/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Muslim Nurses

Almostready
05-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,

I just got accepted into a Nursing Program I applied for and it starts in the Fall of 2013. What I was wondering is how do you wear your Hijab to work? is there a style that is easier for the access of your stethoscope? Does the hospital accommodate you for prayers? Have you had any issues in the workplace as a Muslim nurse? Sorry for all the questions, just excited. I am still getting used to wearing my Hijab so I was wondering what tips and advice you would have for working in this field. Thanks for any help you can give : )

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Signor
06-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Waalikum Assalam

If I spotted them correctly,We have sisters here associated with medical profession,maybe they can help

~Zaria~
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Almostready
Assalamu Alaikum,

I just got accepted into a Nursing Program I applied for and it starts in the Fall of 2013. What I was wondering is how do you wear your Hijab to work? is there a style that is easier for the access of your stethoscope? Does the hospital accommodate you for prayers? Have you had any issues in the workplace as a Muslim nurse? Sorry for all the questions, just excited. I am still getting used to wearing my Hijab so I was wondering what tips and advice you would have for working in this field. Thanks for any help you can give : )

:wasalam: sister,

Alhamdulillah, and congrats on your post.

What I was wondering is how do you wear your Hijab to work? is there a style that is easier for the access of your stethoscope?
This is called the 'Stethoscope friendly hijab' (which allows easy access to your ears, without the risk of your hijab slipping off):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...4W0FsRvzo#t=0s
(video for sisters only)

In shaa Allah, in time, you will grow to love the niqaab my dear sister.
There is no better protection that exists for a woman, than by means of the face-veil - alhamdulillah, there is great wisdom in all of Allah (subhanawataƔla)s commands upon us.
(If you wish to read more about the niqaab in shaa Allah: http://www.islamicboard.com/clarific...art-islam.html)

Does the hospital accommodate you for prayers?
Each work-place is unique, and depending on the number of muslims present, there may already be a prayer room (jamaat khana) at the hospital.
If not, then a quiet room will suffice.

It would be a good idea to inform your working collegues of prayer times. And in order to accommodate everyone, it may be necessary to shorten your lunch-break/ move your tea-times (so that you can give yourself time for salaah).

Have you had any issues in the workplace as a Muslim nurse? Sorry for all the questions, just excited. I am still getting used to wearing my Hijab so I was wondering what tips and advice you would have for working in this field. Thanks for any help you can give : )

My humble advise - to all my sisters in the work-field:

Allah (subhanawata'la) has blessed you with knowledge and the abilities that you have, are ONLY as a result of His favours upon you.
In view of this, our focus should be on attaining His pleasure, and to avoid (using the very blessings that He provided us with) to result in His displeasure.

Sometimes, we may think that we are doing alot of 'good works' by helping others, etc - yet, little do we realise that we are transgressing so many of His commands upon us, that in fact we are incurring His anger in this manner.

Im reminded of the words of the late Ml Yunus Patel (ra):

For the Lover of Allah, his concern at every step is: "Is my Allah pleased with this step?
When he speaks, "Is my Allah pleased with this speech?"
On his every action: "Is my Allah pleased with this action?"

In a similar manner, we should ensure that whenever we leave the house, our focus is FIRST to fulfill the rights of Allah......and then, in shaa Allah, all else will fall into place.

So, the manner in which we dress, our speech, our interactions with the opposite gender, fulfilling the duties to ones spouse and family, etc - all need to be in accordance with quraan and sunaah, if we desire to be in the workplace.

Each career carries its own share of challenges and you may feel uncertain about your role at some stages.
If ever you are in doubt or need advice about how you should approach a particular situation, it is a good idea to seek counsel with your local imam/ those knowledgeable in this regard.

May Allah Taa'la place barakaat (blessings) in all our efforts, and keep our intentions sincere, seeking only Him in all that we do.
Ameen

:wasalam:

crimsontide06
06-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Go to google, click images and type "surgery caps for women"

I searched before telling you this..it should help you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Almostready
06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Thank you for your help. I watched the video and I loved her idea. I see she has more so I will have to look for them. Coming to Islam has been a change for me but I love every minute of it. I have have wanted to be a nurse for so long so I am honored that Allah has blessed me and I want to show my respect and love by making sure I am still obedient even in the work place. I was concerned about finding a place to pray but you are right even if there is no set room it should not be hard to find a quiet room in a hospital. Thanks again for all the advice.

glo
06-14-2013, 08:47 AM
I am not a nurse (or a Muslim) and I don't work in the hospital environment anymore - but I know that our local hospital has a chapel (I expect most hospitals have them) with a section partitioned off for Muslims to pray in.

Here is the UK many Muslims work in the medical professions and I think provisions simply have to made to meet their needs ... otherwise the health service loses valuable members of staff. :)

Perhaps it is different in the US, but I wish you well - both on your faith journey and your career one. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!