reason maybe!

Al-Imran (The Family of Imran)[3:31]

[RECITE]
[top] [next match]

Qul in kuntum tuhibboona Allaha faittabiAAoonee yuhbibkumu Allahu wayaghfir lakum thunoobakum waAllahu ghafoorun raheemun
3:31 Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

If you love :Allah::swt: and know that he only commands good, then you don't have to spend a lifetime in justification of his commandments!

best,

sister herb
05-01-2013, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by gord
You are comparing a glass of wine with dinner to taking acid or abusing prescription drugs? I don't see the connection. I assume you have never had a glass of wine?
Remember that all alcoholics have some day started by "one innocent glass of wine".

ardianto
05-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I know. I drank different kind of alcoholic beverages, depend on my purpose to drink, to get drunk or just to enjoy the hanging out time.

But Alhamdulillah, now I never drink alcoholic beverages again. There are many kind of non-alcoholic beverages that I can enjoy. So, if I have many permissible choice, why should I drink something that forbidden in my religion?

:)

gord
05-01-2013, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
Remember that all alcoholics have some day started by "one innocent glass of wine".
Not everyone who has one glass becomes an alcoholic. Just like not all people to take pain killers become addicted to them or not everyone who eats some cheeseburgers become a glutton.

I of course understand that it is forbidden in Islam to consume alcohol, and that is fine. Just saw a lot of threads on here where people (who I assume have never drank) assume people just drink to get drunk and that's it. Just wanted to correct that myth.

sister herb
05-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Not everyone who has one glass becomes an alcoholic.
How did i know I will get kind of answer? Yes true but those whose become, will at one day curse they first glass.

gord
05-01-2013, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
How did i know I will get kind of answer? Yes true but those whose become, will at one day curse they first glass.
I can't deny that. ;D

IAmZamzam
05-01-2013, 06:30 PM
You are comparing a glass of wine with dinner to taking acid or abusing prescription drugs? I don’t see the connection. I assume you have never had a glass of wine?

I’ve already made it quite explicit that I was comparing it only with completely equivalent amounts and effect levels from those same drugs—and yet all you see is the drugs in question themselves. Your cultural biases are showing. We are taught by society to believe that alcohol isn’t really a drug, except maybe in some purely pedantic, semantic way, but all objective scientific fact says otherwise. In fact it is in some ways worse than many conventional drugs like abused prescription painkillers. Just to prove how biased you are, your assumption is blind and wrong: I have, in my lesser days, abused alcohol, painkillers, and hallucinogens. In fact I can't be altogether certain I've never been on them all at the same time.

Not everyone who has one glass becomes an alcoholic. Just like not all people to take pain killers become addicted to them or not everyone who eats some cheeseburgers become a glutton.

But why have that one glass? Why take such a massive risk when all there ever is to be gained by it is a forty-five-minute-long fuzzy feeling?

faithandpeace
05-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Assalamu alaikum. Even if someone's intent is to just have a drink or two in a social setting or with a meal and not for the purposes of becoming intoxicated and even if the end result is that the alcohol is not enough to render intoxication, it is still haram. Alcohol is not needed to survive in most cases. I assume it would be permitted in a life threatening emergency such as someone bleeding severely and using topical alcohol as an anesthetic or drinking it until they can get to life-saving water. Someone who is more knowledgable in this area can please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ahmad H
05-02-2013, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by faithandpeace
Assalamu alaikum. Even if someone's intent is to just have a drink or two in a social setting or with a meal and not for the purposes of becoming intoxicated and even if the end result is that the alcohol is not enough to render intoxication, it is still haram. Alcohol is not needed to survive in most cases. I assume it would be permitted in a life threatening emergency such as someone bleeding severely and using topical alcohol as an anesthetic or drinking it until they can get to life-saving water. Someone who is more knowledgable in this area can please correct me if I'm wrong.
I may not be more knowledgeable, but I do believe that this is the same case with pork. If in the very rare situation there was no food except pork, and you could not stay alive unless you had to eat it, then you would have to eat it to stay live until you could eventually eat what is Halal and stay alive on that. The point is not that the food is Haram and you must die rather than eat it if your life depended on it, but you must survive to pray another day in this life so you can submit to Allah for a longer lifetime.

Similarly, I would think if your life depended on it, then you would have to consume that necessary amount of alcohol. The point is to be able to pray another day. One of the reasons why we aren't allowed to drink alcohol is because if we are intoxicated then we cannot pray, since we aren't in our full senses. It is Haram nevertheless, but if there was a pressing need and there was no way out of it, then I honestly don't see how it affects our being Muslim, since we aren't supposed to commit suicide either. Thus, rather than committing suicide, we have to consume these Haram things for the sake of performing Halal deeds for a lot longer.

For me as well, if anyone sees something going against this based on some good clear evidence, I would like to see it.

Insaanah
05-02-2013, 12:47 PM
:sl:

No other drug has the same catastrophic effect on society as a whole, globally, as alcohol. No other drug, contributes to the same amount of disorder, violent crime, domestic abuse, one-night stands, rapes, murders, road rage, assaults, anti-social behaviour, damage to property, damage to one self (a whole compendium can be written on it's adverse effects on various parts of the body) and to others around you, as alcohol. Any minor benefit it might have is heavily outweighed by it's negative and potentially serious effects on health and society.

Islam takes a preventative approach to problems in society. When something is forbidden, then the avenues leading to it are also forbidden. It makes no difference how many people worldwide can "safely" handle a glass of alcohol.

Aside from this, and even without all this, if Allah declared it haraam, it is haraam.

And Allah knows best.

greenhill
05-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Salaam Truthseeker63.

You quoted 2:219 whereby the play of words spun me round and got me squirmming. We all know already it is haram, .....but.. why ...the ...'benefits'..?..not something like 'folly' for the lack of a better word. But benefit it is. And the sin is greater than the benefit. Really, then there is no benefit, even with the excesses. It's a test. Unless the benefit of it is health.

Just my thoughts. Peace

IAmZamzam
05-02-2013, 04:18 PM
The benefits are the test. And very unfortunately intoxicants do have their upsides, both socially and neurologically. Even the trick they pull on us artistic types--making us think that they can enhance our performance, boost our creativity, give us good ideas--is only 80 or 90 percent an illusion. Much like the "you'll work better if you're up all night" trick: there is a weird grain of truth to it somehow. But of course is that any excuse for the havoc it'll wreak on your mind and body and livelihood? As Popeye put it in that somewhat underrated movie, "Wrong is wrong even when it helps you."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!