/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it permissible to give Zakah in form of food vouchers instead of cash ?

Muslim Woman
06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
:sl:

January 21, 2013

Q: Is it permissible to give Zakah to someone in the form of food vouchers instead of cash?

الجواب حامدا ومصليا ومنه الصدق والصواب

A: It is permissible to give food vouchers instead of cash. However, the Zakah will only be discharged once the recipient receives the food. A food voucher is an assignment of debt against the issuer of the food voucher (food provider) and is not wealth in itself. Thus, the receipt of the food voucher by the recipient does not discharge the obligation of Zakah. Upon receipt of the food the recipient possesses the food on behalf of the transferor (i.e., person giving the voucher) and then for him/herself.

ففى رد المحتار: وفى صورتين لا يجوز: الأولى أداء الدين عن العين كجعله ما فى ذمة مديونه زكاة لماله الحاضر ، بخلاف ما إذا أمر فقيرا بقبض دين له على آخر عن زكاة عين عنده فإنه يجوز لأنه عند قبض الفقير يصير عينا فكان عينا عن عين. (كتاب الزكاة ، 2/270-271)

وفيه: (قوله: ولا يجوز من غيره) أى لا يجوز تمليك الدين من غير من عليه الدين ، إلا إذا سلطه عليه ، واستثنى فى الأشباه من ذلك ثلاث صور. الأولى: إذا سلطه على قبضه ، فيكون وكيلا قابضا للمولى ثم لنفسه ، الثانية: الحوالة ،الثالثة: الوصية. (كتاب البيوع ، باب المرابحة والتولية ، فصل فى التصرف فى المبيع والثمن قبل القبض والزيادة ، 5/152-153)

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Mohammed Zubair Butt

Al-Qalam Sharī‘ah Panel

- See more at: http://www.islamicteachings.org/foru....Akay4hp9.dpuf

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Interesting.

Just a thought. American money is basically just a voucher and of no value in itself. It is simply a piece of printed paper, or a coin made of low value metal. It is of no value until redeemed for goods.

I wonder why a food voucher is considered any different from say a $100 note? Both food vouchers and modern cash are essentially just vouchers.

Just my view for the purpose of discussion.

Ummshareef
09-15-2013, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Interesting.

Just a thought. American money is basically just a voucher and of no value in itself. It is simply a piece of printed paper, or a coin made of low value metal. It is of no value until redeemed for goods.

I wonder why a food voucher is considered any different from say a $100 note? Both food vouchers and modern cash are essentially just vouchers.

Just my view for the purpose of discussion.
That's what I was thinking!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!