/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Holding and reading the Quran without wudhu

QueenofHerts
05-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Some people are saying this is allowed, can anyone please help!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aisha
05-26-2013, 09:38 PM

:sl:
It is Haram to touch a Mushaf without being in the state of wudhu, according to all four schools of thought.
As for reading from memory, it is allowed to recite (without touching a textual copy) without wudhu, unless one is in need of Ghusl.

:wa:

Amat Allah
05-26-2013, 10:10 PM
The same answer I am gonna give as stated above but detailed a bit

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz was asked a similar question, and he said:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to touch the Qur’aan when he does not have wudoo, according to the majority of scholars. This is the view of the four imaams (may Allaah be pleased with them), and this was the view expressed in the fatwas of the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). A saheeh hadeeth concerning that has been narrated from ‘Amr ibn Hazm (may Allaah be pleased with him), stating that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) wrote to the people of Yemen: “No one should touch the Qur’aan except one who is taahir (pure).” This is a jayyid hadeeth which has a number of other isnaads which strengthen it. Hence it is known that it not permissible to touch the Qur’aan except in a state of purity from both major and minor impurity.

The same applies to moving it from place to place, if the person who is moving it is not taahir. But if he touches it or moves it with something in between, such as picking it up in a wrapper, then it is OK. But if he touches it directly when he is not taahir, this is not permitted according to the saheeh view of the majority of scholars, for the reasons stated above. With regard to reciting it, it is OK for him to recite it from memory when he is without wudoo’, or for him to read it if the Qur’aan is held by someone who asks him to correct or prompt him.

But the person who is junub, i.e., in a state of major impurity, should not recite Qur’aan, because it was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that nothing ever kept him from reciting Qur’aan except for janaabah (major impurity). Ahmad narrated with a saheeh isnaad from ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out from the toilet and recited something from the Qur’aan. He said, “This is for the one who is not junub; but the one who is junub should not do this, not even one aayah.”

The point is that the one who is junub should not recite Qur’aan either from the Mus-haf or from memory, until he has taken a bath (ghusl). But the one who has broken his wudoo’ and is impure in the sense of minor impurity may recite Qur’aan from memory but she should not touch the Mus-haf.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), 10/150

The Source: http://islamqa.info/en/ref/10672

QueenofHerts
05-27-2013, 02:49 AM
Thank you and what about the non muslims? whats the rule for them?>

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
faithandpeace
05-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Does this refer to the Qur'an in its original language and/or a Qur'an in Arabic with translation in another language or does it also apply to handling a Qur'an that is a translation-only (no Arabic)?

Amat Allah
05-27-2013, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QueenofHerts
Thank you and what about the non muslims? whats the rule for them?>
It is not permissible for them to touch it at all honey and you can hand them a translation of it In Shaa Allah.

format_quote Originally Posted by faithandpeace
Does this refer to the Qur'an in its original language and/or a Qur'an in Arabic with translation in another language or does it also apply to handling a Qur'an that is a translation-only (no Arabic)?
For Muslims; that refers to the Qur'aan in its original language only and not the Books of Tafseer but for non-Muslims it is Haraam (forbidden) to touch Qur'aan whether in its original language only or Qur'aan in Arabic with whatever translation but if you want then you can hand them a pure translation of the Qur'aan which has no Arabic texts In Shaa Allah.

faithandpeace
05-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Jazakallah khair for your clarification on this. I am a new Muslimah and do not yet own a Qur'an in its original language or one with Arabic/English side-by-side. I just have the English translation which I feel is a great start and insha'Allah I will own both one with Arabic/English side-by-side and one purely in Arabic. I am glad someone brought this topic up because I want to make sure I am doing things correctly as well.

snowflake122
05-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Assalamu alaikum ,

I did not know about the non muslim thing before. Jazaka Allahu khair for the information.

One of my muslim friends gave a Quran (Arabic text with English translation ) to a non muslim friend when she asked for it (she wanted to know more about Islamic teaching s ). . Should she take it back as this is not allowed???

