/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Nikah mut'ah

glo
05-13-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't know how true and representative this article is, but I had not really been aware of a temporary marriage in Islam until I read it.
Can somebody tell me more about nikah mut'ah? I.e. in what circumstances it is (or used to be) used. The article suggests that it was only used in the past at times when men travelled far and/or went to war.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22354201

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
05-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Greetings glo,

The article gives the answer:

'There is a sectarian divide among Muslims on temporary marriage. The mut'ah is practised by Shia Muslims while Sunni Muslims generally consider it haram - forbidden.'

'Khola Hassan, a Sunni Muslim and spokesperson for the UK Islamic Sharia Council, says the practice is strictly not allowed. She says it is equal to prostitution because of the time limit applied to the union.

"I have never come across a Sunni scholar, throughout history, who declares mut'ah marriage to be halal," said Mrs Hassan. '

glo
05-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Thanks Muhammad. The article also suggests that nikah mut'ah was practiced at the time of Muhammad, when "men were travelling away from home on business or at war" but was banned by Umar ibn al-Khattab, the second Caliph of Islam.
Is that correct?
Would you say that the article gives a balanced view of the differences in opinion?

Muslim Woman
05-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Hi glo ,

here is a fatwa .

Fatwa No : 82221
Mut'ah (temporary marriage)
Fatwa Date : Rabee' Al-Aakhir 24, 1422 / 16-7-2001

Question

Dear Sir, I am a single Muslim guy living in the U.S. During my stay here, I met several Muslim brothers, who are She'ah. They are trying to convince me that "Zawaj Al Mutah" is HALAL, and that even SHiekh Qaradawi approved it. And that Omar Bin AL Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) is the one who abolished it, and declared it Haram. I would like to hear your fatwa on this. Also, if you could give me resources that answer She'ah allegations from a Sunni point of view? I need to read what we have to say about their point of view. Wa Assalam 'alykom Wa Rahmatu Allah Wa Barakatuh

Answer

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad

, is His slave and Messenger.

Mut'ah (temporary marriage) is for a man to say to a woman with whom there are no marriage impediments, "I would like to enjoy you or marry you for a stipulated period", or to fix a known period in the marriage contract.

The four Imaams

unanimously agreed that this is prohibited. In fact, there is no difference between this temporary marriage and a person who commits Zinaa (adultery or fornication) with a woman with a fixed fee (i.e., prostitution).
There are authentic narrations about the prohibition of this marriage.

For instance, Ali

said to Ibn 'Abbaas

and his father: “The Prophet

, forbade temporary marriage and the meat of donkeys during the battle of Khaybar.
''
Imaam Al-Maaziri

said, "Temporary marriage was lawful in the early period of Islam and then it was abrogated due to the authentic narrations (on the subject).

Moreover, the scholars

agreed in a consensus that it is forbidden. It is only a group of innovators who disagreed with this as they relied on abrogated narrations upon which they have no evidence.

They supported their viewpoint with the recitation of Ibn Mas'ood

‘So for whatever you enjoy [of marriage] from them to a fixed time’, and this recitation is weak and cannot be taken as evidence to be acted upon, since the authentic recitation does not state, ‘to a fixed time.’”

Qaadhi ‘Iyaadh

said, "The scholars

unanimously agreed that this Mut’ah was a marriage for a fixed period without resulting in the right of inheritance; the two spouses separate without divorce after the fixed period ends. Afterward the entire Muslim nation unanimously agreed that this temporary marriage is forbidden with the exception of the Raafidhah (the extreme Shee’ah).”
Ibn 'Abbaas

considered this type of marriage to be lawful initially but soon afterwards he withdrew his ruling.
Moreover, the scholars

unanimously agreed that if this kind of marriage takes place, it is ruled that it is invalid.

It is not true that Shaykh Al-Qaradhaawi, may Allaah preserve him, permitted it.

It is also not correct to say that 'Umar

invalidated it. Rather, it is confirmed that the Prophet

prohibited it
as we have already discussed.
To conclude, we advise you to read the book entitled Minhaaj As-Sunnah An-Nabawiyyah authored by Ibn Taymiyyah

and the book entitled Al-Khutoot Al 'Areedhah authored by Muhib Ad-Deen Al-Khateeb

Allaah Knows best.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...Option=FatwaId

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
05-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Thank you both for your information. I must say that I find the concept of a temporary marriage strange, so it is good to hear the Islamic perspective on this.

Abdul Rafay
06-01-2013, 08:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I don't know how true and representative this article is, but I had not really been aware of a temporary marriage in Islam until I read it.
Can somebody tell me more about nikah mut'ah? I.e. in what circumstances it is (or used to be) used. The article suggests that it was only used in the past at times when men travelled far and/or went to war.

Mutah was banned a long time ago by the Prophet [SAW]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!