/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean whoever turns away from my Sunnah (i.e., my way) is not from me

bangaliteen
06-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Anas reported that: “Three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet and asked how his worship was. When they were informed, they considered their own worship to be insignificant and said: ‘Where are we in comparison to the Prophet when Allah has forgiven his past and future sins?’ One of them said: ‘As for me, I shall offer prayer all night long.’ Another said: ‘I shall observe fasting perpetually, never to break it.’ Another said: ‘I shall abstain from women and will never marry.’ The Prophet then came to them and said: “Are you the people who said such things? I swear By Allah that I fear Allah more than you do, and I am most obedient and dutiful among you to Him, but still, I observe fasting (sometimes) and break it (at others); I perform (optional) prayer (at night sometimes) and sleep at night (at others); I also marry. So whoever turns away from my Sunnah (i.e., my way) is not from me.” [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Does it mean whoever leaves or don't follow a Sunnah , then they are not Muslim????????
I dont think any1 follows all the Sunnahs of Prophet Muhammad (saw) so I don't get what the hadith is saying

some1 clarify

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
I came across this, and Allaah :swt: knows best.

...His saying: “…my Sunnah…” did not refer to the Islaamic categorization which refers to recommended acts rather than obligatory ones. Rather, it refers to his complete manner in life and his approach to every matter. He

instructed them that the one who worships in any way other than his is not from him, meaning, that he does not follow him; here, he

was alluding to the methods that monks have, who innovated extreme ways of worship for which they have been dispraised by Allaah.
The one who worships in a way other than that of the Prophet

has not left the fold of Islam if he did it in ignorance or was mistaken in his interpretation of the Sunnah, but if he does it due to wishing to deliberately shun the way of the Prophet

and thinks that his way and method is better, then he has committed an act of disbelief...
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...cles&id=140467

Praise be to Allaah.

The word “Sunnah” has two meanings:

the path of guidance, which is the meaning in many ahaadeeth, such as the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever turns away from my Sunnah has nothing to do with me.”

What the scholars of usool and fiqh call “mustahabb (encouraged)”, which are deeds for which the one who does them will be rewarded, but the one who does not do them will not deserve to be punished for that. Examples include al-Sunan al-Rawaatib (Sunnah prayers which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did regularly), Salaat al-Duhaa and so on.

Therefore, a person will not be punished for not doing things which are Sunnah in the second sense. With regard to the first definition, this is not the case, for these are divided into things which are obligatory (waajib) and things which are supererogatory (naafil)...
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/6586

bangaliteen
06-04-2013, 07:42 PM
So that hadith was only referring to how one prays salah???

Muhammad
06-04-2013, 07:52 PM
No sister, I think you misunderstood. The word 'Sunnah' can have different meanings depending on the context. From what I understood, the hadeeth you mentioned is not referring to the optional Sunnahs.

Allaah :swt: knows best. For further clarification, it's best to ask a scholar or Imam :ia:.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bangaliteen
06-04-2013, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
No sister, I think you misunderstood. The word 'Sunnah' can have different meanings depending on the context. From what I understood, the hadeeth you mentioned is not referring to the optional Sunnahs.

Allaah :swt: knows best. For further clarification, it's best to ask a scholar or Imam :ia:.
So whoever leaves the fard Sunnahs they are not Muslim?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!