Amat Allah
05-28-2013, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by faithandpeace
Jazakallah khair for your clarification on this. I am a new Muslimah and do not yet own a Qur'an in its original language or one with Arabic/English side-by-side. I just have the English translation which I feel is a great start and insha'Allah I will own both one with Arabic/English side-by-side and one purely in Arabic. I am glad someone brought this topic up because I want to make sure I am doing things correctly as well.
And you too honey Aameeeeen Welcome my sweetheart to Islam (Allahu Akbar) and to islamic board as a new precious and dear member of our big family...hope you find all answers you are searching for after roaming different sections of the forum but if not then never shy or hesitate asking whatever you want sweetie In Shaa Allah ^_^

May Allah love you, Be with you and make you from the best of His servants and slaves always and forever Aameeeeen

format_quote Originally Posted by snowflake122
Assalamu alaikum ,

I did not know about the non muslim thing before. Jazaka Allahu khair for the information.

One of my muslim friends gave a Quran (Arabic text with English translation ) to a non muslim friend when she asked for it (she wanted to know more about Islamic teaching s ). . Should she take it back as this is not allowed???
Wa Alikumu Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh darling,

I am afraid of causing more harm by taking it back from that non- muslim sister than good, why?

Because that sister may now thinking about Islam and so but if taking the Qur'aan from her she may consider it so rude and that may make her refrain from the whole Idea...So, this matter is following the principle of doing the lesser of two evils so as to ward off the greater evil.

Then the answer is: just leave it this time but tell that muslim friend about the ruling of handing Qur'aan to non- muslims In shaa Allah so she knows and tell her that there is no sin on her for doing it that time because she knew not the ruling and Allah says:

"And when those come to you who believe in Our verses, say, "Peace be upon you. Your Lord has decreed upon Himself mercy: that any of you who does wrong out of ignorance and then repents after that and corrects himself - indeed, He is Forgiving and Merciful." (54)" Surat Al An'aam

May Allah love you both and give ya the best always and guide that non muslim sister to His path of Mercy Aameeeen

And Allah knows the best

Muhammad
05-28-2013, 10:22 PM
:salamext:

On the issue of translations and explanations of the Qur'an, it's worth noting that some scholars have mentioned some details to this. For example:

As for touching some explanations of the Qur'an, the ruling is that if the original text of the Qur'an is more than the explanation then it takes the ruling of the Qur'an itself. Imam Nawawi said, If the books of explanation of the Qur'an contain more text of the Qur'an than the explanation then it takes the ruling of the Qur'an itself such as the books that explain only difficult words of the Qur'an . If the explanation exceeds the text of the Qur'an, then one may touch it without Wudu. The same rule applies to any translation of the Qur'an.
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=86206

It's worth researching it further :ia:.

sister herb
05-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Salam alaykum

One my friend told me that jinns don´t come to your house if you have the Quran by Arabic in your house. One other told it is just same by what language the Quran is, by Arabic or other language.

One other told it doesn´t matter, the Quran is just as explanation and a book. Most reason is that Islam is in your heart.

What might be true?

Muhammad
05-28-2013, 10:48 PM
:wasalamex

The best thing is to recite the Qur'an:

...So the protection which will prevent the evil of the jinn is for a person to recite that which is narrated in the sunnah as being effective in providing protection, such as ayat al-Kurisy, for if a person recites ayat al-Kursiy at night, he will continue to have protection from Allah, and no shaytan will come near him until morning. And Allah is the Protector.’” (Majmoo’ Fatawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen)

The sunnah mentions adhkhar by means of which one may gain protection from the shayateen (devils). These include:

Seeking refuge with Allah from the jinn:

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if an evil whisper from shaytaan tries to turn you away (O Muhammad) (from doing good), then seek refuge in Allah. Verily, He is the All‑Hearer, the All‑Knower” [41:36]

“And if an evil whisper comes to you from shaytaan, then seek refuge with Allah. Verily, He is All-Hearer, All-Knower” [7:200]

It was narrated from Sulayman ibn Sard that two men were trading insults in the presence of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon them), until the face of one of them turned red. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “I know a word which, if he were to say it, what he is suffering from would go away: ‘A’oodhu Billahi min al-Shaytan il-rajeem (I seek refuge with Allah from the accursed shaytan).’” (al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

2 – Reciting al-Mu’awwidhatayn (the last two chapters of the Quran, al-Falaq and al-Nas).

It was narrated that Abu Sa’id al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to seek refuge with Allah from the jinn and from the evil eye until the Mu’awwidhatayn were revealed, and when they were revealed he started to recite them and not anything else.”

(al-Tirmidhi, al-Nasaa’i, Ibn Maajah.

