/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why were Jews ‘the chosen ones’?

greenhill
06-09-2013, 03:20 PM
“O Children of Israel! Call to mind the special favour which I bestowed upon you, and that I preferred you to all others (for My Message).” (2:122 & 2:47)

We did aforetime grant to the Children of Israel the Book the Power of Command, and Prophethood; We gave them, for Sustenance, things good and pure; and We favoured them above the nations.(45:16)

Why would Allah prefer them to all others?

If we look consider the period in which the ayahs were referring to, it would be during the times of the Pharaonic Egypt. It was when the Pharaohs considered themselves god. The Egyptians believed it but the Jews did not! They refused to submit to Pharaoh as their god and as a result were made to suffer.

For their faithfulness and belief, Allah chose their nation over others and eventually rewarded them with their prophet, Moses (pbuh).

In this we can see also that Allah has been consistent, that even if you knew no ‘laws’ for conduct but you do not associate any other to Allah, you will be ‘favoured’ as the Jews were back then. And in the Quran, the biggest sin by a long way is to syirk. What of the Jews back then? What laws of Abraham (pbuh) survived except for Allah being the One True God and certain ritual practices like circumcision and sacrifices? It is hardly surprising then that Allah favoured them because of their faith in Him.

But following on from there is a whole different prospect altogether…very much like some of us in this day and age, born into the Deen, and in the right environment, but not paying heed to the message.

Allah knows best.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Signor
06-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Simple Rules of Tafseer:

• One part of Quraan interprets the other
  • Hadith(saying+Actions) Interprets Quraan
  • Ta'weel:

1) To understand a word in light of one of its connotations, despite the fact that this connotation is not the primary intent of the word.

2) To explain a word or phrase.(Taweel in General)

3) The actuality of an event( Taweel in particular)

Now why I am here teaching you Usool of Tafseer,Its because you failed to consider these rules in explaining these ayahs.Like about the Jews later in Surah Al Imran ayah 112

They have been put under humiliation [by Allah ] wherever they are overtaken, except for a covenant from Allah and a rope from the Muslims. And they have drawn upon themselves anger from Allah and have been put under destitution. That is because they disbelieved in the verses of Allah and killed the prophets without right. That is because they disobeyed and [habitually] transgressed.

The point I am trying to make here is None on forums can interprets ayahs properly and fully.We are not ulemas.If you want to understand Buy a tafsir or download an e-book tafsir for free(recommendation would be tafsir Ibn Kathir).They will provide you every thing with explanatory notes and Insha Allah they will help to understand Qur'an better.

Assalamu Alaikum

Snel
06-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Interesting subject. But as Signor said, the Jews did not do well. Saying that Allah is one is not enough. Besides, weren't they praying to a golden calf once during the history of Mosa?

Ahmad H
06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Read verses 2:51-52 in the Holy Qur'an, Allah still forgave the Jews for worshiping the calf. The Jews made a lot of mistakes, but in the beginning they had Musa (as), so he interceded a lot on behalf of his own people. Remember, even after that whole incident, the Jews eventually inherited the land of Israel. So they were definitely favored by Allah in their time. When reading the Qur'an you get a sense of that.

But this doesn't mean they were the only ones who were favored. These are not mere stories in the Qur'an. They are meant to show us Muslims that Allah will do the same for us since now we are favored because we follow the Last Law to mankind. We have accepted the complete message of Islam. It is also a warning to not be like the Jews as it says in the Qur'an: "Not of those who incurred Thy displeasure" (1:7). There is a deep significance behind this and a very good reason why Surah Fatihah, which we read over 30 times in one day during Salat, has this message. We pray to not fall into the same errors the Jews did. This is why these stories are narrated in the Qur'an. It makes sense since the Qur'an is a "Reminder" for mankind. There is a reason why it has this name. It's very message is a reminder to us. A reminder to be different and be above our earthly natures.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali Mujahidin
06-10-2013, 03:37 AM
The Jews are the 'chosen ones'???

Sorry, I beg to differ. I have been taught time and again that the ummah at the end viz the ummah of the Holy Prophet are the special ones. We live at the end of the story, so to say. There are no more prophets after the Holy Prophet. The divine book of instructions for living a good life viz the Holy Quran has been completely transmitted to us. So we, if there are any people who can claim such a connotation, are the 'chosen ones'.

Is there any evidence that we are not the 'chosen ones'?

Signor
06-10-2013, 04:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali Mujahidin
Sorry, I beg to differ. I have been taught time and again that the ummah at the end viz the ummah of the Holy Prophet are the special ones. We live at the end of the story, so to say. There are no more prophets after the Holy Prophet. The divine book of instructions for living a good life viz the Holy Quran has been completely transmitted to us. So we, if there are any people who can claim such a connotation, are the 'chosen ones'.
Assalamu Alaikum Ali

No one has taught you wrongly,We indeed becomes the chosen ones after this crown has been taken away from Jews.However,It doesn't means we have a sure shot visa to Heaven.Its not a bed of roses rather a burden comes with responsibility.Whether our Ummah has been able to fulfill our duties with Allah's blessings on our side and have done our work,Qur'an will be giving a testimony far/against ourselves on judgement day regarding this matter.

Regards

greenhill
06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Thank you Signor for your feedback. Just in case you missed it, I did say in my last paragraph that 'following from there is a different prospect altogether' meaning that they (the Jews) no longer can claim to be the chosen ones. It was only for that period.
Say: "O ye of Jewry! If ye think that ye are friends to Allah, to the exclusion of (other) men, then express your desire for Death, if ye are truthful!" (62:6)

Ali Mujahidin,
Say, [O Muhammad], "Praise be to Allah , and peace upon His servants whom He has chosen. Is Allah better or what they associate with Him?" (27:59)

This is one verse that says what you are trying to point out. I have seen others that is said to our beloved prophet, Muhammad (s.a.w).

Ahmad H,
The Quran says on several occasions of people that Allah has chosen and those He favoured.
And Ishmael and Elisha and Jonah and Lot - and all [of them] We preferred over the worlds.
(6:86)
There are others, too.

Unfortunately, most of these other statements of those 'chosen' or 'favoured' people are generally sidelined by our memory and only the outdated perception that the Jews were the chosen lot remains in the forefront of the mind.

Salaam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!