/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fear of using verses from the Qur'an, has anyone felt like this before?

Samiun
05-16-2013, 01:36 PM
:sl:, has anyone felt scared of using verses from the Qur'an to prove something towards the disbelievers or advising people? I have the tendency to become scared of using it, it's not because I dislike the verses from the Qur'an but rather, I fear that what I might take from the verses and misinterpret what the Qur'an means because I don't study the Qur'an and Hadeeth. Any advise to help me in this situation?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Jedi_Mindset
05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I reconmend to study tafseer of ibn kathir(Ra) :) You can buy it on the internet although its not cheap.
His work is still classified as very authentic today.

Samiun
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM
^But bro, problem is if you study this kinda thing alone it might lead to the whisper of the devil. I'm not saying Ibn Kathir's work aren't authenticate, it's just that maybe we would try to make our own interpretation based on what we learn from his book but actually we need a teacher to guide us :|

Hulk
05-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Wa alaykumsalam

You are right we should not take such things lightly.

Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) as saying: "He who speaks about the Qur'an on the basis of his personal opinion (only) would find his abode in Hell fire. (Tirmidhi)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
greenhill
05-16-2013, 02:35 PM
True that!

But a journey starts with a single step. You start by reading. Some will make sense, some will perhaps need further clarification. Those that create uncertainty in understanding can always be researched further (through posting it on this forum, for example).

Very rarely will someone be able to quote direct from the Quran or the Hadith after a single read. It will take time to build up understanding and cross references. Seeing as the Quran is a complete guide, it covers a huge area and it is not likely you will grasp every thing that is said in there.

My suggestion is not to look at it as something to quote to disbelievers but more for you to seek answers for yourself. When you do, perhaps you may be able to express your views based on your findings.

The Quran has no conflicting statements or mistakes. If something there appears to be out of sorts, seek advise on the matter. It is there as a guide for us all, so it should not be left only to be opened when there is a teacher to go through it with you. Go through it with the intention to seek the truth, In syaa Allah, you will find it.

Peace

Ahmad H
05-16-2013, 04:45 PM
This is definitely a problem that you haven't studied Qur'an or Ahadith so far. There isn't just Tafsir Ibn Kathir, go to the website www.altafsir.com. If you can learn Arabic as well then you will have access to a lot of useful Tafsirs from the past. Notably ones like Mujahid, Al-Tabari, Al-Baydawi, etc. Don't take this as a hard task, the more Arabic you learn, the more competent you become at understanding the meaning of the Qur'an.

You definitely should avoid making Tafsir yourself, since there are a lot of conditions to do this and you need to make sure that you have years of experience in knowing the Qur'an first. In other words, you'd have to be a scholar of a high calibre. But that doesn't mean you can't use quotations from scholars and the Ahadith. There are Ahadith which explain the meanings of verses. Although, you will still need the online tafsirs in order to properly understand them.

I really think you should use Qur'an to explain things when you have the resources to. The Tafsirs explain a lot. You need to make use of them when some disbeliever is speaking against it. Learn the Qur'an and Ahadith for some time, become familiar with many different topics. Before you can say you are confident and familiar with the Qur'an, you should make a daily habit of reading it, and not just reading it, reciting the Arabic, reading translation, reflecting on the meaning, and applying it to yourself in your daily life.

After learning a lot of it yourself, you will find many questions. So go to a knowledgeable Imam and ask those questions you ask yourself, and then clear those doubts. Then when you have met with your Imam and he tells you you know enough to be able to discuss the Qur'an, then do so.

Warning note though, DO NOT learn Qur'an for the sake of arguing with others. This has been expressly forbidden in Islam. Learn it for your own sake and your own spiritual benefit. After a certain point, you know enough to research the Qur'an using your knowledge to come up with verses to show to disbelievers you argue with, but do not learn it for the sake of arguing with them. Avoid that and make it a lifelong struggle to understand it.

White Rose
05-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Nvm, got the answer.

UmmuShaheed
05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Mashallah,
I also am afraid of using something unless I'm certain about what I'm saying.
Its not something to take lightly, subhanallah.

chuckla
07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Can you read Arabic? If so you're way ahead of me towards understanding the Holy Quran. You've answered your own question, though, when you say you don't study the Quran and Hadeeth. Start studying with a competent teacher, and if you do it in Arabic you'll get it right. A warning though: Most disbelievers are going to scoff at you even if you quote from the Quran correctly. They are programmed to bash Islam, the Quran, and Muhammad. This is especially true of 'Right Wing Conservative Talk Show Hosts' and 'Evangelical Christians'. Peace, chuck

عابر سبيل
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I like to do it personally and do not shy away from it when it supports the general meaning of what I'm saying. It's never to give a DIY fatwah, but just to support something general. Like for example, you want to tell someone Islam is an easy religion, you can easily quote the second verse from Surat Ta Ha. Sometimes we say things that are basically repetitions of what we already know from the Qur'aan, so times like that you can also bring the verse that's saying the same thing. Examples are, Allah is independent of all creation, Allah answers the supplication of the one who calls upon Him in need, He appreciates sincere tawbah, He defends the believers, etc. All these statements are found in many verses in the Qur'aan, so if you ever want to give the reminder, it's nice to attach the verse to go with it.

Ali Mujahidin
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Use a Quranic verse to prove something to an unbeliever? That, to me, does not compute. An unbeliever is someone who does not believe in Allah and does not believe in the Quran. So to use a Quranic verse to prove anything to an unbeliever is, for me, an exercise in futility. Unless, say, the unbeliever challenges you with something like,

Show me where in the Quran does it say that Allah created Adam!

In that case, if you are unschooled in Arabic and the Quran like me, it's just a simple matter of a few clicks of the mouse and you will have at your fingertip the Quranic verse which tells the unbeliever what he demands to know.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!