3 – Reciting ayat al-Kursiy

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) put me in charge of guarding the zakah (charity) of Ramadan. Someone came to me and started grabbing handfuls of the food. I took hold of him and said, ‘I will take you to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).’ He said, ‘I will teach you some words by means of which Allah will benefit you.’ I said, ‘What are they?’ He said, ‘When you go to your bed, recite this ayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyoom (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists)…” [2:255] – until he completed the ayah. Then Allah will appoint a guard for you who will stay with you and no shaytan (devil) will come near you until morning.’ The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) asked me, ‘What did your prisoner do last night?’ I said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, he taught me something, and claimed that Allah would benefit me by it.’ He said, ‘What was it?’ I said, ‘He taught me to recite ayat al-Kursiy when I go to bed, and said that no shaytan would come near me until morning, and that Allah would appoint a guard for me who would stay with me.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, ‘He told you the truth, although he is an inveterate liar. That was the shaytan.’” (al-Bukhaari)

4 – Reciting Surat al-Baqarah

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Do not make your houses like graves, for the shaytan runs away from a house in which Surat al-Baqarah is recited.” (Muslim)

5 – The last verses of Surat al-Baqarah

It was narrated that Abu Mas’ood al-Ansari said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever recites the last two verses of Surat al-Baqarah at night, that will suffice him.’” (al-Bukhaari, Muslim)

It was narrated from al-Nu’man ibn Basheer (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Allah inscribed a book two thousand years before He created the heavens and the earth, from which the last two ayahs of Surat al-Baqarah were revealed. If they are recited for three nights, no shaytan (devil) will remain in the house”. (al-Tirmidhi).

6 – Reciting “La ilaha ill-Allah wahdahu la shareeka lah, lahu’l-mulk wa lahu’l-hamd wa huwa ‘ala kulli shayin qadeer (There is no god except Allah Alone with no partner or associate; His is the Sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is able to do all things)” one hundred times.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever says “La ilaha ill-Allah wahdahu la shareeka lah, lahu’l-mulk wa lahu’l-hamd wa huwa ‘ala kulli shayin qadeer” one hundred times in the day, will have a reward equivalent to that of freeing ten slaves, one hundred hasanahs (good deeds) will be recorded for him, and one hundred sayiahs (bad deeds) will be erased from his record, and it will be protection for him from the shaytan for that day, until evening comes. No one could achieve any better than him except the one who does more than he did.”
(al-Bukhaari, Muslim)

7 – Remembering Allah often (dhikr)

It was narrated from al-Harith al-Ash’ari that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Allah commanded Yahya ibn Zakariya (peace be upon him) five things to follow and to enjoin upon the Children of Israel… and he commanded them to remember Allah, and the likeness of that is a man who was being pursued by the enemy, until he reached a strong fortress in which he found protection; similarly a man cannot find protection from the shaytan except by remembering Allah…” (al-Tirmidhi)

8 – The adaan (call to prayer)

It was narrated that Suhayl ibn Abi Salih said: “My father sent me to Bani Harithah, and there was with me a slave of ours, or a companion of ours. Someone called out his name from a garden, and the one who was with me looked into the garden and did not see anything. I mentioned that to my father, and he said, ‘If I had known that this was going to happen to you, I would not have sent you. But if you hear a voice then make the call for prayer, for I heard Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrating that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “When the shaytan hears the call to prayer, he runs away fast.”’” (Muslim).

The word translated here as “runs away fast” may also mean “passes wind.”

9 – Reciting Quran offers protection against the shaytan

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when you (Muhammad) recite the Quran, We put between you and those who believe not in the Hereafter, an invisible veil (or screen their hearts, so they hear or understand it not) [17:45]

And Allah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/10513

Amat Allah
05-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Wa Alikumu Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh

Jazaakumu Allahu khayer Al Jazaa my respected and noble brother Aameeeen

I have read what you have posted above before May Allah love you Aameeen

format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
the books that explain only difficult words of the Qur'an
Such books are The Qur'aan itself having the short meaning of difficult words; written on the outer side of the pages and not even all pages. (mine is one of them). and can't be called Taf'seer ever cause they explain not the verses of the Qur'aan but only few words of it.

Alhamdulilah that you have posted it here so everyone knows the matter from all its sides...Baaraka Allahu feekum wa razaqakum Firdawsahu Al Alaa Bella Hisaab Aameeeen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!