/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When to reply to islamic greeting

andromeda50
07-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I am a non muslim, but My daughter converted to islam and is raising her children as muslim. If I send a card to the children is it ok for me to address them with islamic greeting of assalumu alaikum. If they recieve cards
addressed in this way, how should they respond.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
07-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Greetings Andromeda50, and welcome to the forum

format_quote Originally Posted by andromeda50
I am a non muslim, but My daughter converted to islam and is raising her children as muslim. If I send a card to the children is it ok for me to address them with islamic greeting of assalumu alaikum.
Yes.

format_quote Originally Posted by andromeda50
If they recieve cards addressed in this way, how should they respond.
The reply to your greeting should be "wa alaikum".

Assalaamu alaikum means "peace be on you." Wa alaikum means "and on you".

Narrated Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (peace and salutations of Allah be upon him) said, "If the people of the Scripture greet you, then you should say (in reply), 'Wa'alaikum (And on you).' (Sahih al-Bukhari 6258)

Please note though, that not everyone is aware of the way of replying that's been taught by the Prophet (peace and salutations of Allah be upon him), so you may get different wording, but that doesn't mean they're being rude by not using the above. Most likely it is that they don't know.

And Allah knows best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!