/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mahr and you

Futuwwa
05-19-2013, 01:41 PM
I just thought it would be interesting to see what kind of mahr practices are prevalent among the membership of Islamicboard.

Married brothers: What did you give your wife as mahr?
Married sisters: What did you get as mahr from your husband?
Unmarried brothers: What do you intend to give your future wife?
Unmarried sisters: What expectations do you have regarding mahr from your future husband?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
piXie
05-19-2013, 03:01 PM
It depends on his financial state.

Futuwwa
05-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Me, I paid off my wife's student debts.

tigerkhan
05-20-2013, 01:36 AM
:sl:
in our culture, mahr in mostly paid in gold and its mostly before marriage. its ranges according to financial position of groom and bride. i am expecting maybe upto 10K US dollar.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
05-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Mahr that I've given were Al-Qur'an, sajada (prayer mat), mukena (female prayer clothes) and small amount gold and money.

Yes, the main mahr in Indonesia is Al-Qur'an. If the groom give gold and money, it's just symbolic and usually in small amount, often less than US$ 500.

There is custom difference that makes mahr in Indonesia is not as big as in Pakistan. In Pakistan, after wedding, the wife will moves to the husband's house and join the husband family.

In Indonesia, after wedding, the husband join the wife family and becomes the part of the wife family. It's means, if necessary, the husband should give contribution to the wife big family, including financial contribution. It's common in Indonesia the wife family ask financial help to the husband. So, with custom like this, of course the women and their families are thinking "why should I demand big mahr if after getting married I can demand anything to him"

Abz2000
05-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Lol I am amazed!
The parents of the son give their son's hand in marriage to the bride!!!
Well at least they have less incentive to kill their daughters.

Mine was I think abt £2k and 50gms of gold
The cash turned out to shrink and the gold is worth More!!
Islamic money (gold & silver)is the best.

ardianto
05-20-2013, 07:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abz2000
Mine was I think abt £2k and 50gms of gold
The cash turned out to shrink and the gold is worth More!!
Islamic money (gold & silver)is the best.
So, when will you ....... :D

UmmuShaheed
05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Asalamu Alaykum,
Culturally the women recieve money, and gold.
I recieved both.
Generally it depends on his financial state, while keeping in mind its never good to place a heavy burden on anyone.

tw009
05-28-2013, 04:50 AM
Is it appropriate to demand an x amount of mahr from the groom? Isn't mahr supposed to be a gift from the groom to the bride?

ardianto
05-28-2013, 07:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
Is it appropriate to demand an x amount of mahr from the groom? Isn't mahr supposed to be a gift from the groom to the bride?
Mahr is first gift from the husband to the wife that given by request. How much mahr is determined by the bride, not the groom. The bride can demand anything. But of course, the bride must notice the groom ability. If the groom is rich, demand big mahr is okay. But if the groom is not rich, the bride must not demand big mahr.

-----

Unfortunately, there are people who take advantage on this. They push their daughter to demand big mahr, because they want that mahr too. This is wrong, because mahr is the bride rights and will become property of the bride.

Abdul Rafay
06-01-2013, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Futuwwa
I just thought it would be interesting to see what kind of mahr practices are prevalent among the membership of Islamicboard.

Married brothers: What did you give your wife as mahr?
Married sisters: What did you get as mahr from your husband?
Unmarried brothers: What do you intend to give your future wife?
Unmarried sisters: What expectations do you have regarding mahr from your future husband?
uhh two hundred dollars/...khalass

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!